CBU-97 skeet logic?

again, how does a CBU-97 in DCS (not in real life) target a concentration of vehicles closely packed together?

If you try dropping one dead center in "weapons training" waypoint 4 (IFV's), there is a good cluster of APC's in the middle of the 2 rows to test it.

Of course winds play but when half that cluster (of APC's) is toast with a center delivery, you begin to suspect the logic with which 97's prioritize targets, specially that it burst in the middle, on top.

What is wrong?

I think that 97's skeets kill less vehicles in its vicinity to improve the framerate issues with cluster munitions. I hope I'm wrong.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Been barking up that tree for a while bud...

The most logical answer (though not official) that I got on this subject is that two things are happening.

Several skeets would congregate on one armor like a whole battalion of deployed marines to a single stripper. This obviously causes a lot of skeets to go for an already dead tank that would otherwise be capable of taking out a potentially viable target in its view.

The second thing that is happening, is that a skeet (at least in the DCS World) is not guaranteed to kill an armor. Instead, they end up damaging some of them, but not completely killing them. And as we all know, in DCS a tank is either alive up to 0.01% of its armor or dead if lower. So there will be several tanks that will continue on while fully operational as if nothing ever happened even though they did get hit and are sitting at 30 or 20% health.

I have observed and reported that there are areas where the skeets hit under a tank, as if they go right through it in multiple areas but that was brushed off as either my track being broken, or point two (see above).

I gave up on this matter. There was a patch a long time ago when they worked brilliantly (low FPS aside) then one day something got changed and it just remained that way.

I haven't really used the 97's in well over a year since all that, but I know you can still get some decent hits if you have enough luck...

PS: Your elevation will bring different results as well. (HOF I mean, but you obviously know that)

Edited by ralfidude

That puts a whole new ball game into perspective. I really hope DCSW2.0 does not suffer the slideshow of DCSW1.0

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

So there will be several tanks that will continue on while fully operational as if nothing ever happened even though they did get hit and are sitting at 30 or 20% health.
Are you telling me that in DCS units have a simple health bar to determine dead or alive? No effects like disabling movement, disabling gun(s), disabling targetting, etc.?