Complete guide on how to land the Mirage

slundal

I know there are some other good video tutorials out there but I couldn't find any good "complete" guides to landing the Mirage when I was first learning to fly it. So I made these in the hope that some of you finds it useful. :pilotfly:

Basic landing procedures:

XJq4eNgZ-vU

Landing on a cloudy day using ILS and TACAN to find airbase and align up with runway:

P0VCssCQ0S4

Bad weather and fog equals zero visibility landing:

a_ixQHO-vpw

I know there are some other good video tutorials out there but I couldn't find any good "complete" guides to landing the Mirage when I was first learning to fly it. So I made these in the hope that some of you finds it useful. :pilotfly:

Basic landing procedures:

XJq4eNgZ-vU

Landing on a cloudy day using ILS and TACAN to find airbase and align up with runway:

P0VCssCQ0S4

Bad weather and fog equals zero visibility landing:

a_ixQHO-vpw

I have watched through them and they are great! Very informative! One question i have though is how do you compensate for crosswinds in a low/no visibility environment? I saw that you didn't haved a large amount of crosswinds on the last video so I was wondering.

Apart from that, well done! :thumbup:

War is easy and is just like riding a bike. Except the bike is on fire and the ground is on fire and you are on fire and you realise you are in hell :joystick:

Nice Vid

Quick tip you can open the F10 map and click on the airfield you're landing you can see TACAN and ILS frequencies

Shame you didn't show Approach Autopilot ... it basically lands the plane for you don't have to do anything beside flair at the end

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Youtube

Reddit

Nice Vid

Quick tip you can open the F10 map and click on the airfield you're landing you can see TACAN and ILS frequencies

Shame you didn't show Approach Autopilot ... it basically lands the plane for you don't have to do anything beside flair at the end

Great tip! Didn't think about that. Where is the fun in using autopilot? :P Haha I might do a video on that later though. :)

Nice Vid

Is it functional yet? I wasn't aware of this... a demo about this one would be pretty useful too.

I have watched through them and they are great! Very informative! One question i have though is how do you compensate for crosswinds in a low/no visibility environment? I saw that you didn't haved a large amount of crosswinds on the last video so I was wondering.

Apart from that, well done! :thumbup:

Thank you! I don't think any pilot would be crazy enough to try a zero visibility high cross wind landing in real life though. But honestly crosswind landings is just a matter of practicing. Since you can see the runway in the HUD you will get a sense of drifting if the winds are too strong. Then it is just a matter of using rudder to compensate the best you can and keeping an eye on the ILS making sure you don't drift away from your course. Would be super difficult though. :joystick:

Is it functional yet? I wasn't aware of this... a demo about this one would be pretty useful too.

Just do a normal ILS landing and at around 10 nm before the airfield engage Autopilot + Approach Hold

And all you need to do is control the throttle and flair at the end

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Youtube

Reddit

Hi slundal,

Thanks for the tuts :thumbup:

Just a small precision here, Mirage 2000c uses AoA approch and not Speed approach. You should not give any information about the aircraft speed during landing.

Landing speed will drastically change with the aircraft weight.

All you have to do is keeping the chevrons between the brackets (14° AoA) and flare/speed up at the end.

At 14° AoA, you are at the correct speed regarding your current weight.

Cheers

Edited by 3rd Wing - Raiden

One more thing,

Don't know if it's already implemented but the braking is suppose to be automatically handled by the aircraft. You just have to squeeze the pedals and the SPAD (AntiSKID system) should manage braking to avoid drifting while keeping automatically the aircraft on the centerline.

Braking is supposed to work only if the two main gears and the nose wheel have weight on them.

So first Airbraking using airbrakes and by keeping the nose up when you touch the ground until you reach 110 kts. Then softly push the nose down, then use the brakes.

In fact with SPAD you could squeeze the brake pedals while in final approach, the aircraft will not brakes until the three points touch the ground.

Cheers

Thank you! I don't think any pilot would be crazy enough to try a zero visibility high cross wind landing in real life though. But honestly crosswind landings is just a matter of practicing. Since you can see the runway in the HUD you will get a sense of drifting if the winds are too strong. Then it is just a matter of using rudder to compensate the best you can and keeping an eye on the ILS making sure you don't drift away from your course. Would be super difficult though. :joystick:

True yes. In fact at around 15 m/s crosswinds all the hud symbology literally gets blown away by the wind so you can no longer see them!

War is easy and is just like riding a bike. Except the bike is on fire and the ground is on fire and you are on fire and you realise you are in hell :joystick:

One more thing,

Don't know if it's already implemented but the braking is suppose to be automatically handled by the aircraft. You just have to squeeze the pedals and the SPAD (AntiSKID system) should manage braking to avoid drifting while keeping automatically the aircraft on the centerline.

Braking is supposed to work only if the two main gears and the nose wheel have weight on them.

So first Airbraking using airbrakes and by keeping the nose up when you touch the ground until you reach 110 kts. Then softly push the nose down, then use the brakes.

In fact with SPAD you could squeeze the brake pedals while in final approach, the aircraft will not brakes until the three points touch the ground.

Cheers

If that is true I've must have missed that in an update. I was definitely not the case when I started flying with the Mirage. :)

So has anyone explained how to avoid striking the engine after landing. I can almost always grease the actual flare and touchdown but if I try to aerobrake the aircraft seems to be pulled backwards so I am forced to slam my nose wheel into the ground or risk burning my engine off.

When landing you should aerobrake until 110 kts. At this speed you want to push gentilly the nose down to avoid striking your engine. If you do it right, you won't touch the runway with the engine and you won't smash the nose wheel.

The aircraft gravity center is located around the main gear and the engine is heavy causing scratches on the rear fuselage. :smilewink:

Then with the three points on the ground, use the wheel brakes or the parachute.

Just thought that I would echo the problem The Jay15 is experiencing. While trying to aero brake it is very difficult to not get a tail strike. Maybe that is because I can't find (yet) the "air ground maneuvering switch" referred to in the posted videos.

By the way, I did enjoy the videos. I have been flying low viz ILS approaches in the F-15 successfully for awhile now. Looking forward to trying in the Mirage.

It is always best to not fly too fast or fly too slow. So I fly half fast. :D

Just thought that I would echo the problem The Jay15 is experiencing. While trying to aero brake it is very difficult to not get a tail strike. Maybe that is because I can't find (yet) the "air ground maneuvering switch" referred to in the posted videos.

By the way, I did enjoy the videos. I have been flying low viz ILS approaches in the F-15 successfully for awhile now. Looking forward to trying in the Mirage.

A good trick I can give is to immediately cut throttle the moment you reach the runway and to fight this reflex we all have to flare the plane. I consciously have to force myself to maintain my nose in its current attitude when landing in order not to smack my tail on the ground. The exercise is even more difficult with fuel tanks equipped; try it!

How to avoid hitting the tail when landing.

This happened to me many times in the beginning. Actually in the first video I almost hit the tail on the runway as I was deploying the airbreaks. If you look closely you can see the aircraft tilting back. Good thing I caught it in time.

My strategy for for dealing with this is the following:

1. Always use the APP button and align the speed chevrons with the brackets.

2. It is very easy to want to flare too much just as you are about to hit the runway. Never flare above an AOA of 14. It is okay to hit the ground a little hard.

3. As the wheels hit the ground push you stick just a little bit forward. Not enough to force the nose wheel down but enough to stop the tail to strike the ground. I know this is easier said than done. :thumbup:

For the air to ground maneuvering mode. If you look at the first video from 4:31 I activate the mode and hover my mouse over the switch for a full second, should be easy to spot. :pilotfly:

Edited by slundal

So has anyone explained how to avoid striking the engine after landing. I can almost always grease the actual flare and touchdown but if I try to aerobrake the aircraft seems to be pulled backwards so I am forced to slam my nose wheel into the ground or risk burning my engine off.

Certainly, the correct procedure is to approach at exactly 156.7 knots and apply the left brake 10% and then wait for the patch which will fix the FCS. Seriously, it's not right. Don't beat your head against a wall trying to aerobrake an airplane that isn't ready for it.