DCS: A-10C Warthog

Namenlos Ein

Given the setting of the initial LockOn, I'd say Europe would be a very fitting setting for a new campaign. I guess once the official mapping-tools have been released by ED, more areas will become available. :smilewink:

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are very harsh and disrespectful words from my former countryman. I will just say that I do not approve use of weapons that can indiscriminately harm people and environment.

LOL, whatever. I see nothing harsh and disrespectful in my comment, so please don't take it down to a personal level.

As I had a chance to experience myself thanks to some of my former countrymen, e.g. artillery is also very indiscrementing towards harming people if used so in that way. Should it be removed from DCS as well? ;)

So, I can play that game, too, but there's no point in doing so.

Sorry for being off-topic. I'm just not mentally strong enough to withstand public name-calling if I feel that it's coming down my way undeservedly so.

Back to the topic at hand, my ideal scenario would be the Cold War in the 80s, but if I think about it, that kind of conflict would be very brutal and missions themselves actually kind of boring (something like Il-2 generated campaigns). Plus the projected life expectancy which is probably not much higher than of the average WWI 20-minuters :)

Some local conflicts of limited nature are the best suited for this simulation, like the supplied campaigns, but the area is so close to Russia that it's hard to keep it a local conflict and make it very believable. Unfortunatelly, the world is not in the lack of similar hotspots so I hope there will be more maps coming in the future.

Edited by Dudikoff
  • Like 1

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

LOL, whatever. I see nothing harsh and disrespectful in my comment, so please don't take it down to a personal level.

As I had a chance to experience myself thanks to my former countrymen, e.g. artillery is also very indiscrementing towards harming people if used so in that way. Should it be removed from DCS as well? ;)

Sorry for being off-topic. I'm just not mentally strong enough to withstand public name-calling if I feel that it's coming down my way undeservedly so.

Back to the topic at hand, my ideal scenario would be the Cold War in the 80s, but if I think about it, that kind of conflict would be very brutal and missions themselves actually kind of boring (something like Il-2 generated campaigns). Plus the projected life expectancy which is probably not much higher than of the average WWI 20-minuters :)

Some local conflicts of limited nature are the best suited for this simulation, like the supplied campaigns, but the area is so close to Russia that it's hard to keep it a local conflict and make it very believable. Unfortunatelly, the world is not in the lack of similar hotspots so I hope there will be more maps coming in the future.

This type of discussion is ridiculous. This IS A SIMULATION.

I enjoy certain aspects of battle, especially those that are afforded to me in a virtual (computer) environment. Therefore the discussion of whats relevant outside the computer world is irrelevant. Lets leave it at that.

Edited by Fudd
The code is probaly in Russian anyway.

Guys, please get back on topic and stop the debate about the morality of weapon system x or y. After all this is a wargame, and I am sure we all can draw a clear line between killing bits and bytes in an entertainment computer game and hurting/killing actual people in reality. And if you don't like the simulation of DU ammunition or cluster bombs or whatever, then simply don't use them ingame.

Thanks. :)

• Like 1

Guys, please get back on topic and stop the debate about the morality of weapon system x or y. After all this is a wargame, and I am sure we all can draw a clear line between killing bits and bytes in an entertainment computer game and hurting/killing actual people in reality. And if you don't like the simulation of DU ammunition or cluster bombs or whatever, then simply don't use them ingame.

Thanks. :)

Ok, sorry, it got a bit out of hand for no good reason (especially as I agree on the point that DU ammunition should be banned in reality). I just thought I saw a discrepancy between the other poster's conformistic view on the war itself and overly idealistic view on the use of DU ammunition in a computer simulation, but I failed to express my comment more clearly, it seems, because it was taken personally.

BTW, I thought the A-10 has only DU armor-piercing ammunition. Now, if I'm not mistaken, then ED won't model the conventional AP rounds as they don't exist. And not using the cannon for tank busting kind of takes half the fun of it, doesn't it? :)

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

The A-10 uses DU (API ammo) and HEI ammo. Usually they are used in a mix, so I think you have 1 DU round for every 4-5 HEI rounds.

I don't know if they ever used an all-DU load. Either way it looks like it's far less dangerous to the environment than people think - and that thus far apparently firmly confirmed by actual science ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

The A-10 uses DU (API ammo) and HEI ammo. Usually they are used in a mix, so I think you have 1 DU round for every 4-5 HEI rounds.

I don't know if they ever used an all-DU load. Either way it looks like it's far less dangerous to the environment than people think - and that thus far apparently firmly confirmed by actual science ;)

and what, pray tell, does science know? lol just kidding

yea, its true, dont they call that a "party mix" according to the tutorials in lomac, meaning they put a mix of AP and HE rounds in a certain ratio?

See post #74:

"The aerosol produced during impact and combustion of depleted uranium munitions can potentially contaminate wide areas around the impact sites or can be inhaled by civilians and military personnel."

It is the after effects of DU. Unfortunately, the news channels are not interested in those stories, so wider audience is just not informed. There is a lots of bad things happening in areas where DU munition was used.

And my aversion is against the nuclear waste used as weapon. DU is nuclear waste. Normally, nuclear waste, even when it is not "harmful", is buried deep, deep under ground.

In case of DU shells, it is vaporized on impact and spread around the people and domestic animals.

I am not against wars. In wars people die and kill each other, which I accept as reality and necessity of the war. But I am against poisoning ground, people and animal for decades after the conflict.

Oh, I perfectly understand your aversion to it's use in real life situations. I'm just puzzled by your request it not be modeled in Black Shark. After all it is a sim, not real life and it's not like they are modeling the nuclear waste aspects of the weapon. Given the amount of destruction that is modeled it just seems strange that you pick this particular type of ammunition to be troubled about.

But hey, like you said, we each have our own limits. Me, when I play WWII games, usually hate playing on the side of the Germans so go figure.

P.S. funny how these threads get hijacked sometimes by these little side discussions. :0)

Edited by Coolhnd1

-- CoolHand

Yup, I think it's called 'Combat Mix' officially.

yea, its true, dont they call that a "party mix" according to the tutorials in lomac, meaning they put a mix of AP and HE rounds in a certain ratio?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

So for the A-10C, can we expect to see:

1) Wind Corrected Munitions Dispensors

2) LITENING targeting pod

3) Lockheed Martin Sniper XR Advanced Targeting Pod

for points 2 and 3, i assume we will be able to switch them, similarly to how we did for the pods on the SU-25T?

So for the A-10C, can we expect to see:

1) Wind Corrected Munitions Dispensors

2) LITENING targeting pod

3) Lockheed Martin Sniper XR Advanced Targeting Pod

for points 2 and 3, i assume we will be able to switch them, similarly to how we did for the pods on the SU-25T?

Looks like ED need help for No.1 anyway. http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=38066

Nate

About the size of your forearm eh?

Dusty Rhodes

Play HARD, Play FAIR, Play TO WIN

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit / Intel i7 4790 Devils Canyon, 4.0 GIG /ASUS Maximus VII Formula Motherboard/ ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB/ 32 Gigs of RAM / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / TrackIR 5 / 2 Cougar MFD's / Saitek Combat Pedals/ DSD Button Box FLT-1

So the minimum time for a new release is 9 months after the DCS: BS total release, right? So what's the minimum ETR on DCS: A-10C taking in consideration those factors? January 2010?

By the look of those screens regarding the MFD's the cockpit is already much advanced.

It's incredible how we just got BS and we are already talking about the new releases, but I guess that's how life is, when you get something really good after it you want a great good thing.

Regards.

@ Dursty Rhodes - If you are talking about 30 mm it's 11.41'' or 28,98 cm I think.

ASUS N552VX | i7-6700HQ @ 2.59GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GF GTX 950M 4 Gb | 250 Gb SSD | 1 Tb HD SATA II Backup | TIR4 | Microsoft S. FF 2+X52 Throttle+Saitek Pedals | Win 10 64 bits

Ah! Thanks for the correction :)

It's the other way around GG, 1 HEI and 4 DU afterwards. It depends on what site you look at or who you talk to. I had a friend that worked ammo for A-10's, and he got me a shell...it is huge compared to the 20mm shell, which I have also.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well if we want to be technically correct a shell is the projectile http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_(projectile)

What you have there are the case

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casing_(ammunition)

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

OMG that's an awesome pic. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I knew the GAU-8 shell's are big but holy sh*t there bigger than I thought. The amout of propellant that Shell holds is amazing no wonder it propells the DU/HE round at supersonic speeds, I bet the amount of kinetic energy each round must contain is mind boggling.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Why don't we put it on the Ka-50? :music_whistling:

omg... 'cause it's a russian chopper obviously !:unsure:

• Like 1

i9-9900K,Z390 Aorus Master, 32GB GSkill Trident F4-3600 DDR4, ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti, Oculus Rift S. Thrustmaster Warthog T&S, TPR Pedals.