Still Can't Land on Non-Paved Surfaces

rtimmons

I've been flying the Gazelle since it was released and I still can't land successfully on the grass or any non-paved surface more than about 1 out of 5 attempts. I even tried using auto hover and gently letting the the gazelle touch down to the ground just to make sure it wasn't my lousy control. The Gazelle starts to rock and roll when it gets a few feet off the ground and even auto hover can't stop it. Since the ground seems to snag the rails rather than letting them slip and even worse the Gazelle has an extreme tendency to bounce off the ground it winds up tipping over. It seems completely uncontrollable once the Gazelle bounces but if I can prevent the bounce by lowering the collective just at the point of touch down often the Gazelle breaks from the stress and won't take off again.

So anyway..

What I am wondering is ...is anything going to be done to change this or do I just have to learn to live with it? I haven't been able to find any answer from Polychop oh this but I have seen other post on the issue. To me this is the biggest problem with the Gazelle because even if everything else works I often can't complete my missions so I just avoid using it.

thanks

Randy

I do not agree that it was fixed in 1.5.4. I just finished many attempts to hone my skills at grass landings in 1.5.4 and I can't really tell any difference between 1.5.4 or 1.5.3 or 2.02. Bottom line is I get killed trying to land on grass. If there is a trick to it please let me know.

Otherwise please revisit this issue in 1.5.4. This is the only helo i can not land on grass with ease. Maybe it's just me but if so I give up.

randy

I will happily test again tonight. But I just watched several videos from a couple of our testers slide landing on grass both slow and fast. So if your still having issues, delete you Gazelle folder in mods and run repair.

Coder - Oculus Rift Guy - Court Jester

I don't know how to do any of the repairs you guys are suggesting but I will try to figure it out. Never had any problem before that required this. I can say that slide landing on grass is not a possibility with my version whatever it is.

thanks

randy

I do see this in some instances when landing on rough turf. Usually I land perfectly on rough surfaces and have no problems but it does seem to require perfection to land perfectly.... is this wrong?.. I dunno!

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

No problems here with grass landings. Could you post a track?

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Grass landings have always been possible, but you needed to nail the landing, with no sideways drift.

After the update, you'll still need to place it down with care, so don't blame the module for your poor pilotage. Just practice, and you'll get it.

Frankly it is not a bad thing to be punished for exceeding the limits in any evolution. This is a sim and not a game after all..

Your "running landing" is abit nose down and thus with the skids in front too low (no offense). If you watch autorotation landings of the RL gazelle you´ll see that the skids are slightly UP on front while touching down...not much much but a tiny little bit - and beside this the real gazelle does wobble as well while sliding. It´s hard to judge from inside as we have no "feeling" in simulation, but it´s a matter of training.

I have no problem of getting her down on non-paved surfaces in a standard landing, running landings are a different beast.

I can confirm that the behaviour on grass is definitely improved with the latest release.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]my rig specs: i7-4790K CPU 4.50GHz, 32GB RAM, 64bit WIN10, NVidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti, SSD+

A10C, UH-1H, M2C, F5E, Gazelle, KA 50, F18C, DCS 2.5x OB

I can land ok if I stabilize the momentum before touch down. It is just not so critical in a huey so I never worried about such a care full procedure. The huey is not easy to learn either but it dies skid on grass. The Gazelle acts as if it is placing the full weight of the helo on the skid as soonas it barely touches the ground when in fact the wieght is still being supported by the rotors. Since the skids are locked down and the weight is in the air the slightest momentum in any direction will cause the tip over. If this is the way Gazelles really land then that is ok with me. No argument here...But I won't be using it in situations where I need to get landed in a hurry and get out or get shot.

Your "running landing" is abit nose down and thus with the skids in front too low (no offense). If you watch autorotation landings of the RL gazelle you´ll see that the skids are slightly UP on front while touching down...not much much but a tiny little bit - and beside this the real gazelle does wobble as well while sliding. It´s hard to judge from inside as we have no "feeling" in simulation, but it´s a matter of training.

I have no problem of getting her down on non-paved surfaces in a standard landing, running landings are a different beast.

I can confirm that the behaviour on grass is definitely improved with the latest release.

Re-tried the running landing, this time with a nose up attitude, with pretty much the same result...Then again, maybe NeilWillis is right, and I just need to "git gud", although I agree with rtimmons in that it's a lot easier to do in the Huey.

Holy crap those are fast landings! How fast are people expecting to be able to land in the dirt with skids? What happens when you try it at a realistic speed, like 5-10 knots?

Posted in another thread by the devs, only a few knots slower than mine:

Holy crap those are fast landings! How fast are people expecting to be able to land in the dirt with skids? What happens when you try it at a realistic speed, like 5-10 knots?

+1

That's way too fast IMO..

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

So doing some testing via external camera, collision model for the skids doesn't seem to exactly line up with the skids. Maybe that's what is causing the issue for me.

Because the front collision point seems to be about 8-10" behind the bend in the skids, any apparent front-loading of the helo will cause the skid to dig into the ground. The curved front of the skid doesn't seem to be able to absorb terrain at all.

Edit: I also believe friction is too high still as well. Steel on grass should slide for a while.

Edited by gospadin

Wop wop wop.

First video which was shown to you was a complete WIP. I personally tested with Pat to get the good values, and they are now finalized.

On next update, you can expect to be able to land without problem up to 40-50 Km/h on grass. Over it becomes really dangerous. In such situation, if your vertical speed exceeds around 20-30 m/min, you may end on the nose.

Landing with a reverse speed will end in the aircraft rising its nose and then destroy the tail.

So you should be able to do a classic slow speed landing on grass without problem, even with (a bit) lateral speed (not over 10 km/h). If you still have some problem, honestly guys, it will come from your way of piloting, nothing else ;)

Don't try the running landing on your current version, specially on 2 monthes old NTTR version, because you won't get any good result.

The last video is nearer than the first one from final result.

Nicolas

Edited by dimitriov

I tried 3 times to land at waypoint 7 of the first mission of the campaign, without success.

Not sure I'd try again at this point, I will just mantain a hover.

A bit more forgiveness goes a long way, at least for me.

Kaby Lake @ 4.6Ghz - Gigabyte Z170-D3H - 16Gb DDR4 - Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 OC - Samsung EVO 250Gb SSD - Seagate 1 Tb HDD - HTC Vive - Rift CV1