New Rockets

Warbird_242

Although there have been some topics similar to this subject in the past few days, am I alone in thinking that mabye the new Blast frag. rockets have actually decreased their effectiveness against infantry. I set up about 10 insurgents about 20m apart in total, fire a load of rockets, and the only kill i get is one that actually hits a guy. Is this me or the weapons, or is it realistic?

We are not talking about bombs here. Those rockets have limited lethal ranges for both, fragmentation and blastwave. So, while those effects may "hit" soldiers in the area in a technical sense, damage done might just be a ringing ear, burns or concussions, smaller cuts and shrapnel wounds.

But it's not like a soldier being "hit" means that he has a 5kg glowing piece of metal sticking in his head. ;)

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

Although there have been some topics similar to this subject in the past few days, am I alone in thinking that mabye the new Blast frag. rockets have actually decreased their effectiveness against infantry. I set up about 10 insurgents about 20m apart in total, fire a load of rockets, and the only kill i get is one that actually hits a guy. Is this me or the weapons, or is it realistic?

I brought this up at least 1 time before, the Bomblets in real life are like cluster bombs, they should pretty much turn everything living and non living into hamburger within a few hundred feet radius..

in BS, you are lucky to make a few soldiers say ouch..

I was expecting the new Frag rockets to do the same, I have not yet tested them yet though..

Edited by Ramstein

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

• ED Team

I think we need to consider probability tables of death and injury on infantry under air attack.

We have a number of situations:

1) Infantry walking in open order, and do not hear any danger of attack, and remain standing.

2) Infantry hear danger (sound of aircraft/helo) and will immediately go to ground/cover etc.

As the infantry in DCS currently have simple AI, they are shown as walking in open order. Though in practice, if they hear danger, they would have gone to ground and death/injury probability is significantly reduced.

So it is an exercise in probablity on reaction of the troops, which is not currently modelled.

I am sure you all have heard reports from Iraq/Afghanistan. Attacks launched from a high height, where the target can not hear the aircraft/UAV, will result in the target not taking cover. However if the targets hear an Apache or A-10 coming in at low level, then the sensible thing is to take cover, reducing probability of death/injury.

So I consider the correct effectiveness of low level air attacks on infantry is reasonably close.

Edited by JimMack
spelling

Having problems? Visit http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Main_Page

Dell Laptop M1730 -Vista- Intel Core 2 Duo T7500@2.2GHz, 4GB, Nvidia 8700MGT 767MB

Intel i7 975 Extreme 3.2GHZ CPU, NVidia GTX 570 1.28Gb Pcie Graphics.

DCS:BS case:

Infantry = cannon.

All other things = ATGM, rockets and cannon.

The russian and american rockets proved in all major modern conflicts to be weak against spread infantry. Maybe the damage model isn't realistic or precise, but the outcome of rockets attacks against infantry are.

Feurfalke - I know that haha. What I meant was that the 'frag' effect would probably terminally injure someone at the ranges I was hitting the people ( about 5m away).

GGTharos - see above :), What i was getting at, though, was that I couldn't see any difference between the standard S-80 rockets and the new frag ones.

Ramstein - I was thinking the same thing...

JimMack - That's a clever solution actually! I will now think differently and imagine the troops diving for cover etc :D

LoBISoMem - I can't speak for Russian rockets, but US and UK rockets are extremely effective aganst infantry in Afghanistan. Admittedly the Taliban will not have body armour etc, but Kevlar isn't going to protect you from hundreds of bits ( not 5kg :D) of metal.

Thanks for your replies everyone, but I wanted to clarify that there is actually a differnce in effect?

well,, eeek.... I was just setting up some enemy soldiers on a map to test the new frag rockets..

I had to make direct hits to hurt/kill them..

?? :cry:

might as well jump out and kiss them while taping the frag to their ass...

... the frag rocket looks like tactical nuke going off, but will not scratch the paint unless it's a direct hit..

sad, same thing with the bomblettes.. common Black Shark guys... please make these weapons hurt/kill objects without needing direct hits..

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR