Warthog hotas

Holmer

Hey everyone.

i was wondering on the Warthog hotas set from TM theres a mic swich.

Is it only suppose to be able to selekt FM/AM/UHF and nothing else ? seems anoying that i have to reach forward to my keyboad everytime... why even bother making it a pressable one then ?... okay i can see that it might be good fro playing with frinds and TS and so on...

All i wandt is to be able to controll radio on the hotas :( without having to break immesion by going to keyboard

- Holmer

• Like 1

There is a mic switch that can be activated in 5 directions... the configuration for forward, down and back is accurately modelled while it also has a depressable (z axis I think they call it) action as well as an upward that many use for their TS3 activation.

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

As Eno said, it acts as five buttons. It is the black hat switch located on the topmost part of the right side of the throttle.

I use TARS with my friends, and have it set up for Teamspeak on up, radios to speak on TARS mapped to the appropriate radios, then using my paddle switch as a shifter, the same three radio switches to bring up the in-game communication menus. This works great for my situation, as I communicate with my friends much more often than I use the game menus. I use the press function as a pause switch for TrackIR.

IIRC, it should already be mapped to the in-game menus by default, AM forward, UHF down, FM back. The up and press functions are unmapped, as to my knowledge, in the A10C (of this suite at least) up has no function in R/L, and there is no press function in the actual aircraft. (If I am wrong on that, I would love to get the skinny on it.)

Edit to add: Yes for the in-game communication menu once you've selected a radio with the hat switch, you will have to go to the keyboard to select items from the sub menus. There is a voice command program available that some use to no longer have to do that, which can greatly help with immersion. I'm looking into it myself, as having to reach for the keyboard while keeping position for AAR is a real pain for me :P

Edited by Faelwolf

I think he's complaining that he then has to press the F keys to select the actuall message to be transmited. But there's no real way around that that would be a realistic one. The pilot in the real AC presses the currecpondent mic switch of the radio he wishes to use, then he talks. You can't really talk with your Hotas, having a scrollabe menu (actually there is a mouse usable mod from PeterP for radios) from your HOTAS would not be realistic eighter and it would be a lot slower than going to your keyboard to press an F key.

But if you are willing to go with another bit of software and configure it, you can actually use VAC to talk your into your mic and have that translated into the sim as keypresses. What could be more imersive than to press the right mic switch and then talk the radio instruction as intended? I'm more lazy than that and just say F1 to F12 into VAC and have VAC send that KEY press, plus it's much easier for the software not to recognize wrong commands when used like that.

I use VAC and Fish's profile, it's amazingly immersive! I highly recommend it.

I looked into VAC a year ago and thought it looked great, It just cycles through the menus via voice activation does it not?

Is it reliable?

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I have used VAC for a number of years mainly in DCS.

It is reliable if you have a headset mic.

The only problem with using VAC in DCS is the menus are sort of context sensitive (like the Airfields always show the closest one on F1 then descend in distance)

This means you can either have every airport name mapped to F1 (because you usually want to speak to the closest ATC) or you will have to say F1,F2 etc instead of the airport name.

Also a real pain in the ass is that different planes have slightly different radio menus.

It can be really good for commands you don't use very often and don't what to map to your HOTAS but need to use quickly like jettison weapons.

I have been thinking about writing some software that looks at the current DCS radio structure and builds a VAC profile on the fly, this would be the ultimate solution but I don't know if it is feasible or not.

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

I looked into VAC a year ago and thought it looked great, It just cycles through the menus via voice activation does it not?

Is it reliable?

Jib summed up some of the negatives. I use VAC with the A-10C most of the time, so I'm used to the phrases that work and can say them without the computer getting it wrong. If I have an issue, I just say "Opt#" where the # is the F key that the menu shows in the upper right corner. I wouldn't be confident enough to shut off the captioning for the radio, though. It tends to mistake JTAC ("jay-tack") with AWACS ("eh-wacks") but it could be my enunciation. Whenever I fly the other aircraft, I use "Opt#" for nearly every radio command. Sure, I lose some immersion but I'm still not reaching for the keyboard.

I also made "Goggles On" and "Goggles Off" commands to put my NVGs on and off so I didn't have to reach for those, either.

IIRC VAC has a trial offer for 14 days, give it a shot along with Fish's profile. Take a look at his VAC Video thread for more insight.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPU - Intel 8088 @ 4.77 MHz; Memory - 128KB; 360KB double-sided

5 1/4" full-height floppy disk drive; 10MB Seagate ST-412 hard drive

JG-1 MiG-21bis Checklist

What is VAC ? ?

http://www.dwvac.com/

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Try this thread, you can find a link for the profile, and some good info on VAC in general: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=79868

Thank you all,

Currently just setting this up.

On the link above, I find that the

DCS A-10 fish profiles 20111002, Profiles for VAC, TM Cougar, TIR5 with clip pro. Link appear to be either unavailable or faulty or I've had too much beer...

Perhaps there is another location for profile which one could use to aid in setting up? *As noted in Gerry's "settin up VAC" video @2:45

I have no profile to choose from :(

Oh wait, creating a new on anyways...

Edited by Poutine
D'oh didn't watch the whole video

Jane's ATF Gold (1997), DCS World A-10C

M5A99Xevo, SAPPHIRE HD-7770-OC, AMD FX-6100, 8GB RAM, WIN7-64

TM HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR5, Sennheiser PC363D, MFD Cougar Pack, Samsung UHD U28D590D and Local Craft Beer

I had linked it in post #9 but I guess it's no longer there... :doh:

Ya I saw that and that's the one I followed.

Perhaps someone could post a barebones link or text doc for import. I'm simply trying to just get the radio commands working

TM HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR5, Sennheiser PC363D, MFD Cougar Pack, Samsung UHD U28D590D and Local Craft Beer

The more you train your PC with voice commands the more it will become responsive. MCE for Airbus X Extended

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Also, check out AJ.eightFive's VAC Friendly Radio Mod:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=82529

It includes a profile that you can use as-is or as a template to build your own.

The link to Fish's profile works fine:

You're correct sir, something funny with my Firefox setup. The link appears fine in Chrome. Thanks for verifying