AI not following user

Raptor9

• ED Team

If a user-controlled tank or other vehicle is moving around, the AI units will rarely follow in the designated formation, even when given the order to via the radio menu. The only way to get them to move along with you is to give them group move commands in first person mode or constantly switch to F10 map to command them that way.

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

• 2 years later...

2 1/2 years later :bored:

I think they only follow you, if you're controlling the leading unit.

Also the orders via radio only seem to have an effect when controlling the first unit of the group IIRC

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] Waiting to build a F/A-18C home-pit...

ex - Swiss Air Force Pilatus PC-21 Ground Crew

SFM? AFM? EFM?? What's this?

i7-5960X (8 core @3.00GHz)¦32GB DDR4 RAM¦Asus X99-WS/IPMI¦2x GTX970 4GB SLI¦Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSD¦TrackIR 5 Pro¦TM Warthog¦MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

• ED Team
I think they only follow you, if you're controlling the leading unit. Also the orders via radio only seem to have an effect when controlling the first unit of the group IIRC

They do not (when controlling any unit in the group, leader or otherwise), nor do they respond to ROE, Formation, or Follow radio commands, so the same problem is still persisting. At least the throttle works properly again. Maybe it was the unit combination I was in. Maybe they all have to be the same unit type? I was controlling a mix of Abrams and Bradleys.

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

• 2 months later...
They do not (when controlling any unit in the group, leader or otherwise), nor do they respond to ROE, Formation, or Follow radio commands, so the same problem is still persisting. At least the throttle works properly again. Maybe it was the unit combination I was in. Maybe they all have to be the same unit type? I was controlling a mix of Abrams and Bradleys.

The CA manual states that if you want AI to follow you should set the formation prior to movement.

This seems to be hit or miss; sometimes if I change the formation they will fall in on my vehicle, but sometimes they do nothing. IF they do fall in on me, normally they don't match my speed. If I move to quickly then the AI vehicles fall behind and/or become separated.

I have no idea what the F3 'Following Leader' command does from the radio. It doesn't seem to be functioning; vehicles don't follow me.

This is probably something that should be changed to 'Follow Me' and the platoon follows.

My current workarounds:

First

-F10 Map

-Set Waypoint

-Autopilot

-If I make contact I stop autopilot and engage

Second

-Manually move my vehicle

-Move the AI forward to my position by pressing 'G' + Left Mouse Click'

Edited by Apocalypse31