Cougar MFD's and Windows 8.1

Oops, I was tempted to press the Update button a minute ago. I think I´ll wait a little bit. Searching for Cougar MFDs and Windows 8.1 this really seems to be a problem. I hope Thrustmaster comes up with new drivers quickly.

Do you also have the TM Warthog or Saitek Pedals? I wonder if these are working on 8.1.

I doubt you've done any damage. Win 8.1 did the same to mine. And TrackIR and my 2nd monitor went on the blink

Removing and uninstalling the MFD's and reinstalling trackIR sorted out that and the monitor issue. My MFD's are unplugged until TM get off their arses and update the driver or there's an MS patch.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1_pr-hardware/thrustmaster-mfd-cougar-problem-in-windows-81/ff1dd578-b265-4b1c-9ac1-7914c61f16ae

I had just got back into BS and was using the MFD's all the time as well! Doh.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

Simple solution is to get rid of that garbage win 8 and go back to win 7, win 8 causes so many problems its just not worth the hassle.

Eagles may soar high but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines.

System Spec.

Monitors: Samsung 570DX & Rift CV1

Mobo: MSI Godlike gaming X-99A

CPU: Intel i7 5930K @ 3.50Ghz

RAM: 32gb

GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti VR Ready

Cooling: Predator 360

Power Supply: OCZ ZX Series 80 Plus Gold

Drives: Samsung SSD's 1tb, 500g plus others with OS Win10 64 bit

The problem is with MS, because the mfds dont send any signal to the comp until u press a button win 8 thinks they are idle and shuts down the usb port.

also MS has removed the update from the store for the time being so it looks like they are sorting a fix, maybe an option to turn off the offending app.

Edited by G00dnight

AMD A8-5600K @ 4GHz, Radeon 7970 6Gig, 16 Gig Ram, Win 10 , 250 gig SSD, 40" Screen + 22 inch below, Track Ir, TMWH, Saitek combat pedals & a loose nut behind the stick :thumbup:

Weirdly, every 2 seconds or so the lights come back on along with the "bingbong" USB device noise from Windows, so the port is switching on and off constantly. Not good for the MFD's I would imagine. Mine are unplugged until there's a patch. This must be affecting a lot of passive USB devices though, (hopefully). The more, the faster the patch will appear,

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

The problem is with MS, because the mfds dont send any signal to the comp until u press a button win 8 thinks they are idle and shuts down the usb port.

If they're plugged into a USB hub would that still be the case? It couldn't close the usb port if there was other traffic coming from other devices on the hub I'd assume.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Soul's pit thread

I was just relaying what was said on the MS website, to me what your saying makes sense if they are plugged into a hub that is in use then if win shuts the port it would cut all off but this is MicroSoft we are talking about so SNAFU.

To me it seems more likely that Win cant install drivers unless it sees some sort of feedback after they are initially plugged in as Coolts says his is trying to connect all the time.

Edited by G00dnight

AMD A8-5600K @ 4GHz, Radeon 7970 6Gig, 16 Gig Ram, Win 10 , 250 gig SSD, 40" Screen + 22 inch below, Track Ir, TMWH, Saitek combat pedals & a loose nut behind the stick :thumbup:

My MFCDs are doing the same thing - flashing and resetting.

To stop this I simply start Track IR, Center and Pause it, and the MFCDs stop misbehaving. But this happens every time I login to the computer.

^^^ Good to see the post above that the Win8.1 upgrade was pulled. I have two more puters to upgrade but will wait to hear that MFCD thing is fixed.

WC

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

Tell Windows not to turn off USB Ports in the Power options.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Tell Windows not to turn off USB Ports in the Power options.

I believe someone posted, somewhere, that did not work.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

there's advanced options that are hidden, I'll have to look up, I know USB suspending is tweaked by default to turn off ports unless it receives input data.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Did anyone try turning off the Power Management in Device Manager?

Go into Device Manager, expand Universal Serial Bus controllers, right click on everything that has Hub in the name and select properties.

The last tab of the properties window should be Power Management, and uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip

I tried this. It appeared to work but then upon reboot the flashing commences again. I have turned off selective suspend and then in device manager turned off the power management functions for the USB ports/root hubs.

TM did email back. They said for now the workaround is to open the Gamecontroller applet and access the Properties tab and leave it open in the task bar. I noticed that this works earlier but it is kind of a sucky solution. Hopefully there will be an updated driver soon.

Out

Edited by PoleCat

The problem is with Microsoft's new "selective suspend" feature. Below is the response I received from TM support.

"Regarding your MFD COUGAR Pack.

Thank you for your reply.

The 8.1 update of Windows 8 brought a change to how the USB ports are managed by the operating system.

In order to save energy, the USB ports will be automatically disabled when there is no device connected or the connected device is on standby.

Your MFD panels do not send any signals to the PC when not being used, causing Windows to think the device is on standby and thus shutting the USB port down.

Since this change will impact a vast number of USB devices, we are currently waiting for Microsoft's official position on this update.

In the meantime, we are recommending you to open the Gamecontroller and access the Properties tab and leave it open in the task bar; this might prevent Windows from seeing the device as on standby.

We rest at your disposal for any further inquiries."

Out

Edited by PoleCat

@PoleCat:

True, this can only be a workaround but not the final solution. But does it work for you everytime or is it more a hit & miss workaround?

I don´t want to kill my MFDs by turning them off / on constantly by the OS. The last set of MFDs I had lasted only 2 hours and then I had to wait for 2 months to get new ones. So I´m a bit cautious here.

@WreckingCrew:

The 8.1 Update has not been pulled completely. It´s only the RT version which they pulled back.

This is so far the only device I am having an issue with under Windows 8.1.

On another note...When running windows 8/8.1 if you prefer to have the old F8 boot menu see this link. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/enable-the-f8-key-in-windows-8/

Without enabling this legacy boot menu there are instances in Win 8 when experiencing boot issues where you simply cannot access some of these modes at all.

I highly recommend running the command in either Windows 8 or 8.1

Out

Edited by PoleCat
  • Like 1

On another note...When running windows 8/8.1 if you prefer to have the old F8 boot menu see this link. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/enable-the-f8-key-in-windows-8/

Without enabling this legacy boot menu there are instances in Win 8 when experiencing boot issues where you simply cannot access some of these modes at all.

I highly recommend running the command in either Windows 8 or 8.1

Out

Thanks for the tip. :thumbup:

Haven't needed it yet but...

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

TM said they are "waiting" for a response from MS over a week ago. Did they write them a letter and post it by hand?

I will try the task-bar hack, (but I dont want to brick my MFD's), as playing BS2 & A-10c and BMS for that matter without the MFD's is a massive backwards step for me.

Apart from that, 8.1 hasn't put a foot wrong for me.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I too asked Thrustmaster to see if there were any news about the issue. I got the same response as everyone else. I too wonder if they are communicating with Microsoft via smoke signals. On the other hand, if you read the reply from TM close it sounds a bit like they do not even talked to MS, but that they are waiting for MS to respond with what they "did" with the 8.1 update. Since I never read somewhere with problems with other USB devices, it looks tome like TM is a bit alone with their Cougar MFDs here. I really hope this can get fixed finally.

Respectfully, your expectations may be too high. Windows 8.1 was not released till very recently. TM would not even acknowledge the problem until they had the official release version. They are working on it now.

We will likely have to wait a bit for TM to produce a new Win 8.1 driver for the MFD's.

In my dealings with them through tech support their email responses have been quick and courteous. I know it is not ideal but at least we have a work around until the new driver (clunky as it may be).

Out

Edited by PoleCat

My concern is more that there´s a slight possibility that they cannot do anything with a driver. I hope I´m wrong. But if the OS decides that a Port is shutdown, I assume a driver is the last one who can make another decision. But I´m not sure how it really works. I assumed that the OS turns on the Port and then the driver kicks in. But it´s all speculation. I´m happy that there´s at least a workaround for now. Maybe I´ll do the upgrade next weekend.