Missing with GBU-38s

SharpeXB

so far I've missed 4 targets in a row with these. afaik I'm doing everything right, there's not much to go wrong with a JDAM. set the target as your SPI and hold the weapon release in the cue. but it's missing every time

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Track would help as Flagrum pointed out.

Helps to laze the target when you create the SPI. If not the TGP is looking through the target at the ground behind it, depending on slant angle to target, the error can be quite a bit.

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip

Here is a step by step guide.

Make sure you have full EGI alignment, that your TGP is set as SPI and that you hold the release button for at least 2 seconds (IRL that sends the GPS coordinates to the bomb before release).

yep, got that... puzzling :confused:

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Helps to laze the target when you create the SPI. If not the TGP is looking through the target at the ground behind it, depending on slant angle to target, the error can be quite a bit.

I tried to make a track and of course now it works fine. It's strange it was 4 in a row

Does the CDU wind correction affect anything with LGBs or IAMs?

Here is a step by step guide.

Make sure you have full EGI alignment, that your TGP is set as SPI and that you hold the release button for at least 2 seconds (IRL that sends the GPS coordinates to the bomb before release).

aha. I'm not switching on the laser when making a SPI. maybe that's it.

This is true. The only thing is that the laser has to be on at the point of release because once you turn off the laser, the SPI reverts to being behind the target. Once the JDAM has dropped, you can turn off the laser. Of course some people don't like to lase at all because it can alert ground units of an impending strike. I think this is more the case in Combined Arms and not so much with AI units.

I don't think there is an effect with the GPS guided munitions, however there are Wind Corrected Munitions like the CBU-103 which don't use GPS but uses INS and steers itself to the target.

LGBs can be effected by wind.

Even with the laser aimpoint it must be corrected for winds.

Adjust the laser aimpoint one foot upwind per knot of wind determined.

For strong surface winds you may even have to aim off the target to record a hit.

LGBs require a minimum of 8 seconds of guide time or the bomb won't guide to the target.

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

The laser must be it. I'll try that.

I am designating these SPIs at a higher slant angle. I try aiming for the wheels.

I don't think there is an effect with the GPS guided munitions, however there are Wind Corrected Munitions like the CBU-103 which don't use GPS but uses INS and steers itself to the target.

LGBs can be effected by wind.

Even with the laser aimpoint it must be corrected for winds.

Adjust the laser aimpoint one foot upwind per knot of wind determined.

For strong surface winds you may even have to aim off the target to record a hit.

LGBs require a minimum of 8 seconds of guide time or the bomb won't guide to the target.

I think, GPS or INS guided weapons might be affected as well as the flight envelope in which the weapon can reach the target would change if wind is present. Probably onle relevant at the margins of the envelope (min or max range).

Would be interesting to test this ... hrm...

This is true. The only thing is that the laser has to be on at the point of release because once you turn off the laser, the SPI reverts to being behind the target. Once the JDAM has dropped, you can turn off the laser. Of course some people don't like to lase at all because it can alert ground units of an impending strike. I think this is more the case in Combined Arms and not so much with AI units.

Really? I was under the impression that if I lase, set a SPI, and then turn off the laser that the SPI stays put. I guess I'll have to leave the laser on a little longer

Really? I was under the impression that if I lase, set a SPI, and then turn off the laser that the SPI stays put. I guess I'll have to leave the laser on a little longer

Or set to "Auto" in the weapons configuration page.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

No, the SPI reverts back to its pre-lased position. You need to have the laser on at time of release for the JDAM to have the lased coordinates. Once the bomb falls off the rack, you can turn off the laser and forget about the bomb.

Or set to "Auto" in the weapons configuration page.
Mmmm, not really applicable for JDAMs. That's more for guiding LGBs right to the target. I think of it as ... JDAMs, lase before release. LGBs, lase after release. Of course, a lot of people say you don't have to lase at all with JDAMs and there's some truth to that. I just do it cause I like to push lots of buttons.;)

Turning on the laser did the trick. Right in the pickle barrel. :thumbup:

No, the SPI reverts back to its pre-lased position. You need to have the laser on at time of release for the JDAM to have the lased coordinates. Once the bomb falls off the rack, you can turn off the laser and forget about the bomb.

You can get the same effect by creating 2 mark points... one from just area Mark point A. Now lase then create Mark point B. You will have a more precise shot w/ the latter.

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.

Mmmm, not really applicable for JDAMs. That's more for guiding LGBs right to the target. I think of it as ... JDAMs, lase before release. LGBs, lase after release. Of course, a lot of people say you don't have to lase at all with JDAMs and there's some truth to that. I just do it cause I like to push lots of buttons.;)

For sure. It adds to the realism of the Sim.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.