I ♥ the NEW Su-27!!!

Belphe

:pilotfly::joystick::thumbup:

I thought there were only a few small changes....

• Like 1

War is easy and is just like riding a bike. Except the bike is on fire and the ground is on fire and you are on fire and you realise you are in hell :joystick:

:pilotfly::joystick::thumbup:

EDIT: Please, ignore me - I guess I must be finally learning how to fly... ;)

Welcome to the Su-27 fanatics club :pilotfly: :joystick:

Yep, there have definitely been some changes!

Trim is now even tamer. :thumbup:

Nose wheel turning is now significantly smoother. :thumbup:

Track IR support feels... weird. :unsure:

Dat roll response though... Ugh. :glare: :disgust:

The aircraft wallows horribly around the roll axis, even more so at low air speeds. Gone is the super-precise roll control that we used to have and the significant cross-talk between rudders & ailerons is back in full force. The thing's still nice and stable during finals which is good, but that roll response... Nasty. If it's realistic then so be it, we'll have to get used to it.

Edited by DarkFire

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

Yep, there have definitely been some changes!

Yesss!!! I'm not mental!!! :D

PS. Check you you haven't got any double controls assigned. I literary had to redo the axis setup as my rudder was controlling my pitch... Despite all that, after a second go I also find the roll behaviour to be a downgrade from what we had... :/

Edited by Belphe

Never say never, Baby!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Based on what?

Even with the previous version the super high spiral stability is at least questionable as is the very high roll inertia.

Although the Su-27 was my favourite when 'Flanker' appeared, the FM doesn't seem to be too realistic right now.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

... at least questionable as is the very high roll inertia

There's a report on the web by an active service US pilot that got the chance to fly an Su-27.

From memory the 3 things he didn't like were:

The brakes (no feel, straight to the floor if you pushed hard)

The lack of pitch stability

The high roll inertia

Now I'm always dubious about the impartiality of aviators from one country reporting on the opposition's gear (deliberate or unconscious), but that's still the issue he specifically mentioned...

Cheers.

Yep, liking the new gun sound - feels like a properly meaty 30mm cannon.

I'm also deeply in love with how smooth & precise ground steering has become - the new nose wheel steering is a joy to use.

Roll inertia is probably a matter of getting used to it. Ultimately I can kind of understand that the Su-27 has quite a high roll inertia, after all the engines are relatively widely spaced, the wings carry quite a weight in fuel and for a fighter it's generally a big lump of a thing.

I also like the subtle stall buffet that sets in at low airspeed and >20 degrees AOA. Helps you to 'feel' what AOA & speed the aircraft is at.

Edited by DarkFire

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

There's a report on the web by an active service US pilot that got the chance to fly an Su-27.

The high roll inertia

Now I'm always dubious about the impartiality of aviators from one country reporting on the opposition's gear (deliberate or unconscious), but that's still the issue he specifically mentioned...

Well, when you are used to planes that do the flying for you and cancel unwanted plane movements (such as supressing roll inertia)...:smilewink:

Technically the SU-27 also has a FBW system, but it does different things and works slightly differently. It helps prevent you from doing crazy stunts that would hurt the plane or make you stall, but AFAIK it did not actually make the plane fly for you exactly as you input it. That´s why we still have to trim with speed changes, as the FBW does not do that for you.

It did not fly "on rails", so to speak.

So for a common US military aviator born and raised on powerful machines kept in check by computerized flight controls it would feel like it has alot of inertia and no "pitch stability"...atleast from my reconning, don´t know what machines he was used to.

I wonder if russian aviators would comment on US jets that they feel "boring" or something because they can fly them "hands off"...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

GCI: "Control to SEAD: Enemy SAM site 190 for 30, cleared to engage"

Striker: "Copy, say Altitude?"

GCI: "....Deck....it´s a SAM site..."

Striker: "Oh...."

Fighter: "Yeah, those pesky russian build, baloon based SAMs."

-Red-Lyfe

Best way to troll DCS community, make an F-16A, see how dedicated the fans really are :thumbup:

The high roll inertia

Excuse me, but all these other people's posts are too colored with emotions to understand clearly what are they talking about, at least this early in the morning. So, is this the subject: Inertia Coupling and Inertia Coupling 2 ?

Edited by Pitot

Don't ask, here's the answer: 95% of my posts are edited because I have OCD.

I wonder if russian aviators would comment on US jets that they feel "boring" or something because they can fly them "hands off"...

From what i have been reading and from docs they never say the word "boring". They say it's responsive. Does what i tell it to do and more easy to keep in check so they can concentrate on fighting more. Luckily real Russian pilots are not so biased and use words like "boring". Like American pilots they just tell you how it is and how they experience it.

• Like 1

Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer.

...as the FBW does not do that for you...

Actually, it is what puts it there in the first place. The designers put the trimming law into the FBW system to make it fly like a positively stable aircraft AFAIK.

"Long life It is a waste not to notice that it is not noticed that it is milk in the title." Amazon.co.jp review for milk translated from Japanese

"Amidst the blue skies, A link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector..." - ACE COMBAT 4

"Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight"-Psalm 144:1 KJV

i5-4430 at 3.00GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX 1060 FE, Windows 7 x64

Hmm I'm quite curious about today's patch (did not download beta). I like the SU-27 flight model as it is more fun to fly.

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

Excuse me, but all these other people's posts are too colored with emotions to understand clearly what are they talking about, at least this early in the morning. So, is this the subject: Inertia Coupling and Inertia Coupling 2 ?

Interesting, but that's not the issue with the Su-27. The problem, if it is a problem, is that the roll inertia is high, i.e. during a roll when you move the control column to the neutral position it takes an unusually long time for the roll to actually stop. The cause I would imagine is the maximum force developed by the control surface actuators vs. the high angular momentum of a rolling aircraft caused by the widely separated engines and heavy wings (full of quite a lot of fuel).

Anyway, if the real plane behavior is like the one simulated, it's ok for me, I will learn to fly the monster again and will kick the F-15 butts with the new FM! :)

Agree. She tends to lose a bit more speed now in tight turns, but at corner speed the turn radius and turn rate are phenomenal. Coupled with the HMS and R-73... :joystick:

You have no problem with the trimming in the SU-27 beta? mine is impossible to fly

I'm not using the beta so I can't comment on that.

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

No issues with trimming here. Take a look at your settings to see whether the FFB option is checked.. this could be the cause.

I posted the problem, is a bug, the aircraft is always trimming, try to clear the trim with CTRL-T and you will notice that the trim lights keep OFF and should be ON.

I have everything OFF, FF, HOTAS at startup, Trim Force 0%, Shake 0%