Adding mulitple skin packs

RCN_Moose

So, I was getting annoying with skin packs (the limited number we have) overwriting the previous skins, so, I combined all of the skin packs together (config file wise)

The following four files (db_countries, Ka-50.skins, Ka-50.lua, and graphics.cfg) will allow you to have Mitchs awesome skin pack, ED Christmas Skin Pack, Ka-50 Digital Ka-50 DOSAAF

and my Canadian Camo Pack installed at the same time.

Basically you want to install the skins one at a time, then use the following four files which have been modified to allow all of the skins to play nice together)

This will only work if you have all 4 packs.

Edited by RCN_Moose
Requires additional skin pack (KA-50 DOSAAF)

While i do appreciate the time you;ve spent doing this, i really think the skin system should really be addressed by ED to be more user friendly. Perhaps a standard skin container file (like the new mission file) containing the Texture and whatever else is needed, in one file.

This could be placed in a certain designated directory for BS to search for additional skins.

Nate

strange that Mitches don't work. I should mention that I'm using the English Version, not sure if that makes a difference.

On the note of easy installs for multiple skins, I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately as it is now, while making skins is no problem, add the information into the various configs is a PITA. I'm hoping that when MODMAN 7 comes out, it will simplify this.

EDIT: SP, when you say Mitches don't work, do you mean the digital ones? Thats was my bad, they are from the Ka-50 Digital Ka-50 DOSAAF download from lockonfiles.

Edited by RCN_Moose

T.Bone, generally if you're missing textures it means you missing a .cdds file for that particular skin. The above files, by themselves, will not give you any extra skins. You still need to download, and install all 4 of the skin packs, one at a time. After you install them all, you can add the above files so you can use them all at the same time.

Since Modman 7 is now out, I'm going to try converting my skins over to it. Hopefully it will solve alot of issues for adding skins.

T.Bone, generally if you're missing textures it means you missing a .cdds file for that particular skin. The above files, by themselves, will not give you any extra skins. You still need to download, and install all 4 of the skin packs, one at a time. After you install them all, you can add the above files so you can use them all at the same time.

Since Modman 7 is now out, I'm going to try converting my skins over to it. Hopefully it will solve alot of issues for adding skins.

ok so were do i find all 4 of the skins?

it won't

IT CAN

-------

it can replace existing skin like for lockon series (aircraft skin, terrain, airbase,weapon, etc...)

it can add new CDDS skin files and add/remove entries automatically in config.cfg file

it can replace, add, delete all type all files

IT CAN NOT

-----------

but about the country.lua and *.skins files entries

you must modify by hand...

you can blame ED to have made the most difficult way to add a skin....

it's a world record.... it's not user friendly at all....

and adding section in .skins files automatically with an utility such like ModMan is also very difficult...

the most difficult is to find the good indexes... and inserting/removing good things at the good places...

what seem very simple for human hand could be not simple at all for a program... :(

if someone has got skill to develop a command line .exe utility to do it.

he will be welcome and ModMan will be able to call this .exe line command (with a text file as parameter entry).

On my side i can't promise when it will be fully automatical...i'am working on it but it's very very difficult and long to implement.

sorry for that...

Skypat, thanks for the info. I won't says it's the MOST difficult way of adding skins, but it's certainly........involved.

For MODMAN, aside from the .cdds files, can I use it to package the other files with it? After I have modified them by hand? I fully understand the difficulty of trying to get a program to do it automatically, hell even trying to add multiple skins by hand is timeconsuming and I still make typos.....

you can blame ED to have made the most difficult way to add a skin....

it's a world record.... it's not user friendly at all....

+1

Absolutely agree. i don't know what's with this attitude towards the skins with this game.There isn't even an option to view the skin you select for the plane before you play the mission. Not even the ability to change skins in online game.

Whoever made a skin for a game or another knows how many times you have to go back and adjust few things here and there when you make a skin. This makes the whole process absurdly painful.

Someone at ED is really hating the skins for some reasons. I remember few years back there was this attitude in some circles. Many people were blaming every network related issue (lag, warps) to custom skins.

External skins shouldn't be considered "Mods". This only gives the developers a reason to not care about them. All a skiner should have to do is build the textures to the game's format. The game itself should have the skin installer/viewer as part of the package.

When you think there's only a single flyable machine in the game, this is really disappointing.

NZXT-Phantom820; Gigabyte Aorus x570 Master:Ryzen 3950x Corsair H150i;AORUS GTX 1080 Ti 11G; 32GB(2x16)G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz(16-16-16-36); Aorus PCIe Gen4 m.2 NMVe 2TB SSD;Samsung EvoPlusM.2NMVe 1TB SSD;Crucial M4 128GB SSD+Crucial M4 256GB SSD: Coolermaster 1200W psu; CH Fighterstick+CH Pro pedals+Saitek X45

Win10 64bit

yes you can

package all the files

- cdds files

- ".skins" file modified by hand

- "country" file modified by hand

- others files needed

DON'T package the config.cfg file

Modman will add/remove automatically CDDS entries in graphics.cfg files after installing/uninstalling mod

just be aware that if someone else do also a package and modify also the same "*.skin" file, your skin won't work anymore

but i think, you know that

best regards

Skypat

Skypat, thanks for the info. I won't says it's the MOST difficult way of adding skins, but it's certainly........involved.

For MODMAN, aside from the .cdds files, can I use it to package the other files with it? After I have modified them by hand? I fully understand the difficulty of trying to get a program to do it automatically, hell even trying to add multiple skins by hand is timeconsuming and I still make typos.....

My contribution on this issue - the skins that were used in IL-2:FB/AEP/PB were so easy to work and install into the skin folders of each plane model. Why can ED not follow that method with their current skin/modelling. Why did they go to such a complicated way of doing things?