New material for flat and cylindrical displays

zahry

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi Zahry,

went through this thread and your website and i'm still looking for proper documentation with sizes, projection configurations and angles , limits etc.

unfortunatelly it is still work in progress - I've done minor updates to the website but I'm still quite behind. there is bit more info on FB https://www.facebook.com/pages/SimPit-Technologies-Ltd/118179234934114?ref=hl and I'll be updating the website in day or two (hopefully)

Sorry, didn't read the whole thread, but what is the resolution in this setup?

Do projectors overlap in the middle?

the setup is using 2x benq 1080st = 2x 1920x 1080 = 3840x1080. the projectors overlap in the middle for warping and blending purposes. there is unwarped desktop:

10379474_727813763970655_6246205268759763657_o.jpg

Fascinating. I see that black screen and assume it will be very dim and desaturated.

with any black paint you would be 100% correct. But the black pearl coatings are completely different ball game - the layers absorb ambient light and reflect projector light. The gain is about 0.8 which is not too bad although compared side by side to high gain screen it will appear dimer. however - on it's own (due to BP high contrast) it will look much better and visually appear brighter.

Edited by zahry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Screen colors?

I am working on my 3rd and new build for a cockpit and I am going almost all out on this one and want at least a 180 degree view.

I saw the videos of the black screens and wondering what is the best material and/or paint color for the best display if I were to go with projectors?

Also, I see many use front projection instead of back projection. Curious on quality difference?

I don't want to be blinded as I am also a real pilot.

Thanks

Over 180 degree setup limits it to just flight sim use. Regular games are limited by their lack of advanced camera control. Your setup will have to be flight sim specific if you go beyond 180 degrees.

Depends on the room you'll use it in and the ability to control ambient light. A black pearl coating like this screen is specifically designed for ambient light rooms. If you have total control over the light in a room you could just as soon go with a white or gray screen. Screen material used is situational to the end use location.

The main difference is that when you rear project the projection does not have any issue with the simpit you end up using blocking the projection, because the projection is behind the screen. In general, rear projection is more expensive and requires a much larger room to implement.

Being blinded in any scenario, I don't see that as a possibility.

-Brad

• 3 weeks later...

some new update (parallel thread)

finally some shots from DCS (will have some video coming up soon as well)

10983436_780869991998365_6770600157970753543_o.jpg

10842296_780870075331690_5723621264395155815_o.jpg

1397044_780870078665023_6784027412667378924_o.jpg

this is with 2 projectors and 180FoV (3840 x 1080). Headtracking works like a charmed and I actually found myself to use the helmet sight for targeting. Now I have to find another homeless TM warthog ...

Edited by zahry

I am working on my 3rd and new build for a cockpit and I am going almost all out on this one and want at least a 180 degree view.

Brad summed it up really well.

Up to 180º FoV you have complete freedom of software - pick a game and it will work. If you go over it gets more entertaining with setups. The only software capable of native 270º is DCS World, A10C, Ka 50 and FC2. FSX and P3D can achieve 270º as well with some easy workarounds. You can use the 270º setup even for normal games by adjusting warping but it means half of each projector on L and R side won't be used.

I saw the videos of the black screens and wondering what is the best material and/or paint color for the best display if I were to go with projectors?

As Brad mentioned - from contrast point of view - if you have complete control over lighting conditions screen material doesn't really matter. From comfort and health point of view the best is screen that achieves high contrast without over boosting brightness.

Black would be probably the best color for screen ... BUT - black is black because it doesn't reflect light - which is kinda bummer because if the projector screen doesn't reflect light it doesn't work. (the Black Pearl only appears black - the surface is "programmed" to reflect only projector light and absorb everything else = for projector light the surface is shining white, for light from any other source it is a black hole).

Also, I see many use front projection instead of back projection. Curious on quality difference?

Front projection on white surface is cheap and simple so it is the most common - but it produces very marginal result during day or in a lit room and the use is very light dependent (usually night time only and no lights),

Rear projection can produce very good image anytime and users can't interfere with the projector beams, you can use it day or night and place hardware anywhere inside - but - it costs lot, it takes lot of space and it is very tricky to setup and maintain.

The compromise is front projection on material with selective reflectiveness. There is still problem with beam interference if you walk around but it is very easy to setup and maintain, the cost is still very low and you can use it day or night - and most of all - it produces far the best image.

I don't want to be blinded as I am also a real pilot.

From health point of view the best are systems with reflected light as oppose to emitted light and with high contrast without over boosted brightness (same as real life) - also the higher resolution the better. - it reduces eye fatigue, eye strain and you running less risk of chronic problems.

If you are flying for real try to restrict your time infront of bright monitors or wearing VR goggles (especially with cheap plastic optics and low res) or at least take frequent breaks - I've learned the hard way - withing 1 year from 20/20 to wearing prescription glasses and still having troubles.