Leatherneck Simulations Mini-Update - SEPTEMBER 2015

Cobra847

Awesome little update, great news with all the progress and the ambitious theatre projects too! Awesome support for the Mig-21. Looking forward to Sopwith Camel announcement later this month.

Edited by Zomba

I don't test for bugs, but when I do I do it in production.

Yak-38 > Harrier

The Yak-38 is revolutionary in that there hasn't been a fighter in the history of combat aviation that has found so many creative ways to crater.

The F-104 (in it's downward ejection seat variants) was a nice crater maker as well. Problems at take off? Roll the aircraft 180 degrees to eject! :joystick: :huh: Think the Germans lost quite a few craft and pilots before they sourced upward firing ejection seats.

The F-104 (in it's downward ejection seat variants) was a nice crater maker as well. Problems at take off? Roll the aircraft 180 degrees to eject! :joystick: :huh: Think the Germans lost quite a few craft and pilots before they sourced upward firing ejection seats.

But you see, Tovarish.. Yak-38 actually most clever fighter ever developed.

HERE IS DEMONSTRATION

tumblr_inline_noml3wtGB61rlhtha_500.gif

NOTICE HOW YAK-38 TURNS TOWARD ENEMY. ENEMY IS CLEARLY DANGEROUS ONE, PERHAPS IT IS EUROPEAN SWALLOW. EUROPEAN SWALLOW CARRYING COPY OF ATLAS SHRUGGED.

DANGEROUS ENEMY.

YAK-38 EJECTS PILOT TO SAFETY BEFORE DOING BACK FLIP IN ORDER TO CONFUSE CAPITALIST BIRD. IT DISAPPEARS INTO GIANT FIREBALL.

ASK YOURSELF: WOULD YOU FOLLOW INTO FIRE BALL? NO. FIREBALL IS BALL OF FIRE. WILL GET BURNED.

THUS YAK-38 IS VICTORIOUS. AYN RAND LOVING SWALLOW IS DEFEAT. PILOT HERO OF PROLETARIAT GOES HOME TO VICTORY PARADE AND POTATO HARVEST.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Indeed, we lost a lot of pilots with this bird (it's nicknamed "widowmaker" in germany), but all of them with an upward ejection seat, since the downward variant has been ruled out for the Luftwaffe during the procurement process. The reason behind this decision was, that low level flying was VERY important in cold war germany and you don't want to eject though the floor while flying NOE ;)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I don't think the Harrier is very likely. The USMC version with a radar is the AV-8B+. It has a very similar cockpit layout and avionics suite as the F/A-18A, ergo it is a very complex multirole aircraft. I do not think this is feasible for LNS currently, considering the length of development of ED's own F/A-18C.

There would still be the Royal Navy's Sea Harrier FRS.1 and FA.2 with a radar, but so far no hint has remotely pointed in this direction.

I don't think the Harrier is very likely. The USMC version with a radar is the AV-8B+. It has a very similar cockpit layout and avionics suite as the F/A-18A, ergo it is a very complex multirole aircraft. I do not think this is feasible for LNS currently, considering the length of development of ED's own F/A-18C.

There would still be the Royal Navy's Sea Harrier FRS.1 and FA.2 with a radar, but so far no hint has remotely pointed in this direction.

There's a lot of Harriers. It's been a fairly prolific fighter and there's a lot to choose from.

Both aircraft we've gotten are from the '70s. The MiG-21bis first reached line units around '77, if memory serves, and the first F-14A's reached squadrons in '74.

The AV-8A reached the first Marine Squadrons in 1978, placing it well within that time frame.

And, that's assuming it would be a US service Harrier. British Harriers have a decade on their American counterparts.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

There's a lot of Harriers. It's been a fairly prolific fighter and there's a lot to choose from.

Both aircraft we've gotten are from the '70s. The MiG-21bis first reached line units around '77, if memory serves, and the first F-14A's reached squadrons in '74.

The AV-8A reached the first Marine Squadrons in 1978, placing it well within that time frame.

And, that's assuming it would be a US service Harrier. British Harriers have a decade on their American counterparts.

Sure, but LNS is developing ground mapping and targeting radar and complex missiles with advanced targeting parameters. Since most Harriers have neither, that rules out most variants except AV-8B+ and Sea Harrier FRS.1 (with the Sea Eagle ASM modification).

As far as I'm concerned, Viggen or bust :P.

RAZBAM and VEAO each have some Harriers on their to-do list anyway. And hints so far does not really suggest Harrier in my opinion, including propulsion comment. Only probable link to Harrier would be ancient video of VTOL test with MiG-21 model in Novak's channel but I think they have commented on that back then stating it is just a study and not indicative of a Harrier. As for the Yak-38, well I may be the most forthcoming advocate of obscure aircraft in this forum, yet, even I wouldn't get it, not unless way down in bargain bin anyway :D. I don't think they'd do it.

I still think it is Corsair and Viggen, and frankly I hope it is since for me they are both very interesting and desirable aircraft. Especially the Viggen is a unique opportunity, never represented in a simulation (well it was in some Falcon versions, but it features F-16 avionics there).

First version features some of the earliest use of a mission computer in a fighter aircraft and if there ever was such a classification, it could have been rated as an 3.5 generation jet fighter :P. Depending on what version(s) we get, it may be relevant to different time frames, latest variants were retired mid 2000s so they'd be useful even in fairly modern scenarios.

As for the AJ vs JA, if hints are really pointing to a Viggen I think it will be a ground attack variant since air to ground radar was mentioned. My hope is that, two variants can be offered but they are seemingly very different so who knows... In any case, if it's one variant only, I think air-ground is better choice, since it is quasi-multirole, can engange some air targets in a pinch, and many people are more interested in ground pounding than air combat (most of my friends are for example).

Anyway, I think we'll find out hopefully in two months... =P

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Sure, but LNS is developing ground mapping and targeting radar and complex missiles with advanced targeting parameters. Since most Harriers have neither, that rules out most variants except AV-8B+ and Sea Harrier FRS.1 (with the Sea Eagle ASM modification).

And the FRS.1 is in that time frame. :thumbup:

I actually can't find reference of the FRS.1 even carrying ground mapping radar. I can find plenty on the FA.2, but not FRS.1.

I actually can't find reference of the FRS.1 even carrying ground mapping radar. I can find plenty on the FA.2, but not FRS.1.

I have only anectotal evidence. Sharkey Ward writes in his book how during the Falklands war his No.801 Sqd used the Sea Harrier's radar in surface searches for the Argentinean fleet. The sister squadron No.800 on HMS Hermes on the other hand did not use the radar and made visual searches only, much to Ward's displeasure. There was apparently a great deal of disagreement and fighting between both squadrons about the true capability and usefulness of the Blue Fox radar in air-sea mode.

Thanks for the update, its enough to keep us happy!

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

I have only anectotal evidence. Sharkey Ward writes in his book how during the Falklands war his No.801 Sqd used the Sea Harrier's radar in surface searches for the Argentinean fleet. The sister squadron No.800 on HMS Hermes on the other hand did not use the radar and made visual searches only, much to Ward's displeasure. There was apparently a great deal of disagreement and fighting between both squadrons about the true capability and usefulness of the Blue Fox radar in air-sea mode.

It's pretty difficult to find in formation on any other Harrier that isn't a GR.9/A/V-8B+, at least via google search.

Books will always be better for that.

is it possible it could be a Tornado IDS GR1/4? The complex missiles could be Brimstone or Sea Eagle? The forest terrain could be Europe/Germany?

Other complex systems could include the Terrain following Radar?

I would love a Tornado.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Indeed, we lost a lot of pilots with this bird (it's nicknamed "widowmaker" in germany), but all of them with an upward ejection seat, since the downward variant has been ruled out for the Luftwaffe during the procurement process. The reason behind this decision was, that low level flying was VERY important in cold war germany and you don't want to eject though the floor while flying NOE ;)

Very true! The West Germans flew the 104G I think which was equipped by default with upward firing ejection seats - or at the very least they had the sense to switch to upward firing seats prior to purchase and had a variant made for them.

It's interesting that they chose a 104 to do low level stuff in, sure it's fast and has a very slim visual profile but aerodynamically you just look at those stubby wings and think "Crap! can it fly?!"

Especially the Viggen is a unique opportunity, never represented in a simulation (well it was in some Falcon versions, but it features F-16 avionics there).

Might be stretching the "simulator" term a bit, but as a Swede this airplane was the only reason for choosing Fighter Bomber before other flightsims on the Amiga back in the days :)

Very true! The West Germans flew the 104G I think which was equipped by default with upward firing ejection seats - or at the very least they had the sense to switch to upward firing seats prior to purchase and had a variant made for them.

It's interesting that they chose a 104 to do low level stuff in, sure it's fast and has a very slim visual profile but aerodynamically you just look at those stubby wings and think "Crap! can it fly?!"

It wasn't really chosen to do low level stuff, it was rather chosen to intercept russian aircraft (especially bombers) but it was also used as a fighter-bomber then, which it wasn't made for.

But the procurement of the F-104 is indeed a huge scandal and political affair in german cold war history. The german Ministre of Defense made this decision on it's own against advises from experts. He was suspected of beeing bribed by Lockhead Martin.

See here for further reference:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_bribery_scandals#West_Germany

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starfighter-Aff%C3%A4re (german only)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Our goal with theaters is to not only build a great environment to immerse the player in the game world, but to also try and provide an appropriate framework for the aircraft we create.

To achieve this framework, we have to spend a lot of time creating AI Aircraft, Ground and Naval units, all of which represent a huge investment of time and effort.

Good ! This is why I would focuse on the 80s fleet with the Tomcat . Not the Tico class CG or Arleigh Burke DDG, but the Belknap CG, Spruance DDG, OHP FFG7 or the Virginia class CGN if you want concerning scorts for a conventional powered CV . A nice feature would be ressuply at sea capability, implementing some kind of AOR .

Might be stretching the "simulator" term a bit, but as a Swede this airplane was the only reason for choosing Fighter Bomber before other flightsims on the Amiga back in the days :)

Ha! I've only seen Commodore 64 version of it (and then again, on an emulator and not an actual C64) and didn't remember it had one! :) But hey, I can still say not featured in any modern simulation ever :D. I remember saying "wow... 3D models of aircraft on C64!!" :).

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Complex missiles with Advanced Targeting Parameters

would this not point towards a very modern combat aircraft, possibly with the inclusion of a missile such as the Aim-9X, and helmet mounted targeting equipment?

But having said this I would previously have thought this not to be the time period of aircraft LN would approach. Our speculating will be long and complex.

This does not really require it to be an extremly advanced weapon (Although the RBS-15 that could be used on the late Viggen (AJS-37)

was a very advanced weapon for its time.

But i think its more in terms allowing for advanced/complex targeting solutions with the missile in quesion.