Huey EGT limitations... Test Flight...

DSPALLASVI

Have been playing around with Triggers ('Type', 'Conditions' & 'Actions') and after some research:book: and testing :smartass: came across these EGT parameters that seem to work with the EGT gauge readings.

When I fly within the 'Normal Operating EG Temperatures', as I can see on the EGT gauge, all is well and the helicopter is flying normal without problems.

However, when I fly the EGTs outside their operating range, AND depending on how long & at what EXCESS temperature, an engine failure ensues. Resulting in a nice 'real life' auto-rotation "practice" to the ground. (time-duration-limits and temperatures were found in the RL Huey manual!)

I have no experience with '.lua' or MIST coding whatsoever, but would assume that these triggers (in this case EGT) could somehow be pasted into a '.lua' file and thus simplifying the trigger set-up in any new mission.

That said, I am wondering if someone could show me how to make this EGT trigger info into a "Do Script" or "Do Script File" format. :helpsmilie:

In that way, I don't need to implement a bunch of Triggers when I want to make a new mission, but can just paste one trigger ("Do Script → 'EGT Limitations') and move on with the mission making.

Better even yet, I wonder with such a "Do Script (File)" trigger, if it then would be possible to retro-fit any Huey mission that's out there and so can have EGT limitations added to any mission, simply by running the "Do Script → 'EGT Limitations'" file as the very first trigger in the 'Actions' list.

Look forward to hear some thoughts on this...

First of all if I'm actually posting this in the right Huey forum:cry:..., if it's even possible at all... or even if it's just to tell me I'm dreaming 'out loud' in Paradise :music_whistling:

EGT Limitations.miz

970557627_EGToutsideNormalOperatingRange.thumb.jpg.a0360287325ffa82b247a45b52a579e1.jpg

ASUS Sabertooth X79 TUF Motherboard / Intel Core i7-3930K Unlocked Processor Six Core / Corsair CMP32GX3M4X1600C10 Dominator Memory Kit - 32GB (4x 8GB) / OCZ Solid 3 480GB Solid State Drive / EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW+ / Corsair CW-9060002-WW Hydro H70 CORE CPU Cooler / Seagate ST1000DM003 1TB Hard Drive / BenQ XL2420TX 24" Widescreen LED Gaming Monitor - 1920 x 1080 / Windows 7 Ultimate Edition, 64-bit / C-Tek 12-bit: Foot Pedals - Robinson Cyclic - 5-button-hat cyclic - Collective / TrackIR-5

Fishbreath,

FYI; "mission" is just a Huey flying +/- 1650 ft AGL,

All I did was make a test flight to see if the EGT triggers worked the way I wanted them to.

Would love to see someone make it into a '.lua' file. Thanks

DSPALLASVI

ASUS Sabertooth X79 TUF Motherboard / Intel Core i7-3930K Unlocked Processor Six Core / Corsair CMP32GX3M4X1600C10 Dominator Memory Kit - 32GB (4x 8GB) / OCZ Solid 3 480GB Solid State Drive / EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW+ / Corsair CW-9060002-WW Hydro H70 CORE CPU Cooler / Seagate ST1000DM003 1TB Hard Drive / BenQ XL2420TX 24" Widescreen LED Gaming Monitor - 1920 x 1080 / Windows 7 Ultimate Edition, 64-bit / C-Tek 12-bit: Foot Pedals - Robinson Cyclic - 5-button-hat cyclic - Collective / TrackIR-5

DSPALLASVI, what you propose is unfortunately not possible. See this thread and in particular post #3 by [FSF]Ian: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=135987&highlight=cockpit+arguments+lua The gist of it is that the X:COCKPIT functions are not available in the scripting environment.

[url=http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=135987&highlight=cockpit+arguments+lua][/url]

Aaaah... bummer!! :(:mad:

Thanks 'ajax' for the heads-up..

And as 'Igneous01' also mentioned in his post (#4): "...Well... that's extremely unfortunate...."

Just read the thread you mentioned and so it sounds that only Trigger actions can be implemented in Missions then; for I know the EGT triggers work in a single mission.

Sure had my hopes up there for a while.....

Back to the drawing board... :book:

And as 'Igneous01' also mentioned in his post (#4): "...Well... that's extremely unfortunate...."

Yes, indeed it is.

...so it sounds that only Trigger actions can be implemented in Missions then...

Not quite. Some trigger-type actions are available to Lua scripts:

trigger.misc.getUserFlag

trigger.misc.getZone

trigger.action.activateGroup

trigger.action.addOtherCommand

trigger.action.addOtherCommandForCoalition

trigger.action.addOtherCommandForGroup

trigger.action.deactivateGroup

trigger.action.explosion

trigger.action.groupContinueMoving

trigger.action.groupStopMoving

trigger.action.illuminationBomb

trigger.action.outSound

trigger.action.outSoundForCoalition

trigger.action.outSoundForCountry

trigger.action.outSoundForGroup

trigger.action.outSoundStop

trigger.action.outText

trigger.action.outTextForCoalition

trigger.action.outTextForCountry

trigger.action.outTextForGroup

trigger.action.pushAITask

trigger.action.radioTransmission

trigger.action.removeOtherCommand

trigger.action.removeOtherCommandForCoalition

trigger.action.removeOtherCommandForGroup

trigger.action.setAITask

trigger.action.setGroupAIOff

trigger.action.setGroupAIOn

trigger.action.setUserFlag

trigger.action.signalFlare

trigger.action.smoke

trigger.action.stopRadioTransmission

Thanks, though it looks like all the 'trigger-type actions' all relate to external 'items, and none to the actual machine one is flying. Is that a correct assumption?

Well, it depends on how you look at it. Some of those functions can operate on your machine, such as sending messages and adding menu commands. But for trigger functions in general, yes. There are other functions that relate (or can relate) to your machine. For example, you can get location, speed, altitude, and heading for any unit in the game, including for yourself. This link is good place to see all that is available: http://wiki.hoggit.us/view/Simulator_Scripting_Engine_Documentation

Thanks for the link, ajax. Will see if I can make any sense of it.

For example; just looked at the 'Singleton: Trigger" and it's description:

"...The trigger singleton contains a number of functions that mimic actions and conditions found within the mission editor triggers. As a result these functions provide an easy way to interface with triggers setup within the mission editor. Additionally a few trigger functions act as a gateway between mission editor triggers and related scripting functions...."

Can I interpret that as the triggers in the Mission Editor act as 'gateways' TO the .lua environment?!? Meaning the triggers' status can be a 'Flag' in the .'lua' script? a

I guess the operative word here is "A FEW TRIGGERS"...:cry:

However, when I fly the EGTs outside their operating range, AND depending on how long & at what EXCESS temperature, an engine failure ensues. Resulting in a nice 'real life' auto-rotation "practice" to the ground. (time-duration-limits and temperatures were found in the RL Huey manual!)

Dspallasvi, could you please direct me to the RL Huey manual.

The more I learn bout this issue the more bummed I get.

I have become what I thought was pretty proficient in piloting my Huey.

Afraid I never really paid to much attention to EGT. Now that

I am, I see that I've gotta make some adjustments. If I know what Huey's limits are, I guess I can employ "honor system" till these parameters are implemented in the sim or you guys come up with work around.

Thanks for keeping this issue publicized.

Good luck.

EDIT: Found manuals

Edited by Chic
found it

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

I wish this feature was a native part of the huey module... observing the EGT limits are a pretty damn important part of handling an aircraft.

Here's an CFM56-2B turbine that had it's EGT limits, um, exceeded... :lol:

And like just about every overtemped turbine I've ever seen, the engine would still run, it just wouldn't produce a whole lot of power.

20120424_113334.jpg.065debc0b917bb1b584790e7d751f923.jpg

i5-4670K@4.5GHz / 16 GB RAM / SSD / GTX1080

Rift CV1 / G-seat / modded FFB HOTAS

Hmmm... interesting, to say the least. Kudos for a clever workaround! Could this be used to simulate engine/gearbox loss of oil and/or overheat damage as well?

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

As I have said in the past, flying without EGT limmits implemented, makes the Huey module an ARCADE game. EVERY RL heli is bottlenecked (as far as speed, weight lifting capability, Hover ability, cervice ceiling and many more) by either it's EGT, torque or Ng limmits. Flying DCS huey without these limmits is not even close to Real... It's like playing Call of Duty with God mode enabled. Exactly the same. You will be completely amazed, stunned and shocked if this limmits one day are introduced. Everyone of us (including me) will find themselves incapable of flying the way we have used to fly until now and will start to learn from the begining... Period

Until then we can continue flying with God mode on...

Edited by sondo214

From my RL as a heli pilot, whenever I move an inch of the collective (or I feel such movement the Baralt/Radalt hold does) my eye goes instantly to the Tq meter and EGT. 70% of the flight I am limmited by one of these (comparing to how much I would pull my collective If these limmits were not there).

Edited by sondo214

"

...As I have said in the past, flying without EGT limmits implemented, makes the Huey module an ARCADE game. EVERY RL heli is bottlenecked (as far as speed, weight lifting capability, Hover ability, cervice ceiling and many more) by either it's EGT, torque or Ng limmits. Flying DCS huey without these limmits is not even close to Real... It's like playing Call of Duty with God mode enabled. Exactly the same. You will be completely amazed, stunned and shocked if this limmits one day are introduced. Everyone of us (including me) will find themselves incapable of flying the way we have used to fly until now and will start to learn from the begining... Period

Until then we can continue flying with God mode on...

"

Yes, fully agree. Do not have an interest in any kind of "God-Mode", and would like an RL approach to flying the Huey. That was why I had my hopes up, thinking that with these (EGT) triggers I could implement at least the EGT limitations.

Mind you, the triggers can still be used for each mission / flight... but apparently only work in Single Player mode.

All one has to do is implement them into the Mission Editor.

I was simply hoping that a 'Do Script [File]' could have been made of them, saving one from all this 'input' to be done every time a new mission is made.

Still planning to implement them in the missions I am working on though. Thinking of a 'check-ride' type mission, including EGT / Bank / Pitch limitations and 'can / can't'-do decisions to be made... :joystick:

→ Chic: Manual is 24MB so can't attach it here ('.pdf' max size = 9.77MB). Am trying to find where I download it from:doh:.

It was from one of the forums here:book:..., I know that:book:....

Edit:

→→ Chic..., found the link; manuals and checklists too :):music_whistling::

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=117713&highlight=UH-1+manual

335701149_UH-1Manual(front).jpg.3a3e43732273f948e243e3826f15770a.jpg

Edited by DSPALLASVI

""

Edit:

→→ Chic..., found the link; manuals and checklists too :):music_whistling::

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=117713&highlight=UH-1+manual

Much obliged DSPALLASVI.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

There was somewhere a newer version of the manual from '88 with changes from 2002. But I don´t have the link at hand. When I find it, I´ll post it here...

I think many people wouldn´t like to fly the Huey anymore if the real limitations where implemented. And EGT is by far the most unproblematic value of the real T53-L-13B. The Belsimtek T53-L-13B has wrong values in the DCS Huey.

That said, I personally would love to have the real limitations (Ng, rotor rpm, torque) finally build in.

Fox

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

I think many people wouldn´t like to fly the Huey anymore if the real limitations where implemented.

Fox

Well that may be true because all these years we have learnt to fly with almost unlimited power and we will be dissapointed of what we won't be able (that previoulsy could) do IF and WHEN these limmits are implemented...

I really can't understand why BSD abandoned this excellent module with unlimited power... At least that should have been done. When you are making a realistic flight sim you can't ignore it's limmitations... we can play HAWX also... It's great fun too...

I am very harsh of what I write here, but I really have fed up waiting limmits to be implemented, and I personaly won't fly any more if these limmits are NOT made... Period

I am not complaining about some visual glitches, or some reostats not working. Limmits are the number one factor you have in mind when flying in RL and in BSD Huey just are not there... For me, it's not a sim any more in my heart...

Edited by sondo214

For me, it's not a sim any more in my heart...
I've said this before and I'll say it again. It's still a sim, albeit an incomplete one, i.e. what's modelled and implemented now is a HC simulation regardless. This module is _not_ merely a game, even in its current unfinished state.

And I'm not saying this to belittle the argument for finally finishing the bugger, BTW. Quite the contrary actually, because I'll be the first punter bouncing up and down with joy when / if they finally get this thing wrapped up. But still, it IS a sim already, not a game!

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Ok so let's define what a sim is... Do we all agree that a sim must have an acurate flight model? I belive we do. Where is that acurate FM in BSD huey when you can set OAT temp 40 degrees, full fuel, full armament, no wind and takeoff and fly with VNE speed?

I am not saying that it's the same as HAWX or something like that, but I am saying that in order to call it a real sim (used for entertainment of course), these little remaining things must be done

Edited by sondo214

Well to be clear, I'm fine with people calling it a simulator, because it simulates something. However, I really don't like when people say "it's not a game", but it is also most definitely a game. But I digress, sorry. Like I said, the level of realism is irrelevant. But that's my opinion and everyone is entitled to one of their own as well.