Linux/SteamOS version?

ocf81

Windows 10 is a complete dud in terms of software freedom, and I'm having none of it. I'll stick with 8.1 for now, but I'm looking/waiting for a decent CFS on Linux so I can ditch windows.

I would love to be able to make the jump to linux with the possibility of playing DCS.

I know that the current version of DCS is DX based.

Can DCS3 (since DCS2 is already in beta) be made in OpenGL Next and have a linux port?

• Like 1

Do you play DCS on linux? Consider joining the DCS on Linux Matrix space!

Windows 10 is a complete dud in terms of software freedom, and I'm having none of it. I'll stick with 8.1 for now, but I'm looking/waiting for a decent CFS on Linux so I can ditch windows.

I would love to be able to make the jump to linux with the possibility of playing DCS.

Can DCS3 (since DCS2 is already in beta) be made in OpenGL Next and have a linux port?

Linux port to reach the 0,03% of marketshare?

• Like 1

I'm flying since 1988 (Flight Simulator 3.0) :pilotfly:

Linux port to reach the 0,03% of marketshare?

An OpenGL port would also run on Macs. Also, the percentage of users on linux might change with Steam OS. I'm asking now so that the answer won't be: "Too late for DCS3, we're already locked down"

BTW, WT is already running on linux/SteamOS. As are CIV 5+, EU IV and many other games I play. It's just DCS and Arma which I still need windows for.

Edited by ocf81

Do you play DCS on linux? Consider joining the DCS on Linux Matrix space!

My work OS is Ubuntu, from "office-e-mail" to various database management and process modelling. Window$ will never get that far in usability capability of the opensource software development model.

DCS is a commercial software and framework, mainly for profit of the involved actors, from ED to third parties developing add-ons. Besides that, I doubt the number of Linux users within the DCS community will be that big.

Let's wait to see the improvement in DCS v2.0 with DX11 use.

104th Cobra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Vulkan would be the selection in these days. Open GL is not going to be developed anymore. Vulkan is combination of OpenCL and OpenGL.

HEY! EVERYONE SCATTER! HES FLYING AGAIN!:pilotfly:

Vulkan would be the selection in these days. Open GL is not going to be developed anymore. Vulkan is combination of OpenCL and OpenGL.

This is not what Vulkan is at all. Search for relevant articles on phoronix to learn the basics.

That said one has to acknowledge that Dx12 has aimed exactly at what Mantle and Vulcan did, that is low performance hit from the actual high number of layers between the engine and the hardware. Vulkan is more than this though.

In any case it all boils down to - ED is not going to be on the forefront of advancing with new unestablished APIs or to get into small markets due to the size/budget of ED or purely the low viability of significant returns from such endeavours.

Has anyone gotten Track IR to work on Linux? I think I saw a source tarball somewhere once, but never tried it. Not the most user friendly of scenariod.

I'm not saying Linux is impossible, it's not, but support for all the oddball simming hardware is a big consideration.

I'd love the choice, but really forget the graphics side, I'd be happy with a Linux dedicated server.

The server list would probably explode in size if any ole' aws host or mediocre home system could run a server without dying on the graphics...

Has anyone gotten Track IR to work on Linux? I think I saw a source tarball somewhere once, but never tried it. Not the most user friendly of scenariod.

I'm not saying Linux is impossible, it's not, but support for all the oddball simming hardware is a big consideration.

I'd love the choice, but really forget the graphics side, I'd be happy with a Linux dedicated server.

The server list would probably explode in size if any ole' aws host or mediocre home system could run a server without dying on the graphics...

linux-track is awesome:

https://github.com/uglyDwarf/linuxtrack

I've tested it with flightgear on Linux with my ps3 eye and IR clip. I really like the test mode, it puts you in a simplified virtual cockpit so you can adjust curves and things like that and see how it would actually function in game.

As far as bringing DCS client to Linux, it would probably need a DX11/DX12 Gallium3D interface. Even then, I doubt there would be significant motivation from ED. But at least with a Gallium3D DX11/DX12 interface, it would be more likely to be able to run under wine. This would of course also require support for wine for Gallium3D/DX11 and Gallium3D support for NVIDIA hardware.

On the Steam hardware survey, the number using Linux is .89%

Mac is 3%

Doesn't sound like it would be practical for a game to spend money going anywhere but Windows.

Although X-Plane 10 will run on W, Mac and Linux.

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

It will never run under wine as long as there is starforce. Back in the A-10C 1.1.1.1 days it would get as far as clicking fly when it would call out to protect.dll. In DCS:W it dies immediately. You can't even navigate the menus.

Wonder if it would still let you fly free modules. DRM is always a bummer though.

IMHO you can basically forget about it, unless something major changes.

An OpenGL port would also run on Macs. Also, the percentage of users on linux might change with Steam OS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda