Flight Qualifications Campaign

Have the following problem with BFT07:

1. After takeoff I'm told to "Fly heading 300, angels 6 at 200 knots"

-> "Hard deck limit is in effect"

-> "Approaching angels 6. Level out and maintain 200 knots"

2. I'm told to "Turn right to 040 maintain angels 6 at 200 knots"

-> When I turn right, it says "Fly heading 300, angels 6 at 200 knots"

-> When I do, it says "You're heading off-course. Turn to 040."

-> Terminate, Terminate, Terminate! Exceeded Q- limits for course...

Why does this happen?

1338 - beyond leet

ED Forum rules EN|DE|RU

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be a bug. I'll check. If you don't make angels 6 at 200 knots on heading 300 before the turn to 040 that could be the problem.

Looks like the 300 heading check came in after the turn to 040. Try staying on 040 and ignore the 300 heading instructions after the turn for now.

Once you complete the turn to 040 angels 6 at 200 knots the mission should play out properly.

• Like 1

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

Got my first "Q" today! Mission one based off memory. Studying hard and retaining more and more. Thank you for the great missions.

" I'm gonna have to be taking your car today. See I have some top secret clown business that supersedes any plans that you might have for this here vehicle."

I'm having some trouble with BTF-06. After a successful stall and spin recovery I go up to angels 15 and I start the defensive spiral. There's where I get in trouble, because I always get the "terminate" message because of exiting the MOA. I'm pretty sure that my heading and speed are correct and of course I don't break the hard deck limit. Any clue of what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you Sabre for this great job you're doing.:thumbup:

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

MSI GT72 6QD Core i7 6700HQ 2.6GHz-3.5GHz - 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVidia GTX970M 3GB DDR5 - 256 GB M.2. SATA SSD + 1TB HDD 7200 RPM - 17.3" 1920 x 1080 Full-HD IPS Screen - Trackir 5 - HOTAS Warthog

Thanks for the feedback.

You might be too close to the edge of the MOA and exiting without authorization.

Check your map references. I didn't encounter it in testing but it could be possible if you have a slow climb to angels 15 or if your other maneuvers take up too much room. How wide a turn is your defensive spiral?

I tried to match the MOA on the diagram with the actual MOA trigger zone in the mission but I could be off by some amount.

It is part of the mission to know where you are relative to the MOA boundaries. If it looks like a serious problem for many folks I can increase the size of the MOA to give everyone more room.

Please let me know how it goes and thanks for playing.

• Like 1

Hi Sabre,

I also went out of the MOA zone as soon as I dropped the nose during BFT-06.

To bad as everything else went fine.

Greetz

Rick

-------------------------

Windows 7 64bit

Intel Core i7 860 @ 4.0GHz

Corsair Vengeance LP 16Gb DDR3 1600MHz

MSI GeForce GTX 970 4Gb

1*24"

--------------------------

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've posted version 1.1 of BFT06 to Ed's User Files section (pending moderator approval).

I increased the MOA by 4000 meters so now if you go past the big river in the North then you will likely be outside the MOA. I also made it visible so you can see it in the mission briefing but unfortunately it won't show up on the in flight map.

Please give it a try and let me know if you still have a problem with it.

Thanks.

• Like 2

I've posted version 1.1 of BFT06 to Ed's User Files section (pending moderator approval).

I increased the MOA by 4000 meters so now if you go past the big river in the North then you will likely be outside the MOA. I also made it visible so you can see it in the mission briefing but unfortunately it won't show up on the in flight map.

Please give it a try and let me know if you still have a problem with it.

Thanks.

Mmm, It's strange. I think I've done what I've been told to do with no delay, (and I've climbed to angels 15 as fast as I can) and I find myself over that big river you mention, so I'm at the same point as I was before. I'm out of the MOA again and the mission is terminated!.

Maybe there's something else I'm not doing the way I should.

Should I turn 180 degrees to 220 just after recovering from the defensive spin?

Thanks in advance.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

MSI GT72 6QD Core i7 6700HQ 2.6GHz-3.5GHz - 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVidia GTX970M 3GB DDR5 - 256 GB M.2. SATA SSD + 1TB HDD 7200 RPM - 17.3" 1920 x 1080 Full-HD IPS Screen - Trackir 5 - HOTAS Warthog

Just got the sim. Love the realism. Found this thread and must say great idea. Can't wait to get started on this campaign. Thank you.

MB ASUS RAMPAGE III FORMULA R :: CPU i7 950 QUADCORE 3.06G :: CPU COOL CORSAIR| CWCH50-1 RT :: VGA XFX HD-587X-ZNFC HD5870 1GB :: PSU CORSAIR|850W CMPSU-850TXV2 R :: MEM 2Gx3|CORS TR3X6G1600C8D R :: HD 1T|WD 7K 64M SATAIII WD1002FAEX :: MNTR ASUS|LED 23" 2MS VH238H R :: TM Cougar HOTAS Uber I :: TrackIR5 :: CH Rudder Pedals :: SENNHEISER PC 350

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mmm, It's strange. I think I've done what I've been told to do with no delay, (and I've climbed to angels 15 as fast as I can) and I find myself over that big river you mention, so I'm at the same point as I was before. I'm out of the MOA again and the mission is terminated!.

Maybe there's something else I'm not doing the way I should.

Should I turn 180 degrees to 220 just after recovering from the defensive spin?

Thanks in advance.

Would you please check my last track? (Please don't say anything about quick startup etc... :cry:)

BTF06.rar

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Sabre,

I keep on failing for my landings which is driving me crazy after a succesfull flight.:doh:

Every time I touch down I'm being told that I missed the touchdown zone and I failed for the Q- requirements.

Can you explain what the correct touchdown zone is or show it on a screenshot?:helpsmilie:

I'm normally aiming for the big fat lines touching down just behind them but it seems to be no good.

I've attached a screen with my touchdown marks.

Greetings

Rick

Screen_110713_121507.thumb.jpg.25b0fccfb45ab298e6628410ba8cc894.jpg

-------------------------

Windows 7 64bit

Intel Core i7 860 @ 4.0GHz

Corsair Vengeance LP 16Gb DDR3 1600MHz

MSI GeForce GTX 970 4Gb

1*24"

--------------------------

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Would you please check my last track? (Please don't say anything about quick startup etc... :cry:)

Sorry for the delay in responding (work has been hectic and has taken me away from my beloved hobby) :cry:

I checked the track but I'm not sure the one you uploaded is correct. The start is ok but you don't get airborne, the plane veers off the runway and crashes into some equipment. Sorry.

Hi Sabre,

I keep on failing for my landings which is driving me crazy after a succesfull flight.:doh:

Every time I touch down I'm being told that I missed the touchdown zone and I failed for the Q- requirements.

Can you explain what the correct touchdown zone is or show it on a screenshot?:helpsmilie:

I'm normally aiming for the big fat lines touching down just behind them but it seems to be no good.

I've attached a screen with my touchdown marks.

Greetings

Rick

The correct landing zone is measured accurately in the ME as per the briefing. Q is 150' to 1000' from the runway threshold. Q- is 0' to 149' and 1001' to 1500'.

In testing I found it hard to hit the correct spot too so I added a couple of vehicles on the road to the left. If you land on the runway in the space defined by the two vehicles you will be in the touchdown zone. It's subtle so I didn't want to reveal it unless anyone asked.:smilewink:

Check the screenshot I made from the ME so you can see what I mean. Hope this helps as it did help me.

765802743_CopyofLauncher2011-07-1523-35-50-34.thumb.jpg.117e9362b35133131b7df6f0af564ea2.jpg

Finally managed to get the BFT01 start up done in the time frame without missing anything, and was doing really well at the taxiing till it came to the right turn with the moving fuel trucks. Try again time.

While the default training missions are good for guiding you through things step by step, these are really good to see if you've actually learnt anything and can put it into practice.

I love it. Thanks for these missions. Just what I was looking for.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

system specs:

AMD 1100T X6, Asus Crosshair 4 Formula Mobo, 16 Gigs GSkill DDR3, XFX R9-290X 4GB 512-Bit, X-52 flight stick set, Samsung 2560x1440, Win7 64

Sorry for the delay in responding (work has been hectic and has taken me away from my beloved hobby) :cry:

I checked the track but I'm not sure the one you uploaded is correct. The start is ok but you don't get airborne, the plane veers off the runway and crashes into some equipment. Sorry.

The trk file is ok in my system, so I guess there's still a bug inside the track system in DCSWH. Well what I'm going to try is to make a video instead and I'll give you a link.

Thanks again!

---------------------

So here's BFT06 video. I've noticed that head movements (TrackIr) have not been recorded in the track file... Another little bug I guess.

It would be great If you could check it.

Mmm...Video quality is not good enough to read anything in the cokpit. I hope it won't be a problem.

Thanks

Edited by coke23
Added link to video

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Really love these missions, thanks!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CM HAF-X | Corsair HX1000i | ASUS P8P67Pro | Intel Core i7 2600 @ 4.0GHz | Corsair CWCH70 | G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | ASUS GeForce GTX 970 4GB | Plextor M5Pro 256GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB * 2 RAID 0 | WD Caviar Green 2TB | Windows 10 Professional X64 | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedal

The trk file is ok in my system, so I guess there's still a bug inside the track system in DCSWH. Well what I'm going to try is to make a video instead and I'll give you a link.

Thanks again!

---------------------

So here's BFT06 video. I've noticed that head movements (TrackIr) have not been recorded in the track file... Another little bug I guess.

It would be great If you could check it.

Mmm...Video quality is not good enough to read anything in the cokpit. I hope it won't be a problem.

Thanks

Thanks for posting the video. That definitely helped me understand what was happening. Here are my findings and some thoughts going forward...

1. At ~03:33 where the FE says "Fly Heading 300 A6 at 200 knots" after the turn to 040 - that is a bug. I didn't hit it in testing but that message should not come after the turn request. To avoid it try to get to the 300, a6, 200 knots as quickly as you can after takeoff.

2. It was hard to see in the video but when recovering from the stall or spin just recover to level flight as quickly as you can. Don't worry about recovering at a specific altitude. As long as the altitude is higher than A9 then you will be ok. If you are not on the 040 A10 220 knots course the FE will advise you.

3. I noticed your climb to A15 was at 10 degrees up angle. I suggest try climbing steeper but don't let your speed drop below 160 knots (the FE will warn you if you do). I don't know if this is actual USAF procedure but if the FE gives an order I would expect it would be carried out as quickly as possible. So a slow climb definitely would put you close to the edge of the MOA.

When I update the mission to fix the bug, I'll increase the MOA by a larger distance and also add a warning message from the FE if you start to get close to exiting it. The mission is not a timed mission so maybe I can figure out some logic that would have you reverse course to a certain point and then reposition for the defensive spiral again.

So for now I would say try and make your climbs more aggressive (trade distance for altitude if you know what I mean). Let me know how it goes.

I'll post to the forum when I get a chance to update the mission.

Thanks for playing.

Finally managed to get the BFT01 start up done in the time frame without missing anything, and was doing really well at the taxiing till it came to the right turn with the moving fuel trucks. Try again time.

While the default training missions are good for guiding you through things step by step, these are really good to see if you've actually learnt anything and can put it into practice.

Thanks to you and everyone who has given feedback. I'm hoping this attempt will give me a recipe that I can reuse for all the DCS series including Blackshark and new DCS titles to come.

When the Nellis addon comes out I'll be porting the missions there and I hope to include some realistic weapons training missions too (based on the USAF Weapons School under the USAF Warfare Center located at Nellis).

Does anyone know if there are any issues (copyright wise) if I use actual graphics or icons from the USAF Weapons school or Warfare Center in the missions? I'd like to include them in the diagrams in the mission briefing sections for added realism.

Thanks for posting the video. That definitely helped me understand what was happening. Here are my findings and some thoughts going forward...

1. At ~03:33 where the FE says "Fly Heading 300 A6 at 200 knots" after the turn to 040 - that is a bug. I didn't hit it in testing but that message should not come after the turn request. To avoid it try to get to the 300, a6, 200 knots as quickly as you can after takeoff.

2. It was hard to see in the video but when recovering from the stall or spin just recover to level flight as quickly as you can. Don't worry about recovering at a specific altitude. As long as the altitude is higher than A9 then you will be ok. If you are not on the 040 A10 220 knots course the FE will advise you.

3. I noticed your climb to A15 was at 10 degrees up angle. I suggest try climbing steeper but don't let your speed drop below 160 knots (the FE will warn you if you do). I don't know if this is actual USAF procedure but if the FE gives an order I would expect it would be carried out as quickly as possible. So a slow climb definitely would put you close to the edge of the MOA.

When I update the mission to fix the bug, I'll increase the MOA by a larger distance and also add a warning message from the FE if you start to get close to exiting it. The mission is not a timed mission so maybe I can figure out some logic that would have you reverse course to a certain point and then reposition for the defensive spiral again.

So for now I would say try and make your climbs more aggressive (trade distance for altitude if you know what I mean). Let me know how it goes.

I'll post to the forum when I get a chance to update the mission.

Thanks for playing.

You were right about not trying to recover original altitude. For me that was the fastest way to get to angels 15, and receiving the order to execute the defensive spiral before reaching MOA's limit.

My problem was that I always intended to maintain airspeed faster than 200 knots and I thought I had to recover original altitude to angels 10.

Now my new problem is executing correctly the defensive spiral an the lazy eight....:(

Thanks for your help.

Edit.

I Finally got Q-!

But I didn't do it so well with the spiral dive and the lazy eight though. Could you give me any indication?

Edited by coke23
Finally did it!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've searched the forums but couldn't find a reference to this topic so starting a new thread.

The training in DCS-A10C is excellent but what I would like to have is a Flight Qualification Campaign that mimics the training and flight quals of what an actual A10 pilot would go through.

Each mission would cover a specific training element and to pass you need to succeed with each mission. At the end of the campaign you would be considered qualified to fly the A-10C in combat.

I've been doing some research on the web and think I have enough information to build a campaign but I don't want to do that if someone has already started.

I realize this is a game and you can just jump right into a combat mission but given the realism in this sim I would like to pass a formal qualification test before moving onto combat missions.

Any comments, advice or references would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Here are the links to the missions:

BFT01 - Ground Handling: http://files.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/38337/

BFT02 - Takeoff and EFATO: http://files.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/38355/ Updated to V1.1 pending moderator approval

BFT03 - Fly Traffic Pattern: http://files.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/54269/

BFT04 - Approach and Landing: http://files.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/38538/

BFT05 - Basic Maneuvers: http://files.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/40645/

BFT06 - Advanced Handling: http://files.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/59513/

BFT07 - Aerobatics: http://files.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/84637/

BFT08 - Emergencies - Under Development

BFT09 - Instrument Approach and Landing - Under Development

BFT10 - Instrument Flight Plan Navigation - Under Development

BFT11 - Fly 2 Ship as Wingman - Under Development

BFT12 - Fly 2 Ship as Lead - Under Development

BFT13 - Tactical Formations - Under Development

BFT14 - Extended Trail - Under Development

BFT15 - Low Level Flight Plan - Under Development

Yuor mission don't work, where is the: .miz file?

KnightRaider

Processor: Intel i7 4790S 3.20GHz OC at 4.04GHz

Monitor: BenQ XR3501 35inches

Graphic Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 - Twin Frozr V - OC Edition - 4G GDDR5

Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII FORMULA

Memory: Kingston 32G DDR3 2400Mhz Hyper X Beast

HDD: WD 2x500G, WD Velociraptor 300G, SSD Kingston 150G

Joystick: Trusmaster Warthog Hotas,

TrackIR5 Pro

Hi Sabre, my first contact with the Mission Editor was motivated by the amount of frustration I got from a huge number of failures I had with your #6 mission ... and I feel lucky enough from having such a good reason to be persistent on that task as it looks like programming with assembly language. You really have to know what you're doing to get any consistent result.

So here I am with 2 questions:

• #1 WTF those heading parameters that look like their effective-value has to be the complement to 360!
    :cry: Any comment on that ?

• #2 is about BFT06's Flags 41 and 43 heading triggers:

• It would make more sense if Flag 43 heading was exactly the same as Flag 41 heading. That would simply be facing the same quadrant with a banking angle in the opposite direction while getting back on course.

...and this could be related to...

• Flag 43 UNIT'S HEADING LIMITS MIN=165 is greater than its MAX=95

Everything would be easier if both headings were MIN:165 MAX:275, meaning:

MIN=(360-165) = 195

MAX=(360-275) = 85

:book: That would be facing SE near lazy 8 start and end.

- facing SE, turning East from initial 210 heading (start check).

- facing SE, turning West back on course to 210 (end check).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

[edit]

In the mean time, I cheat with my debug Lazy8.miz in which I added some means to restart the lazy8 test if you bank upside down and get back to 210-8000.

+ With banking white messages above hard deck 4600, heading messages every 30 deg boundaries below.

+ Flying above the landing zone above 5000 will restart the landing test.

...but no qualification or mission goals.

Lazy8_F41.jpg.0b5fc13bfeb26952a0f13bcc2905046e.jpg

Lazy8_F43.jpg.ac502ecd53adc1469594bbd2443a2fa3.jpg

Lazy8.miz

Edited by ivanwfr
Added Lazy8.miz