F/A-18 Hornet panels

MudRat02

Zooming the Flight Manual will "NEVER" give you accurate dimensions.

Here's the pic you wanted. I'm not sure why its not showing in the post as it has the image tags???

Hope it help

Gv7QGMS.png

The other stuff is HERE

Stang out

Edited by Stang
  • Like 2

Thanks Stang, have sent you a PM.

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908

• 5 months later...
Zooming the Flight Manual will "NEVER" give you accurate dimensions.

Here's the pic you wanted. I'm not sure why its not showing in the post as it has the image tags???

Hope it help

(Image)

The other stuff is HERE

Stang out

@Stang, that "other stuff" link leads to an empty imgur profile...

Might be why they don't show up in the previous post?

Sorry Guys

I have explained this before. This method is NOT accurate. The pics in the NATOPS manuals have been shrunk and skewed to fit the pages. Using this method provides a very inaccurate diagram to go by.

What exact measurements are you looking for. Maybe I can help.

Stang

Get the legacy hornet NATOPS manual and blow up the foldout cockpit diagram to 400% -- will need to take it down to a print shop or kinko or something like that. That is your accurate life-size dimensions, per Pretzel.

Ripcord

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

I'm going to dig up this thread to attempt to fish for relevant measurements. There is very little available, and it's vague what does come up. Some inferences can be made, but cutting up an e pensive sheet of anything with unsure measurements really is troublesome. I've printed the NATOPS pages at 400%, and it looks close, but I can't be certain. The winwing panels don't spec like this, either. We really are in some uncharted territory.

Any news on some reliable info for this? I was watching this thread:

https://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3351156/1

But it is not for measurements. The hornetpits.org website has yet to respond to my requests to join their forums, also. There has to be a way to assure some of this before wasting material.

On 1/9/2024 at 5:38 AM, Harley said:

I'm going to dig up this thread to attempt to fish for relevant measurements. There is very little available, and it's vague what does come up. Some inferences can be made, but cutting up an e pensive sheet of anything with unsure measurements really is troublesome. I've printed the NATOPS pages at 400%, and it looks close, but I can't be certain. The winwing panels don't spec like this, either. We really are in some uncharted territory.

Any news on some reliable info for this? I was watching this thread:

https://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3351156/1

But it is not for measurements. The hornetpits.org website has yet to respond to my requests to join their forums, also. There has to be a way to assure some of this before wasting material.

Have you taken a look at http://openhornet.com ?

• Thanks 2

On 1/11/2024 at 9:13 AM, RightStuff said:

Have you taken a look at http://openhornet.com ?

I did. If there's something else you all see that I don't, let me know. I saw a few pages of their very large accumulation of data, and I must say, either I am really behind the times, or it's in a whole other language that I am perhaps too impatient to learn. Their whole website is kind of a mess to sort out, but their plans look amazing. Textbook conditions, and it's amazing that it's all free to look at.

I spent a lot of years as a carpenter, and I've already started constructing a sim pit out of the standard 3/4" MDF. I'll likely just make that work. It is coming together nicely, but there is still no real standard template for much of this, perhaps for all the right reasons. If we could just scale, cut, and assemble a sim pit from a neat template, it would take some of the element of surprise from it. I'm committed now. As of this time, I have a seat platform and the side consoles built. I may just build a seat from similar materials since the real thing is made of materials that are just as comfortable to your backside, with a layer of foam on it.

Hoping to be finished with the raw structure in a couple more weeks. Then the difficult part begins with the assembly of all the panels, programming, more measuring and fitting, and before you know it, I'll be broke!

So much fun, though. I can't wait to fire up DCS for the first time from this cockpit.

Edited by Harley
  • Like 1

Also, for what it matters, there are perhaps 2 right angles in this build. Everything else is some kind of ergonomics nightmare, and the people that prototyped this thing, as well as many other structures for aircraft, must have been pointing and laughing at people like us. Simply, wow. Everything has some angular challenge to it. The side consoles aren't square in any dimension, and from one of the drawings I am using for reference, they even have a slope front to back, best I can measure is about 1 1/4" from front to back, let alone the 10° of inward angle. Every angle is a compound angle, and what a challenge. It has been fun so far.

Indeed, many angles to master. lol…

It absolutely depends on which level you want to build your pit. Sure, OpenHornet is ‚HiFi‘ , but generally it gives you a good idea of parts and relations. The instrument panels are great templates! Just print them 3D and put them on a board. Easy way.

The Electronics are hard to master and - to be honest - I have some headache with their solution. So I‘m going not this way and will chose either FreeJoy or LeoBodnar for buttons and switches. Because of VR, Output (LED, Screens) is currently not of  interest for me. That might change in the future. At least just for eyecandiness and though I focus first on structure and inputs.

Good luck, buddy!