DCS P-51D QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

Anyone have a rough estimate of fuel percentage and corresponding flight time? I know it won't be exact but a general idea would be great.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I7 4790K / EVGA 1080ti SC / 32GB DDR3 / 1TB SSD / Oculus Rift S / X-56 / MFG Crosswind V2 / ButtKicker + Simshaker for Aviators

• 1 month later...

Safe Engine settings

I have been experimenting with rpm settings to get the most out of the engine, but it seem to seize on me after a while flying.

I have radiators set to manual full open, manifold pressure high but not red lining. in this case my coolant temp went red.

In combat on the gunnery training mission I can never keep up with my target, it gradually pulls away from me, and I'm figuring this is because my engine settings are wrong and I'm not getting the best out of it.

So what is the lowest safe rpm setting. I cannot stay in the green zone without the engine seizing, if I leave it high no problems but I'm guessing not enough speed either.

If my coolant gauge is redlining what steps can I take to bring it back to normal

I have been experimenting with rpm settings to get the most out of the engine, but it seem to seize on me after a while flying.

I have radiators set to manual full open, manifold pressure high but not red lining. in this case my coolant temp went red.

In combat on the gunnery training mission I can never keep up with my target, it gradually pulls away from me, and I'm figuring this is because my engine settings are wrong and I'm not getting the best out of it.

So what is the lowest safe rpm setting. I cannot stay in the green zone without the engine seizing, if I leave it high no problems but I'm guessing not enough speed either.

If my coolant gauge is redlining what steps can I take to bring it back to normal

60 MP, 3000 RPM, rads on auto. As long as you maintain a speed above 250 MPH, your engine shouldn't overheat. Of course, this is difficult to do when you're climbing a lot but the key is to try to maintain a good airspeed and not linger at low airspeeds for too long. Takes practice for sure.

I run my engine with oil rad open for a 15 count. Keeps it cool. I can run hard in a fight and not lose the engine. Still gets hot, but not as quickly, and it cools better when I dive.

Dogs of War Squadron

Call sign "HeadHunter" P-51D /Spitfire Jockey

Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR /Q9650 3.6Ghz | 16GB DDR3 1600 RipJaws | EVGA GTX-1060 ACX3 FTW | ThrustMaster 16000m & G13 GamePad w/analog rudder stick | TurtleBeach EarForce PX22 | Track IR5 | Vizio 40" 4K TV monitor (stuck temporarily with an Acer 22" :( )

No full power, open radiator (or auto) and avoid vertical maneuvers and stalling. About 3 mins after flying "friendly" you should be in the green area again.

Keep your airspeed up, or the airflow won't suffice in keeping things cool. Plus rads either on auto or fully open depending on how the temps behave, + adhere to the operational limits at all times of course. That's pretty much all there is to it really :)

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

• 1 month later...

There might be something wrong with the engine model... the things we need to do just to avoid it to sieze make it almost impossible to dogfight against any of its rivals... hope that ED give this aircraft some love...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Your eyes only see what your mind is ready to comprehend"

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Intel I7-6700K - 16GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz HyperX Savage - Strix GTX 960 DC II 2GB OC Edition - Seagate 1TB

There might be something wrong with the engine model... the things we need to do just to avoid it to sieze make it almost impossible to dogfight against any of its rivals... hope that ED give this aircraft some love...

Ola Neves,

well, I guess I learned how to deal with the two ( oil and water ) radiators, and manage speed in order to avoid engine overheat situations.

I can easily go through my missions against 190s and 109s without any problems, other than those resulting from being hit, which 99% of the time results in the prop pitch being jammed ....

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

The model's nothing wrong. In a dogfight where you'll speed up and down many times you should open manually your radiators. Anyway, don't expect pulling full throttle for half an hour flying at 120mph without consequences, this isn't an arcade any more mate. You'll learn.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

I haven't flown Mustang for at least half year now, probably closer to a year, but when I was flying it I would only very, very rarely had engine seizures. Whether it's "just flying", attacking ground targets, or dogfighting. In fact, since you need to keep Mustang as fast as you can in dogfight, arguably it is easier to keep engine cool there than it is in air to ground.

As long as you keep the aircraft decently fast to keep cooling air flowing through the radiator, you can even go crazy with throttle / rpm for quite long periods.

Yes engine requires more babysitting but that's just the way it is, and part of the fun for me :).

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

The Mustang normally used in close combat management on auto radiators.

Normally you will enter combat continuous maximum (2700 / 46``)

and you can get on the throttle until the pressure and 50 briefly return to maximum continuous parameters.

In combat, in my case, I do not touch the lever management propeller and keep in 2700

What you should never do is put some parameters emergency war (67`` / 3000) and "play" with the accelerator (accelerating, decelerating).

You should have a good speed during combat, to have well-cooled engine speed and if you lose, do not try climbing until you have the right .... etc etc .....

I know that the merlin demands alot more management than german planes that used MW50... I also know that the Mustang is a high altitude fighter, used at 30000 ft, where there can be temperatures as low as -30ºC.... But the main problem is that i can't find a way of managing the engine without being incredibly slow, because i feel that the Merlin is much slower that the fw190 and the bf109.

Maybe the problem is that I didn't find the right way of managing the engine...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Your eyes only see what your mind is ready to comprehend"

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Intel I7-6700K - 16GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz HyperX Savage - Strix GTX 960 DC II 2GB OC Edition - Seagate 1TB

• 4 months later...

P-51D Korea weapons

Maybe there was this question already. Will there be a new weapons for P-51D from the time of Korea war? I mean napalm and Tiny Tim rokets.

p1208tr34qmh.jpg

p2w8fly1pqx4.jpg

-------------------------------------------------

Лучшее-враг хорошего

das Bessere ist der Feind vom Guten

Guys, please help me. I don't know how to restart a game when i'm in the middle of a game, for example ( fast mission editor ) without pressing 'escape- fly again'

I tried with ' get new plane - respawn' but that's working only if the plane is crashed / destroyed.

Thanks

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

Guys, please help me. I don't know how to restart a game when i'm in the middle of a game, for example ( fast mission editor ) without pressing 'escape- fly again'

I tried with ' get new plane - respawn' but that's working only if the plane is crashed / destroyed.

Thanks

Shift+R makes the mission restart, but it bugs out sometimes... your call :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

• 4 weeks later...
What is this in the Cockpit and what is it meant for, in the left top corner, also when it lights up a bell commes on:huh:

The AN/APS-13 rear warning radar is a lightweight radar set that provides a cockpit warning when an aircraft is approaching from the rear.

When flying at low altitudes, the warning radar may sound an alarm due to signal reflections from the ground.

:huh: And I thought it was the ice cream truck alarm, so every time I hear it I bail out to go get some ..... :smilewink:

It works a bit oddly, in that it appears to not really turn on while still under 3000' on your initial climb, and generally still takes a bit of time above 3000' before becoming active, at least as far as the RWR-Test switch is concerned. So I think there must be something in the circuitry preventing it from going active until the aircraft is high enough to not give a false-positive.

Once active, while just above 3000' pointing the tail toward the ground, by pulling the nose up will often cause the alarm to sound. Also, while not far above 3000', if you point your tail toward the radar at an airfield it will often sound.

Now that you know that, don't leave home without it :)

Now, I've gotta get me some of that yummy ice cream :D

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

It works a bit oddly, in that it appears to not really turn on while still under 3000' on your initial climb, and generally still takes a bit of time above 3000' before becoming active, at least as far as the RWR-Test switch is concerned. So I think there must be something in the circuitry preventing it from going active until the aircraft is high enough to not give a false-positive.

It needs some time (minutes) to warm up. Just turn it on, stay on the ground and you will hear the alarm soon.

LOL I forgot that radios used to have tubes that had to warm up first :P

I hope nobody asks my why they call it 'dialing' a telephone number :D

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

• 1 month later...

Just hopped into the Mustang after the latest patch, dogfight vs. Dora.

Just to test its limits I punched the throttle and rpm lever all the way up, to see how long the engine goes. To my surprise it never blew. I mostly kept above 100kt at the peak of energy fighting, cooling slightly as I came back down. But temp needle was beyond red constantly, after 5 minutes of dogfighting. I expected the engine to lock up or something, but it kept going.

Is this a bug?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk