Sea eagle flight path

Galwran

The sea eagle missiles follow the ground contours too closely. I'm pretty sure that they shouldn't dive in to every nook and cranny when fired over terrain. The flight path should be much smoother.

Of course it is nice that they do not collide with mountains,but they look really stupid diving in to canyons and then pulling up again.

Sources?

I have not idea about this weapon but I guess it has a radar to detect ita altitude. So, i dont think how it can work differently...

I'm pretty sure that the missile would not fly nap of earth and take steep dives in to canyons without hitting the walls.

Apparently, according to Wikipedia, it has a radar altimeter.

In what capacity it can follow terrain however, is not known.

Once launched the Sea Eagle is completely autonomous, with the flight and target seeking completely controlled by the on-board computer system which functions according to programmable options covering a large set of cruise, search and attack options, including a simple, pre-programmed 'point and shoot' mode that allows it to be carried by basic aircraft without radar, using targeting information radioed to the pilot from external sources or even visually located by him, with the missile's short minimum range assisting this. Other modes integrate with more sophisticated weapon systems and sensors and allow Sea Eagle to be programmed during flight by the parent aircraft using targeting data from the aircraft's on board radar sensors or via off-board data-link networks. 'Dog leg' routes can be programmed into the missile's computer to allow a salvo of missiles to arrive from different directions, saturating the target's defences. A twin-gyro attitude reference system, digital flight control computer and autopilot are used to give the missile an over-the-horizon capability. A C-band radar altimeter allows the missile to fly at very low level, minimising the range at which a ship can detect it. The J-band active radar target seeker can detect targets up to 30 km away, allowing a mid-course update of target position through a 'pop up' manoeuvre if required.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

• 2 weeks later...
Perhaps record a track and watch it in Tacview to see how many G's it's pulling.

I returned from my holiday and did some tests: if fired over the coastal mountains, the missile pulls 7Gs many times and is almost constantly at 2-3Gs.