Lockon Gold (FC) Vista ultimate 32b install issue.

Hello all,

I am having a lot of trouble in installing Lock on Gold (Euro version) to Windows Vista 32bit Ultimate. (Yes I know its crap but dont have choice right now) In last phase of installation process of Lock on, I get error message "could not register msxms.dll. Use prohibited" (error message translated here , using finnish version of Vista). I have latest drivers, patches, and hard disks are checked with diagnostics tool and are error free.

I am running the install in XP2 compatibility mode, with sysadmin rights, and I still get the message. When I try to install it to older machine of a friend which has XP, no error messages none so ever so CD should be ok.

Any ideas or workarounds for this?

Many thanks in advance

Sys specs:

Geforce 8800GTX

Asus p5b deluxe

4GB ddr2 ram

WD Raptor 150GB HDD

E6600 Core 2 Duo

Soundblaster Xtremegamer soundcard

-Fantasmagoria

Not sure, but make sure that the msxml.dll is present in the system32 directory, then go to 'run' and enter 'regsvr32 msxml.dll'

Even if it fails, it should produce a different error message that will give more clues as to what's going on.

Lt. Commander Block: Every aerial photo and recon report indicate a defensive arsenal in the D, and perhaps negative C, categories. There's also some anti-aircraft squadrons.

Admiral Benson: I don't have a clue what you're talkin' about, Phil. Not a clue. I have a shell the size of a fist in my head. Pork Chop Hill. The only way I can make this toupee to stay on is by magnetizing the entire upper left quadrant of my skull, so you just go ahead and do what you do.

Thanks for replies so far folks,

Yes, the program installed but when I tried to run it, I got different error message "Program has caused runtime error etc...." and locks up. This applies to running vanilla lock on, lock on flaming cliffs, and patched up versions. (tried them all). I have also tried running program in compatibility mode with admin rights.

-fantasmagoria

Are you running both the autorun command AND the installer package as administrator? Also you shouldnt have to run it in compatibility mode for Windows Xp Sp2.

And Ill have to digress from your opinion that Vista is crap...its better than XP in alot of ways, weak in drivers now, but that will soon change.

I finally got it working in most odd way. I have to start the application from CD's autorun feature. If I use the shortcut from game directory it wont work, but the CD autoruns "start" works. I dont get it how it is possible as the both shortcuts have exactly same properties though.

In any case thanks to replies folks, much appreciated!