Left/right click inconsistencies?

Fred00

It's definitely been reported numerous times, so they are definitely aware. Where it lives in the pipeline for getting fixed is unknown. It's possible this is something that isn't passed over until closer to full release, as it's not necessarily game breaking... just inconvenient and odd.

Millenix | 68th Virtual Fighter Squadron

AV8B | AJS-37 | F-5E | Mig-21bis | P-51D | Spitfire Mk IX | Bf-109 | M-2000C | A-10C | U1-H1 | Ka-50 | FC3

last release or two is a lot more consistent, there was only 1 or 2 not-yet-fixed last time I checked in 1.5.4...

the guidelines from ED are:

2 position toggles with either mouse

3 position vertical toggle switches: right = up, down = left

3 position horizontle toggle switches: right = right, left = left

rotary switches: right = clockwise, left = counter-clockwise

Strange logic to me... the logic should be: Left = Activate/Forward and Right=Disable/Backward, but, then, i'am not realy using the clickable cockpit, so... if everybody is happy with this logic :D

I think there is no "western" or "eastern" logic here... the left button is the main one, so the one related to the "main/primary action": "enable", "on", "activate", "forward", "push", "more", "again" etc. whatever the spatial disposition ("horizontal", "vertical" or "rotary"). This is worldwide, since the introduction of a second buttons on mouses and natural evolution of video games... ED seem to have adopted some more "rational-metric-spatial" logic...and there is not realy rules here, since "main action" is not naturally related to any up/down or left/right except: forward or push...

Ergonomics... what a science...

I don't really care which mouse button does what, as long as it's consistent across all DCS modules. Which is not always the case.

Today it's just a headache as it's not consistent in some of the pits as also when switching pits. There really should be a standard how buttons operation is implemented.

last release or two is a lot more consistent, there was only 1 or 2 not-yet-fixed last time I checked in 1.5.4...

the guidelines from ED are:

Also the recommencement operations for 2-way switch should fallow the same logic - r-click = up, l-click - down and stay there - if r-clicked being up it should not toggle down. The same if the 3-position button is in the up position it should not switch down with one click. Than instead of 3 rules there would be 2 simple:

- r-click - up if possible, stay on max up; l-click opposite

- same for rotaries (than depending on how they work in real plane some could go over 360, others would be blocked).

The best implementation at the moment IMO is Mi-8 - which fallows the logic above.

Some day I'll get a heart attack in A-10C when the IFFCC goes to OFF immediately from ON when I wanted to put it into TEST.

Those are a simple things but done incorrectly can be extremely annoying :mad:

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Today it's just a headache as it's not consistent in some of the pits as also when switching pits. There really should be a standard how buttons operation is implemented.

Also the recommencement operations for 2-way switch should fallow the same logic - r-click = up, l-click - down and stay there - if r-clicked being up it should not toggle down. The same if the 3-position button is in the up position it should not switch down with one click. Than instead of 3 rules there would be 2 simple:

- r-click - up if possible, stay on max up; l-click opposite

- same for rotaries (than depending on how they work in real plane some could go over 360, others would be blocked).

The best implementation at the moment IMO is Mi-8 - which fallows the logic above.

Some day I'll get a heart attack in A-10C when the IFFCC goes to OFF immediately from ON when I wanted to put it into TEST.

Those are a simple things but done incorrectly can be extremely annoying :mad:

Ideally, the cursor would change aspect when hovering on a switch, showing how the click will affect the switch.

That would make switch manipulation obvious.

Example:

^v: left click up, right click down

v^: left click down, right click up

<>: left click left, right click right

><: left click right, rigth click left

That is something that could be done for new modules I suppose, by adding a property to the switch, that would be read when setting the cursor aspect.