Landing the Huey

Para_Bellum

Meh! This weekend I've managed to crash into the right airbase. :)

Haha, yeah, that's pretty much where I am with the Huey as well. :D

I think Para_Bellum's landing looked pretty decent, I'm hoping to get there sometime this... year or so. But from what Robert said, he should have a series of great landing tutorials up very soon, so that should make things a lot easier for the rest of us. :)

I have a philosophy about landing the Huey. Any landing which does not result in an explosion is a good one.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

it seems to need way to much power and when going back into GE, the power gets lost to easy also.. :joystick:

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

That was great compared to what i have been able to accomplish.

My decent is great from what ever till I get to the transition to a hover point.

At that time Huey and I jump on the mat, He has both of my hands and feet tied up and I am pushing against him for all I am worth. We wrestle back and forth for a while and usually I eventually wear him out and he gives in but it takes a lot of work and I am sweating by that time.

If anybody was in the back on my landings they would beat me to death when we got on the ground:doh:

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

The only thing seriously amiss with that approach was that the skids weren't aligned at touchdown. While you can get away with it on the smooth surface of DCS World, real world grass and dirt would probably cause you to dig in a little and possibly tip.

Still, not too bad considering how long you've had to practice. Keep at it and keep posting videos. :)

300 fpm/30 knots is not an instant VRS death sentence. A lot of factors affect and influence VRS so the books will tell stay below/above 300/30 becauses you definitely won't enter VRS and you'll be safe.

The (RL) Huey is incredibly hard to get into VRS. Personally I've had one in a 500 fpm descent at 0 KIAS, then pulled the collective straight to 50 PSI. Took a while to stop the inertia from the descent, but no VRS.

Lots of aircraft are very different and it's foolish to try to dictate to others with absolute authority the rules of aerodynamics and/or tactics, notice how I didn't try to tell anyone what the R22 can or can't do?

Let's try to offer each other suggestions and ideas rather than deliver judgement and condemnation.

If it's a bad idea, but it works, it's not a bad idea (okay maybe a little silly).

- Bear

• Like 2

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

- Robert A. Heinlein

for the record, any descent rate higher than 300 feet per minute will get you into Vortex Ring State troubles at speeds lower than 30 knots...
Actually, while I'm going through the training material for flying Hueys, the USAF one (the one with 30° normal landing approach), gives a little more room. The limit to stay away from is 800fpm. I'd have to dig around at home, but I remember Nick Lappos (Army Cobra pilot in Vietnam, test pilot/project manager for Sikorsky, Gulfstream, Bell) was stating that VRS can be expected at 0 relative horizontal windspeed, and rate of descent equal to the prop-wash speed - usually around 750fpm (2500fpm for Osprey) + of course a lot of power. When I get back from work, I'll dig around for his stuff.

[edit] Oh, look, here's one:

Vortex ring is the fancy term for the rotor eating its own downwash. Simply

said, when you descend near vertically at the same speed as your downwash, you

invite the rotor to simply push around the same old air, instead of making

mayhem on fresh stuff. If the rotor eats its own downwash, the net effect is

on the power you must use to prevent rapid descent. Basically, the rotor

wastes so much power just churning air that there isn't any left over to break

your fall ( we could describe powered flight as the clever use of fuel and

noise to temporarily prevent falling). The magic descent rate depends on the

disk loading (pounds of gross weight per square foot of rotor disk). The

lighter the disk loading (like in typical recip trainers) the easier it is to

find Vortex Ring state in a normal approach. Typical downwash (induced)

velocities for light recips might be about 10 knots (17 ft per second, 1000 ft

per minute). If you steeply descend near that rate, you will nibble at Vortex

Ring.

Many cases of falling thru on short final might simply be having insufficient

power to hover OGE, and not full blown Vortex Ring.

Slow day at work, have time for net browsing :D

Edited by Sundowner.pl

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"If a place needs helicopters, it's probably not worth visiting." - Nick Lappos

I have a philosophy about landing the Huey. Any landing which does not result in an explosion is a good one.

Hi,

there is only one problem for me.

I mastered it once the rest were huge explosions. I ask myself if i would ever be able to hover and to land the Huey.

S!

I mastered it once the rest were huge explosions. I ask myself if i would ever be able to hover and to land the Huey.

S!

Yes :)

Wait for the next update - the old girl is a lot less squirrelly. If I can manage it with a non-FFB Cougar at Pitch and Roll curves set at 4, Collective curve at 5, the you will also be able to.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Ah, that's nice to know. Thanks Viper.

Toad, Shark, Huey and Mi-8 driver.

27" iMac 3.4Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, 2GB 680MX . Logitech G940 (modded), 2 x crappy Dell 1024x768 monitors for ShKval, ABRIS etc. TrackIR 3, Trackclip Pro.

Yes :)

Wait for the next update - the old girl is a lot less squirrelly. If I can manage it with a non-FFB Cougar at Pitch and Roll curves set at 4, Collective curve at 5, the you will also be able to.

Hi Viper,

you are very optimistic. With my Warthog i am stiring around like baking some cookies. This is not flying its cooking.:lol:

I knew Choppers were hard to fly but i couldnt believe it how HARD.

BUT I WILL NOT GIVE UP!! I like my Huey, dont know if she likes me!

I want to be optimistic and wait for the update.

TY

S!

Edited by LcSummers

VRS is being worked on. Too easy to enter VRS at present.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

VRS is being worked on. Too easy to enter VRS at present.

you think?! :thumbup:

but I will still practice as I get better so will the Huey!

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

I understand it`s beta(and WIP), though a list what is being worked on would be appreciated and we could refer to that list. And it should be made sticky.

VRS is being worked on

Stabilisation bar

....and so on.

Edited by EagleEye

Deutsche DCS-Flughandbücher

SYSSpecs: i7-4790K @4GHz|GA-Z97X-SLI|16GB RAM|ASUS GTX1070|Win10 64bit|TrackIR5|TM Warthog/Saitek Pro Pedals

I understand it`s beta(and WIP), though a list what is being worked on would be appreciated and we could refer to that list. And it should be made sticky.

VRS is being worked on

Stabilisation bar

....and so on.

VRS

Vortex ring state...

When you are falling into your own downwind created vortex, near hover.

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

The only thing seriously amiss with that approach was that the skids weren't aligned at touchdown. While you can get away with it on the smooth surface of DCS World, real world grass and dirt would probably cause you to dig in a little and possibly tip.

Still, not too bad considering how long you've had to practice. Keep at it and keep posting videos. :)

300 fpm/30 knots is not an instant VRS death sentence. A lot of factors affect and influence VRS so the books will tell stay below/above 300/30 becauses you definitely won't enter VRS and you'll be safe.

The (RL) Huey is incredibly hard to get into VRS. Personally I've had one in a 500 fpm descent at 0 KIAS, then pulled the collective straight to 50 PSI. Took a while to stop the inertia from the descent, but no VRS.

Lots of aircraft are very different and it's foolish to try to dictate to others with absolute authority the rules of aerodynamics and/or tactics, notice how I didn't try to tell anyone what the R22 can or can't do?

Let's try to offer each other suggestions and ideas rather than deliver judgement and condemnation.

If it's a bad idea, but it works, it's not a bad idea (okay maybe a little silly).

- Bear

OK just for the record here, what I said was using the numbers he had originally stated he would certainly go into VRS and since his numbers were 1000 feet per minute and that is considerably higher than the 800 you have stated, I still hold to my statement that he would auger into the ground.. I also said several times that I could not speak for the Huey itself but that my experience comes from an R22...

I tried to keep my 22 experience separate from the huey and still allow for the fact that the info IS still pertinent.. I don't see where I had condemned or judged anything other than IF his published numbers were correct, THEN their may be some issues with the vrs...

I am not condemning anything here I am very impressed with the module!

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

...any descent rate higher than 300 feet per minute will get you into Vortex Ring State troubles at speeds lower than 30 knots...

I appreciate that you've now begun to use words like 'if' and 'may' to indicate that you are not certain, or speaking generally.

When referring to the Huey (and many other helicopters) your earlier (positive) assertion is wrong.

- Bear

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

- Robert A. Heinlein

OMG OMG OMG this sim is so great!

Just a few days ago I kept crashing all over the place. Today I managed to perform a couple of rooftop landings.

Okay, granted, I omitted the crash-pictures that kinda belong to the series. :music_whistling:

But anyways, it feels so absolutely cool to get better day by day. What a fantastic simulation! :thumbup:

Screen_130508_035758.thumb.jpg.e6b3a517e3651fd8f11932202dd40ca9.jpg

Screen_130508_041236.thumb.jpg.b841cd9666337d0d9cd00dbe47282c3b.jpg

Screen_130508_041345.thumb.jpg.4723a07a3b5fa022d4cba36b5bb0823b.jpg

OMG OMG OMG this sim is so great!

Just a few days ago I kept crashing all over the place. Today I managed to perform a couple of rooftop landings.

Okay, granted, I omitted the crash-pictures that kinda belong to the series. :music_whistling:

But anyways, it feels so absolutely cool to get better day by day. What a fantastic simulation! :thumbup:

Very cool! :thumbup:

My flying is improving but my landings...well, lets just say that I am positive I saw my co-pilot cross himself as I came in for landing recently. :D

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Just Checked my average today. 26 Landings 14 deaths. :megalol:

I think I need more than practice:book:

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

I think I'm surviving like 9 out of 10 landings now, but I still need oodles of practice. I tend to overcorrect with the cyclic when I'm low and slow and that clearly needs more work...

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

VRS

Vortex ring state...

When you are falling into your own downwind created vortex, near hover.

Sorry, you didn`t understand. (I certainly know what VRS is:)) I meant we need a official list where we can see what is being worked on. You know, there is a thread about VRS and and a tester wrotes it is being worked on. Then there is another thread about the stabilisation bar on the rotor mast and that the FM will be refinded for better effect of that bar. So these post get burried and the same questions where asked again and again... Understood?;)

Edited by EagleEye

Deutsche DCS-Flughandbücher

SYSSpecs: i7-4790K @4GHz|GA-Z97X-SLI|16GB RAM|ASUS GTX1070|Win10 64bit|TrackIR5|TM Warthog/Saitek Pro Pedals

Sorry, you didn`t understand. (I certainly know what VRS is:)) I meant we need a official list where we can see what is being worked on. You know, there is a thread about VRS and and a tester wrotes it is being worked on. Then there is another thread about the stabilisation bar on the rotor mast and that the FM will be refinded for better effect of that bar. So these post get burried and the same questions where asked again and again... Understood?;)

I'm sure that will come mate once things settle down a little for Belsimtek team. The Huey has only been out a very short time.

I would expect they are focusing on the stability, the community input and everything they can at this early stage to develop a strategy and list of priorities moving forward.

One thing that can be said is that their interaction with the community on this forum has really been top class, not trying to blow smoke here, but it has been, and based on that I am sure we will receive detailed feedback on a fairly regular basis in a formalized way moving forward.

For now lets keep the feedback coming, and enjoy our shiny new choppers.

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro