Looking for Flight Instructor and/or Virtual Squadron

pantaros

Hey Guys,

I've been flying for about a month now. I really got into this, studied my ass off. Read the manual twice, ran all the training missions twice. Spent HOURS watching youtube videos, printed dozens of checklists, and even went to Staples and had a 40 page checklist and instructions book laminated and bound so I can use dry erase on em.

I taught myself how to fly and at the very least become decent at:

1) All weapons, their profiles, inventory and delivery (including using the laser range finder for GPS bombs)

2) I can enter waypoints, elevations, DTTG and DTOT, LASTE, Windage, in the CDU learning more every day.

3) Land pretty well VFR, getting better at ILS bad weather night landings. (crabbing is hard for me)

4) Use the targeting pod effectively, broadcast my spi, set markpoints, etc.

5) Working on Aerial refueling (I think its a curve issue with my x55)

EDIT: I can start the bird and shut her down by memory using all game switches and no keybinds.

I've done a few missions, Smerch hunt, sitting ducks, surrounded, both easy instant actions, 2 bridges, and started the Maple Flag BFT campaign.

What I'm afraid of...is that I'm 100% self taught is that I'm building bad habits because I'm finding ways to get things done. I really want to learn to do everything the right way because my end goal is to join up with a virtual squadron and play with the big boys one day.

I guess the TL/DR is...if your a flight instructor or a virtual squadron looking to pick up a highly motivated A-10c flyer whose doing his best to become the best...send me a PM

Thank you so much!

Pantaros

PS..is it terrible that my x55 is only a few months old and I'm already got a greedy eye on the warthog hotas? Is it worth it?

Edited by pantaros

Hey pantaros!

As for your last question - TM Warthog is worth every penny you spend on it! I assume you have the TrackIR? As this is an absolute must. The only downside of Warthog is that you will also need to invest in rudder pedals, but well, that way it is more realistic, isn't it?

As for training, I would be happy to get up in the air with you if you like, I am usually free around 8-8:30 PM ZULU. Shoot me PM if you're interested or e-mail me at baltic_dragon@icloud.com.

Oh, and welcome to the family!

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

You are melodramatizing this a little bit.. No one from the big squadrons is supposed to criticize you. In fact they'll help you and accept you with all mistakes. Its not like being a seasoned warthog DCSer that makes the job. Alot of the community if not all are forgiving. Dont hinder yourself and jump straight into action.

Not only can you observe other mistakes, they observe your mistakes, and you share this with eachother.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I came to the 132nd as a complete noob. Before I joined, I flew all tutorials and Baltic's awesome campaign, so I knew how to more or less operate the aircraft and drop bombs, but I did not know anything about correct procedures.

I can only recommend you to join any virtual wing, chances are you will (like me) have an absolute blast learning from people who really know what they are talking about.

EDIT: get the warthog, really. get it. Also get track IR, you absolutely need it

Agreed. Joining a virtual Squadron at any stage of your learning will really help you improve, adopt the correct procedures, and give you a great environment in which to fly and fight. It is a myth that you need to have all the skills in place before you join.

Whether it be starting the aircraft, landing it, or how to phrase a radio call, all of it can, and would and could be taught. In my opinion, we'd much sooner welcome a total novice with plenty of motivation and enthusiasm than a guy who can do everything well, but only shows up when he feels like it. There are guys out there with all the knowledge, and who are delighted to pass it on, and give you all the help you may need.

The most important thing in selecting one is of course to find one that is local to you. It'll save you getting up at midnight or 4 AM to fly, and also improve network connections.

So, where in the world do you live?

Edited by NeilWillis

Welcome and I'm sure you will find a Virtual Squadron to fly with. SP is fun but multiplayer is the bomb!

Agree with the other posters to get the Warthog HOTAS and a TIR or similar device.

When you feel ready you can try our A-10 Qualification campaigns. Links are in my sig.

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

Thanks for all the replies!

That settles that I'm grabbing the Warthog, I liked my X55 for what it was, but it doesn't seem to be accurate enough around the center for what I want.

I do have trackir and a set of CH flight pedals as well so at least I only have to spend the 400 bucks on the warthog...only 400 heh.

I don't know why I was so nervous about posting for the first time here. When you play solo its hard to gauge where you should be and I didn't want to waste anyone's time with stuff that I could teach myself.

Have a great day everyone and thanks for the replies!

Agreed. Joining a virtual Squadron at any stage of your learning will really help you improve, adopt the correct procedures, and give you a great environment in which to fly and fight. It is a myth that you need to have all the skills in place before you join.

Whether it be starting the aircraft, landing it, or how to phrase a radio call, all of it can, and would and could be taught. In my opinion, we'd much sooner welcome a total novice with plenty of motivation and enthusiasm than a guy who can do everything well, but only shows up when he feels like it. There are guys out there with all the knowledge, and who are delighted to pass it on, and give you all the help you may need.

The most important thing in selecting one is of course to find one that is local to you. It'll save you getting up at midnight or 4 AM to fly, and also improve network connections.

So, where in the world do you live?

Hey sorry, I live in New Jersey US. Seems like a lot of the VFW's I was interested are home across the Atlantic heh. I have verizon fios which has served me well, but I'll probably have to check pings and latency.

Welcome, Pantaros!

I was in kind of the same boat in the A-10C.

I've found the members of the community to be extremely helpful and friendly. No one is expecting perfect performance the first time you're part of a flight.

Many of our community members, as you no doubt know, have real military and/or flight experience and are generally very patient and happy to teach new players how to do things properly. The sooner you get in there the sooner you'll be flying like a pro.

I'm still learning the A-10C myself, but I'll be happy to fly with you if you need a wingman, shoot me a PM.

+1 for get out there and find some folks to fly with!

Pantaros...I'm a New Jersey guy myself and would love to fly with you. I sent you an epic PM.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

I also have the warthog and CH pedals so if you have any questions on setup, let me know. I am a member of a U.S. Group that fly the hog. Let me know if you want to consider joining .our group. We are very gentle on newbie multiplayers.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

• 2 months later...

Pantaros has joined the 132nd and is well on his way to become mission qualified. He passed IQT with flying colours so it's only a matter of time now :).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo