How to Land the Dora

wolle

@rrhode: The gear indicators on the wings have a white portion where it meets the wing, if not visible, then the gear is not fully down or damaged. It is probably only 1cm or so deep, so may not be very visible on some setups.

@dallas48: It is for an A8 rather than a D9. Sorry, no matter what I do, it appears here as a document. (you should be able to dl from the pdf in the post). If you want to go to the original page, it is here http://www.lexpev.nl/manuals/index.html

This link shows details of the gear. There is no down lock, just the pressure of a smallish spring, and the gearing of the electric motor itself. http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/fw190landinggear_1.htm

Edited by mkiii

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just in case anyone wants to edit the texture files to make the white indicator more visible (it is v blurry on original texture), Here is where it is on the texture. This just happens to be the US one I experimented on. The key is the 04 in the file name. There are 2 wing textures , the indicator is on the starboard wing map.

fw-190_usa1943_04.bmp%20copy.jpg

I tried Tomsk's method quite a few times & although I could land it (sometimes) using power set to 1500rpm it brought me more problems than it solved

The upside for me was it is a really good way to reduce rate of descent and preventing the overflair/bounce that then results in smashing onto the runway on the second attempt

The downside was it increases the amount of time the Dora is in the critical stall regime between 200-160kph. This then resulted in an extremely squirrely Dora, which I found hard to control.

Its either because I do not have sufficient speed of reaction (the joys of old age) or a developed enough skill set. I was trying the landings at Groom Lake,so landing the (arguably) trickiest aircraft at the trickiest field

I made another video, its very similar to the other one I posted before, just another. Oh and I do not achieve that level too often its usually more of a thump and squeal of the tyres

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g9IM673uyQ[/ame]

Edited by Weegie

• ED Team

More fun

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

More fun

Yeah, love to do that in the 109 as well! :thumbup:

Too bad that Erich Brunotte didn't test DCS very long; in that video with him it seems as if he gave up flying the 190 in DCS really quick (does anyone know why?). Would have loved to see him do more testing in that regard, and then hear him discuss it all relative to what he's doing in DCS vs what he did in real life back then...

BTW - where's part 2 of that video?

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

• ED Team
Yeah, love to do that in the 109 as well! :thumbup:

Too bad that Erich Brunotte didn't test DCS very long; in that video with him it seems as if he gave up flying the 190 in DCS really quick (does anyone know why?). Would have loved to see him do more testing in that regard, and then hear him discuss it all relative to what he's doing in DCS vs what he did in real life back then...

BTW - where's part 2 of that video?

No, he flew for a long time, but the cut rules and the 30 min format do the bad trick :)

It's a problem a bit how arrange so many things in one place :) but the discussion was really long that time... hope one day Part II and II will be translated.

Anyway, now the sideslip landing and hammerheads (stall turnes) can be done.

Edited by Yo-Yo

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

No, he flew for a long time

That's good to hear! ...and I am sure I am not the only one wanting to hear is feedback on flying the DCS 190. What did he say? Did he feel "at home" in the 3D cockpit? What did he like? What didn't he like? Did it "feel" realistic to him? ...etc, etc. There has to be some "directors cut" of these videos out there for us enthusiasts.

Anyway, now the sideslip landing and hammerheads (stall turnes) can be done.

Haven't tried hammerheads yet... going to asap. :)

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

• ED Team

Haven't tried hammerheads yet... going to asap. :)

Exactly as he told to do it. :)

I tried Tomsk's method quite a few times & although I could land it (sometimes) using power set to 1500rpm it brought me more problems than it solved

Ha :-) Everyone has a style and a set of things that work for them. I actually don't usually make the mistake of flaring too high any more since getting my rift (hoorah for depth perception, it really helps), but there are actually lots of ways to land successfully. I personally like landing with a little power, if you're happy to burn runway, gives you more time to settle the plane. But I don't find the plane too squirrelly at those speeds ...

The video you posted is a really nice landing, only thing I'd say is that you say stay off the rudder whereas I constantly correct with rudder. I'd have been a bit uncomfortable being so far off centreline so close to the threshold and would have been all over it with the rudder quite a bit sooner. But that's just my preference, it was a very smooth landing :thumbup:

Ha :-) Everyone has a style and a set of things that work for them. I actually don't usually make the mistake of flaring too high any more since getting my rift (hoorah for depth perception, it really helps), but there are actually lots of ways to land successfully. I personally like landing with a little power, if you're happy to burn runway, gives you more time to settle the plane. But I don't find the plane too squirrelly at those speeds ...

The video you posted is a really nice landing, only thing I'd say is that you say stay off the rudder whereas I constantly correct with rudder. I'd have been a bit uncomfortable being so far off centreline so close to the threshold and would have been all over it with the rudder quite a bit sooner. But that's just my preference, it was a very smooth landing :thumbup:

Thanks Tomsk But as I said landings that smooth are few and far between

Have you tried Groom yet, just wondering. I'll go to Black Sea and try your method, funny another guy was also praising the partial power technique to me the other day. So you definitely have something there for sure. It may be a technique to use under certain circumstances and not others

The reason for not centering at the threshold is experience has taught me that coming off the power kicks the aircraft to the right

As far as the rudders I agree no right and wrong really all preference and degree. I try to stay off the rudder on the approach as it tends to make the nose bob around so I prefer to use the ailerons and point the nose that way, I just find it a bit smoother. Close to the deck when on the flare though yes I do sometimes give the rudder a kick if I start to wander left or right and of course once on the deck they are absolutely essential usually.

If anything that landing was too good for illustration as I don't even need to touch the rudder on the roll out and that is VERY unusual

• ED Team
Now that is skill Yo Yo

Need to give that a go..........................I know this will not end well

I just said for myself: "For Dora: what Erich did, I must do!", and, by the way, as we greeted Erich this year, he was very pleased with this free quotation from his interview. :)

And nothing very hard to learn - just practice. You use sideslip angle instead of throttle staying on the speed during the descent. And keeping the ground reference point at the same place relative to canopy framework palying with bank angle.

Edited by Yo-Yo

Did you forget your video evidence of this as well :)

Hi,

because of the bad rl weather at present, i had to try this myself

greez mugen

ps: relation to this thread is at the vary end of the vid, ie. landing the dora :thumbup:

• Like 1

GIGABYTE Z690 Aorus Elite | i5-12600K | 32 GB DDR4 | 2x 980 NVMe | RTX 4090 | OR CV1 | Pimax 8K | PC360 | 34UM95 | 38GN950 | TIR5 + Track Clip Pro | T-50CM2 | TM Warthog + 27,5 cm extension | MFG Crosswind | Win10Pro x64

Thanks, eekz.

GIGABYTE Z690 Aorus Elite | i5-12600K | 32 GB DDR4 | 2x 980 NVMe | RTX 4090 | OR CV1 | Pimax 8K | PC360 | 34UM95 | 38GN950 | TIR5 + Track Clip Pro | T-50CM2 | TM Warthog + 27,5 cm extension | MFG Crosswind | Win10Pro x64

• 1 month later...

#3 is important

Manish

I believe most of us tend to initially pull the stick all the way back and past 150-170 km/h.

This certainly calls for problems, because you stall it right at takeoff :-)

The correct procedure for me is:

1) just slightly pull the stick back when you apply takeoff power ( which should show 3200 RPM )

2) center joystick in pitch around 150 km/h, and at the same time use rudder to stay in the rw - the tail will rise so, further right rudder will be necessary!

3) apply a bit of right aileron just before getting airborne

I have to test with different x-wind settings now, and will report my findings.

• 1 month later...

Well I posted up some videos of the best method I could come up with, but I still wasn't happy as it could still be hit and miss!!!

Soooo I revisited and tested various techniques & found Little D's tutorial, was the best method by far.

Using his technique the aircraft just floats down onto the deck making the flare height and angle a lot less critical.

At last a reliable landing technique

Big :thumbup: and many thanks to Little D

His methods are here

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2636447#post2636447

Here was an early attempt by me using his technique

Even with my ham fisted, sausage fingers operating the stick it touches down without (too much) drama

Now if he'd make one for the Kurtfurst :worthy:

Edited by Weegie

Well I posted up some videos of the best method I could come up with, but I still wasn't happy as it could still be hit and miss!!!

Soooo I revisited and tested various techniques & found Little D's tutorial, was the best method by far.

Using his technique the aircraft just floats down onto the deck making the flare height and angle a lot less critical.

At last a reliable landing technique

Big :thumbup: and many thanks to Little D

His methods are here

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2636447#post2636447

Here was an early attempt by me using his technique

Even with my ham fisted, sausage fingers operating the stick it touches down without (too much) drama

Now if he'd make one for the Kurtfurst :worthy:

Hi Weegie,

nice landing, welldone +1. If i would have the BF109K4, i would make also a

video. I know the rest of the DCS flightscool is still missing, but the rest i will do when DCS goes realy to WW2, as there will be the right dogfights, so i have enough videos to explane the K14 visier and his correct use etc. Also i will do the start and landing again, with the WW2 backround :-)

regards

Little_D

1./JG2_Little_D

Staffelkapitän

1./Jagdgeschwader 2 "Richthofen"

"Go for the leader, if you can. The path is the goal, the kill the result."

"The one who has 12, leads. The one who has six, follows."

YouTube Channel: 1./JG2 Filmkanal

Hi Weegie,

nice landing, welldone +1. If i would have the BF109K4, i would make also a

video. I know the rest of the DCS flightscool is still missing, but the rest i will do when DCS goes realy to WW2, as there will be the right dogfights, so i have enough videos to explane the K14 visier and his correct use etc. Also i will do the start and landing again, with the WW2 backround :-)

regards

Little_D

I'll look forward to future instructional videos Little_D, whenever that may be.

Many thanks for the kind comments, but all I did was follow your tutorial

I wanted to get your video some more exposure. Following it to the letter turns the Dora from a Tiger to a pussycat.

Anybody who wants to conquer the Dora simply has to watch your video and follow the instructions you give

Oh and while on the topic, your video is edited and all the titles beautifully done.

A first class professional production.

Little_D's method looks very similar to mine: fairly steep on final, flare out and hold the nose at a set attitude, leave a little bit of power on and just let the plane float down onto the runway when it's ready.

I often keep that 1500 rpm right until the wheels are safely on the ground. It's a very fail safe way to do it: it's tolerant to flaring a bit too high (it'll just take longer to float down), it's tolerant to having a bit too much speed (you'll just use more runway). If you hold the right attitude it won't stall out on you (you'll just descend) and if you leave a bit of power on you wont sink too fast into the deck. There are ways of landing that use slightly less runway, but any sane three-point landing is usually fairly short.

I don't worry about a "2/3 breakpoint" and such like, but then I use a FFB stick and at those kind of slow speeds the stick is comfortable and very light across the whole range.

• 4 weeks later...

So I continually revisited landing technique as I just could not get a consistent technique. Now thanks to Little-D, Tomsk and a bit of experimentation I have

Here are 2 YouTube videos of the technique.

I explain the procedure in the description, later I might make a proper instructional video, but I hope this might help for now.

This bird as been a pain and a lotta fun at the same time.............I freely admit I'm about as bad a simmer as they come, but I have loads of fun.

Oh not sure why I'm not getting a contact sound on the touch down I think its due to the sound mod I'm running. When using another mod on the the same replays I get the familiar rumble as wheels make contact..........but no squealing of tortured tires........Whoo Hooo

• 3 weeks later...

Since the update to 1.5.5.5 has anyone else noticed that the Dora is now somewhat harder to land (& take off), or am I just out of practice?

[bUMP] So No One has noticed any changes since 5.5.5.5?

Edited by mkiii