Recalculate Heading by subtracting from it

Taurian

I know it's got to be the easiest thing to do, but how in the heck do you calculate your new heading?

Example:

Current Heading: 026

I want to subtract 90 degrees from it. (Left turn, soon)

What would be my new heading?

I too use the HSI as a visual reference for quick reciprocals and differentials if it's not one that I happen to have memorized.

If you're interested in some other methods though, check this out:

http://www.digitalflightinstructor.com/reciprocal-headings/

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

To get the opposite direction, add 200 and subtract 20, or subtract 200 and add 20.

026 + 200 - 20 = 206°

Now you can easily add 90° for 296°.

206 - 200 + 20 = 26°

WC

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

Rule A: When your present heading falls between 000 and 180 ... To find a reciprocal heading 180 degrees opposite of your present heading, add 200 to your present heading and then subtract 20.

Rule B: When your present heading falls between 181 and 360 ... To find a reciprocal heading 180 degrees opposite of your present heading, subtract 200 to your present heading and then add 20.

This is useful for finding inbound/outbound headings for say a racetrack orbit.

Examples:

Your present heading is 345. Use Rule B: 345-200=145 and 145+20=165

Your present heading is 135. Use Rule A: 135+200=335 and 335-20=315

I don't need no stinkin' GPS! (except for PGMs :D) :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]