Putting gun on target after rollout

WildBillKelsoe

Oculus does A LOT to enhance depth perception. I enjoyed looking down at the ground and estimating my elevation to a pretty close approximation. It jacked up my inner ear though because it was so much more realistic that my inner ear kept anticipating Gs on bank. I can't deal with the illegible sensors though, so I don't use it much. Looking forward to the release ver.

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

Oculus does A LOT to enhance depth perception. I enjoyed looking down at the ground and estimating my elevation to a pretty close approximation. It jacked up my inner ear though because it was so much more realistic that my inner ear kept anticipating Gs on bank. I can't deal with the illegible sensors though, so I don't use it much. Looking forward to the release ver.

I am eagerly waiting on consumer version release. I think it will be a game changer.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I'm looking forward to the TrackEAR that will manipulate the inner ear so we can 'feel the bird'. (ETA 20 years)

How about a TrackGseat which gives you the sensation of Gs lol, black and red yourself out lol.(BTW these cost millions)

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

As dk2 user and nvidia 3dvision user, everything becomes much easier in this sim with depth perception. I can do my best gun runs in the dk2 but it does get old having lower res with that thing. But my primary of 3dvision on a 55 inch screen is just as good. You just don't realize how much a game changer vr or 3d is u til you try it and just do simple flight maneuvers. 2d will be dead in 5 years time.

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

eagerly waiting

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

How about a TrackGseat which gives you the sensation of Gs lol, black and red yourself out lol.(BTW these cost millions)

Those where you can black yourself out are somewhat limited in their functionality as well and only lend themselves to very basic simulation functionality.

Check post #27 in this thread though. :)

Probably you've seen youtube vids where real A-10 pilots quickly puts their gun reticle on target after rollout, almost instantaneous clamped to target on reaching wings level. How can one achieve this? And in windy conditions, how as well? Is it a question of practice? Or do they use specific references inside cockpit?

PS real pilots do not have static weather :smartass:

There is a few things that I do to get more than one truck in a single straff pass.

1/ reference points. So there is something near the tgt that I use as a marker/reference point in selecting the tgt.

2/ For training I use 2 x 10 truck convoys and see how many I get in the first pass so main reference points are the road and location of the tgts is in between 2 villages so I have good reference points for the straffing. But after 1st pass I have to do low level passes and pick out the undestroyed vehicles so I'm effectively using the Avenger cannon as a sniper rifle.

3/ 2nd pass I roll out after the turn in a shallow dive with FPM near tgt reference point and continue until the tgt(which looks like a black dot) is in the circle and place the dot on tgt and burst then I move to 2nd tgt burst then third.

4/ Throttle is full military but I have reduced speed in dives to allow more time but I do not use speed brake.

The trick is 2-3000ft, shallow dive and place the FPM or circle close to reference point where tgt is. IMO vehicles are easy troops are invisible and so require reference point to nail.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

As dk2 user and nvidia 3dvision user, everything becomes much easier in this sim with depth perception. I can do my best gun runs in the dk2 but it does get old having lower res with that thing. But my primary of 3dvision on a 55 inch screen is just as good. You just don't realize how much a game changer vr or 3d is u til you try it and just do simple flight maneuvers. 2d will be dead in 5 years time.

I have to agree... 3D, is the "duck's whatsits" and an effective way of achieving this, is a game changer

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

You can read instruments with the rift currently. Depending on how good your eyes are. Also you can move forward to read them more clearly it's actually quite natural movement when u do. Sure I imagine the Vive and cv1 will be much better but it is doable now. Just an adjustment just how you had to adjust certain things when you got trac ir first time.

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

But you shouldn't have to. I can sit in the real pit and read all the gauges, I don't have to lean forward to read them.

Well that's the state of things currently, word is its much improved with the Vive and cv1. Either way I'm vr from now on when the officials are released.

I'll take the plunge once the consumer is out.

One thing I noticed, is that in static weather missions, if you know where the gun pipper is in relation to the TVV (for example,left and 2 X width of TVV, down and 3 X height of TVV or a suitable reference) you can have consistent results only if you attack from same bearing.

Edited by WildBillKelsoe

But you shouldn't have to. I can sit in the real pit and read all the gauges, I don't have to lean forward to read them.
Same kind of thing could be said about looking around as you would when sitting in the real cockpit. All you need is your upper body and neck, not a mouse, POV hat or trackir device.

A question of personal preference. Fortunately we are free to choose.

Same kind of thing could be said about looking around as you would when sitting in the real cockpit. All you need is your upper body and neck, not a mouse, POV hat or trackir device.

A question of personal preference. Fortunately we are free to choose.

Different than not being able to read gauges but whatever.

I read on the side of a milkshake that after 10k hours practice you can become an expert at anything. The milkshake claimed to help in that process:music_whistling:

very true muscle memory is a wonderful thing. Change your sop with new tech or whatever with this sim and next thing you know you can accomplish anythng with what others think is not to the standard equipment.

But back to the point of gun runs and the pilots consistency, well its that its a battle drill and exercise that is done over and over thus it becomes second nature. Most of those pilots could operate blind folded so to speak

Most of those pilots could operate blind folded so to speak

Often times with their hands tied behind there back!

Moral of the story is clear, practice makes perfect. Do it the same way every time and you will get the hang of it.

Specs:

Fractal Design Define R5 Black, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E, Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake @ 5.1 GHz, MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X, Corsair H110i, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (2x16GB), Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB SSD

got it. thanks. Off to practice!