Do you unplug the controllers when you are done simming?

Do you guys unplug your joysticks, trackir and rudder pedals every time you are done playing? I have been doing so because, a long time ago, I read in a thread that someone got his Warthog Hotas cooked, because his was plugged into the USB ports when the OS is loading, during which time the electric signal generated is too strong for the integrated circuits in Warthog (which is supposed to be a premium product!) I got scared and unplug my controllers before shutting down the computer, and plug them in only after the OS is fully loaded. I find that exceedingly troublesome.

As for trackir, especially for the pro clip, I guess there is an additional reason to unplug it. The small bulbs generating IR signals have limited lifespan. When plugged in, the bulbs are lit up, and are wasting their life.

So what are your experiences and suggestions? Thanks.

My TIR Proclip gets unplugged, mostly so that it can be put out of harms way. Aside from that, I don't unplug anything. I do power off the touch screen and its USB connection but that is only because it is covered with a towel when not in use.

I also don't ever shut the machine down, aside from maintenance periods, unless I am going to be away for more than 24 hours. Even in those cases, everything is hooked up (but the TIR Proclip), before the machine gets turned on

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I have been doing so because, a long time ago, I read in a thread that someone got his Warthog Hotas cooked, because his was plugged into the USB ports when the OS is loading, during which time the electric signal generated is too strong for the integrated circuits in Warthog (which is supposed to be a premium product!)

That definitely shouldn't happen. Over voltages on the 5V line during boot or normal operation of the PC is definitely a sing for a very bad power supply.

If you got any quality brand power supply I would say that is nearly impossible. Sure, you can have a power supply malfunction, but that would destroy much more than just an external USB device.

If you have a bad PSU and you are worried about it might destroying your Warthog, you better go ahead and exchange the PSU instead of just unplugging your stick.

The PSU is probably the most underrated part when buying PC components. When it dies, it definitely will take some other components with it.

As for trackir, especially for the pro clip, I guess there is an additional reason to unplug it. The small bulbs generating IR signals have limited lifespan. When plugged in, the bulbs are lit up, and are wasting their life.

They should only be lit up when the PC is running. If you leave them plugged in (as probably most people do), your hard drive, monitor and generally anything in the PC will fail before your TrackIR leds will fail.

If we assume that the IR Leds have a minimum lifespan of 20000 hours (which is easily achievable today) and you operate your PC for 10 hours every day, the LEDs will last for at least 5 years. Given that the 20000 hours are easily exceeded, they probably will run 10 year at 10 hours per day operation before they fail. And especially with the ProClip, you will have broken that damn thing long before the LEDs will fail.

So no, I don't disconnect my joystick, throttle, rudder pedals, TrackIR camera and ProClip. Neither do I disconnect my mouse, keyboard, several Arduinos as well as the 3 monitors that also serve as USB hubs whenever I boot my PC.

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

Bad PSU or not, early production batches of Warthog were "famous" for this kind of malfunction and if PSU was the only culprit, there would be Saiteks, Logis and CHs frying in the same way all over the world. That was not the case.

Whether the throttle design / TH software of the last batches was "fixed" or not, I prefer to be on the safe side and even though I bought a hefty XFX PSU some time ago, yes, I unplug my Warthog set once the flight ops are over for the day ;).

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I read in a thread that someone got his Warthog Hotas cooked, because his was plugged into the USB ports when the OS is loading, during which time the electric signal generated is too strong for the integrated circuits in Warthog.

Totally ridiculous! It's funny what we can read sometime in the net. Thank! For the joke. Is this a "save the planet" thing? :D

His Warthog Hotas cooked? It look like a device damage by static charge at the factory of manufacturing. :D

The only thing I unplug is the power unit of the force feedback joystick.

Plug in and unplug your stuff will degrade the usb connector contacts.

It's the apocalypse! :D

giphy.gif

Edited by Demon_

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.

My x52 Pro, rudder pedals and TM MFDs are all plugged into a USB hub, which I only plug in (to a front USB port) when I'm simming and unplug when I'm done; this isn't an eco thing, just don't want all those lights on whilst trying to use my computer!

TrackIR is always plugged in but I only run the software when simming, so unit is off when not in use.

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

I unplug. I do it because I want these devices not to run for no reason.

I use a HUB. Connected all (X52 HOTAS, rudders, MFDs) into it, and it's easy to just disconnect HUB's cable... :P

Edit: Hi Tone71. :)

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

3-4 years now my warthog and tir5 stays on the machine and works like a charm...

However one thing that i don't forget to do when i leave my home for job is to close my system and cut the power of the psu...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

I unplug. I do it because I want these devices not to run for no reason.

I use a HUB. Connected all (X52 HOTAS, rudders, MFDs) into it, and it's easy to just disconnect HUB's cable... :P

Edit: Hi Tone71. :)

Great idea :)

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

Hi guys. Thanks for all the ideas.

My proclip is lit up when it is plugged in even if the computer is not operating, probably because of some bios settings. I will change that, and I am prepared to leave my controllers plugged in from now on...

As for using USB hub for all controllers, I have one doubt... All the controllers communicate with the CPU via one single USB port to which the USB hub is connected: Will they interfere with each other? Will reponse time for each controller be stretched? Will performance be affected in any way?

Thanks again guys.

As for using USB hub for all controllers, I have one doubt... All the controllers communicate with the CPU via one single USB port to which the USB hub is connected: Will they interfere with each other? Will reponse time for each controller be stretched? Will performance be affected in any way?

No. No. No.

:)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I leave everything plugged in and have never had a problem in 14+ years of playing sims.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

No. No. No.
I've just started to using HUB, and I realized that throttle input has too much flicker. I think it wasn't that much when connected directly to an USB port. I need re-check to be sure though...

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5

I've left everything plugged in since Hornet 3.0. Never a problem.

Dale

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

• 4 weeks later...

All hooked in but the power cord of FFB stick.... just because sometimes produces a hissle sound while standing still... like it searches for the center that it sits in...

But I do have a UPS and a surge protected power cord...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

So have you rechecked? What was the outcome? Thanks.
Yes, checked.

When connected directly to USB port on PC I see (in control panel) barely flicker. Red indicator of throttle, slider, X or Y axis may hesitate one pixel or not. It's great performance for me, but when connected via USB HUB (and if there're other devices connected), all HOTAS data has too much flicker. You can't believe it. Especially mini mouse stick data seems so funny! If only HOTAS connected to the HUB, there's no problem like direct connect.

Maybe it's my HUB's quality or it needs external power or something...