DCS: A-10C Warthog

Namenlos Ein

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even depleted uranium is radioactive but in extremely small amounts...

To be exposed to radiation from uranium, you have to eat, drink, or breathe it, or get it on your skin. The aerosol produced during impact and combustion of depleted uranium munitions can potentially contaminate wide areas around the impact sites or can be inhaled by civilians and military personnel.

// Wiki

That is true, but the problem is not the minimal radioactivity alone, but the fact that the human body is not able to get rid of the substance and instead gathers the fine dust in cells and organs.

Being a cancerogene itself + the minimum radiation concentrated on vital places in the body is, what causes the threat.

Basically it's the same as with most other heavy metals, like lead for example. It's not radioactive, but has very much the same effect on the body and organs, because the body is not capable of dumping even the smalles ammounts.

• Like 1

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

Although the designers forgot to put a QWERTY keyboard in the plane, what is this an early 80's home micro with that alphabetical layout?!?! :)

Pilots are stupid... So most FMS keypads are laid out like that.

More intuitive than you think when it's in front of you.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Outside of the obvious added A-10 my biggest hope is proper Multi-core support. If we got such a good boost from the altered affinity programing in Vista imagine how much of boost we'd get from proper multi-core use and without the need to dual boot anymore.

Also I see some training weapons are going in, those CAT weapons are the ones that don't fire but just simulate it to save money right?

I could understand (to a degree) the aversion to real nuclear weapons but I'm a bit puzzled by your qualms about DU.

See post #74:

"The aerosol produced during impact and combustion of depleted uranium munitions can potentially contaminate wide areas around the impact sites or can be inhaled by civilians and military personnel."

It is the after effects of DU. Unfortunately, the news channels are not interested in those stories, so wider audience is just not informed. There is a lots of bad things happening in areas where DU munition was used.

And my aversion is against the nuclear waste used as weapon. DU is nuclear waste. Normally, nuclear waste, even when it is not "harmful", is buried deep, deep under ground.

In case of DU shells, it is vaporized on impact and spread around the people and domestic animals.

I am not against wars. In wars people die and kill each other, which I accept as reality and necessity of the war. But I am against poisoning ground, people and animal for decades after the conflict.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

A central European theater would be awesome playgrounds for the A-10 and AH-64. Either a historical 1980s Germany scenario, or if the time frame is no option, a fictional neo-cold war set in the new NATO members in eastern Europe. But I somehow doubt that we will see new terrain from ED with A-10 (that is not 3rd party). It does not make much sense to me to invest work in terrain for the current engine with a new engine in development.
I would love to see Balkan peninsula theater. Then we could come up with some really realistic scenarios.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

I handled DU rounds in the military. They dont cause cancer, or make you sterile...because it is DEPLETED uranium.
Polonium 210 is completely safe to handle. Until it is ingested ...

I wish you healthy and happy life. But be careful.

About DU ammo.

gau8akb4.th.jpg

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/pgu-14.htm

Uranium-238 becomes DU, which is 0.7 times as radioactive as natural uranium. Since DU has a half-life of 4.5 billion years, there is very little decay of those DU materials. When manufactured as 30mm rounds, each DU projectile contains approximately 4,650 grains [0.66 pounds (lbs)] of extruded DU, alloyed with 0.75 weight percent titanium. The projectile is encased in a 0.8 mm-thick aluminum shell as the final DU round.
The side effects of using DU ammunition still unclear. May be it acts like toxic chemical agent rather than radiation agent. But I don't understand such negative attitude against modeling this ammo in the simulator. It is just the game, no one was harmed till now even with cluster or incendiary bombs.
Edited by Namenlos Ein

All that matters is that DU devestates the enemy...Thats all the military should be concerned with.

Core i7-930 (2.8 OC to 3.85), ASUS Rampage II Extreme, XFX Radeon 5870, 6 Gigs MUSHKIN DDR3-1600 6-8-6-24, 128 GB Crucial C300 SSD, 500 GB Western 5400rpm Digital Green Drive,ASUS SATA 3 6gbps card.

I am not against wars. In wars people die and kill each other, which I accept as reality and necessity of the war. But I am against poisoning ground, people and animal for decades after the conflict.

I see an oxymoron in this statement. OK, let's kill each other but with certain rules. There are no rules in wars. You are either against the war or for it with all the consequences wars bring. Believing in a war with certain rules is just being naive.

Besides, I really don't see a point of being against the use of DU ammunition in a computer simulation? I mean, really..

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I see an oxymoron in this statement. OK, let's kill each other but with certain rules. There are no rules in wars. You are either against the war or for it with all the consequences wars bring.
These are very harsh and disrespectful words from my former countryman. I will just say that I do not approve use of weapons that can indiscriminately harm people and environment.

And this is my last statement on the use of DU in DCS series.

Regards,

I don't know if this has been brought up elsewhere, but are there currently any plans to incorporate a new theatre into DCS:Warthog? Quite frankly I'm getting bored sick of flying in the Caucasus... why not a European map with hordes of Soviet armour to strafe? Or a middle east campaign like Iraq/Afghanistan (particually for the Apache!). I'm sure there are also a lot of Falcon 4.0 fliers who'd probably like to see a Korea map (unless thats just me lol).

Well, Nevada is being worked on, no?

Also, Afghanistan is not the Middle East. :smilewink:

ive seen the nellis range pics. and now it brings the question. "how will this area of scenery be introduced within DCS ?" would i be right in saying it has to be a seperate entity and therefore scenery will go down a modular path where development on non Caucasus scenery is concerned.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was kinda curious about the Nellis thing too. Are we going to fight in Nevada USA or is that where the training is going to take place? And maybe a Red Flag campaign like the Deployment campaign in Black Shark.

Dusty Rhodes

Play HARD, Play FAIR, Play TO WIN

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit / Intel i7 4790 Devils Canyon, 4.0 GIG /ASUS Maximus VII Formula Motherboard/ ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB/ 32 Gigs of RAM / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / TrackIR 5 / 2 Cougar MFD's / Saitek Combat Pedals/ DSD Button Box FLT-1

I don't know if this has been brought up elsewhere, but are there currently any plans to incorporate a new theatre into DCS:Wathog? Quite frankly I'm getting bored sick of flying in the Caucasus... why not a European map with hordes of Soviet armour to strafe? Or a middle east campaign like Iraq/Afghanistan (particually for the Apache!). I'm sure there are also a lot of Falcon 4.0 fliers who'd probably like to see a Korea map (unless thats just me lol).

How about Cuba? And Southern Florida...

Could make a nice futuristic hypothetical campaign...

Arizona

All that matters is that DU devestates the enemy...Thats all the military should be concerned with.

You forgot to add "along with at least making sure it's own people don't get poisoned in the process". ;)

I think we should (hypocritically, I know) leave the topic of DU to another thread, unless we specifically want to know if it will be in the DCS module, which is a foregone conclusion since it obviously will be.

They might be implying more integration than actually exists to try to capture customers, but TIS - the company ED works with for the A-10 military sim has a page covering its products packages, one of which is listed under the header "Ground Environment" as "RealWorld Ground Environment Sample Scenario"

http://www.totalimmersionsoftware.com/ground_scenario.html

and has the following images to accompany this text:

- Practice coordinated ingress, mission execution and egress

- Recon team scopes out insurgent numbers, activities. Radios intel to assault team

ground1_full.jpg

- Assault team arrives via helicopter, inserts on rooftop

- Snipers neutralize outside threats while assault team enters building and engages OPFOR (opposing force), locates and retrieves intelligence

ground2_full.jpg

and

- A-10C called in by radio to neutralize OPFOR in get-away vehicle loaded with bombs

- A-10C flies over, locates and confirms target with ground operators

- A-10C flies over, locates & confirms target with ground operators; drops guided bomb and eliminates getaway vehicle

ground3_full.jpg

- Ground teams exfiltrate

FPS for first images, player in FPS calls airstrike, third image from some itteration of ED's engine...

Implying - at least to me - some level of integration between the two...

Total Immersion is currently under a multi-year contract with the Defense Advance Research Projects Agency (DARPA) to create the RealWorld program, a rapid mission rehearsal system that will provide the U.S. military with a robust simulation engine complete with tools and resources necessary to create a variety of unique and diversified mission training applications.

“We’re very pleased to be working with TFC on this important simulation project,” said Carl Norman, Program Manager for TIS. “The DTT project is an exciting undertaking where we are able to create a synergy between the technical abilities and skills from the entertainment gaming business and the creative and innovative training approach that the Air National Guard has always provided to the U.S. Air Force.” Norman also added, “This A-10C DTT project is one of the first applications that we will be integrating into our RealWorld rapid mission rehearsal project.”

Edited by Weta43
  • Like 1

Cheers.

The Nevada theater is great yes, but it doesn't provide much in the way of Yanks vs Ruskies does it ;). Will be freakin' awesome for Red Flag exercises yes, but as far as a realistic campaign theater it's not really the best choice.

Balkan's would be awesome, some good opportunities for terrain masking there :D... just watch those Igla's!