MiG 21 vs modern fighters

lucien

Anyone had any luck against the modern fighters yet?

Closest I came was on 104, spotted an F-15 spike, pulled up behind him. Had him on my radar about 5km out, probably should have turned off my radar. I get 1km closer, it seems that he spots me and begins to bank, I launch my 2 R-60M out of effective range in my attempt, he flares and defeats 'em, now maneuvering too hard for me to lock him on the radar, I dive down back into the mountains and run away. 9 times out of 10 I get an AIM-120C to the face.

So what luck have you guys had so far?

Related video by AKATenn

EDIT:

and my go

MiG-21 military combat record

Edited by lucien

• Replies 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mig-21 is more stable then su-27 now.

i7 2600k -- Noctua NH-D14--Asrock Z75 Pro3--ASUS GTX970 Strix --16Go Ripjaws X 1333--Thermaltake Smart M650--CoolerMaster Silencio 652S--AOC E2752VQ-- Sandisk Extreme II 480GB--Saitek X-52 Pro --SAITEK PZ35 Pedals

Got an Su-27, I think TrackIR/FaceTrackNoIR would make life a lot easier though.

I didn't like FaceTrack, but you could try it. Expect to spend a lot of time configuring it, though, I guess you do that with TrackIR too.

mig-21 is more stable then su-27 now.

Stable perhaps. But the avionics are all in favour of the sukhoi.

In the 104th I have killed 2 F15s, and 1 A10C.

In the S77th, I have killed an Su-25t, and an Su-27.

I don't fly the Mig a ton in the A/A in multiplayer. But I have been shot down plenty of times for those few kills.

Did you shoot most of them down from behind?

I didn't like FaceTrack, but you could try it. Expect to spend a lot of time configuring it, though, I guess you do that with TrackIR too.

Did you try FaceTrack using the PointTrack API with an IR clip?

Apparently that makes a huge difference along with having a HD webcam?

I would buy TrackIR but I'm poor, at least for the moment :cry:

• Like 1

A few tips:

The Mig-21 is in disadvantage so your best chances are with a suprprise, a close ambush from below/behind. So don't use your radar for searching, if you do you will alert your adversary and let him know where you are. He will avoid you or begin a BVR hunting.

1) Read the briefing and find where fighter will be flying. Find a few valleys in their path.

2) Fly very low in this valleys with your radar in standby at 500-700 km/h for max endurance. Use the mountains to hide from any RWR signal (searching radar).

3) Search using your RWR and looking up with zoom. You will eventually find a target.

4) When you find it stay away from its sensors field of view, gain speed with emergency AFT, climb and ambush from behind. For close up dogfights with high maneuvering targets IR R-60M work best.

5) Abort the attack if you feel the target is flying to fast for a fast ambush or there are other bandits at his 6.

Edited by JorgeIII
  • Like 1

AKA TANGO-117. DCS Modules: ALL. I7 6700k @ 4.9 GHz / 32 GB DDR4 @ 3.2 GHz / 950 Pro m.2 + 4xSSDs / Gigabyte 1080TI 11 GB OC / 48" 4K Curved Samsung TV / TM Warthog Hotas / TM TPR rudder pedals / Track IR. Private pilot and sailplane pilot in RL.

Hello, I'm AKATenn, also known as Scotty online,

My advice is to go offline, and repeat the medium or hard target practice over and over till you figure out the maximum range of the missiles, then, while always firing at the maximum range possible, try to kill all the targets as fast as possible, keep doing this over and over till you're not only confident you missiles will hit every time at the maximum range possible, but you've beat your best time till its physically impossible for you to do the entire mission from beginning to end any faster

reason being, by the time you get in missile range against an su-27 or f-15, you're already way WAY W A Y in range of their missiles, so you need to get a lock, get a missile off, and stay locked long enough for the missile to hit hopefully before their missiles reach you.

only after you've mastered using the radar and getting missiles off, not just when the radar says it'll hit, but from the REAL maximum range of the missile, then you should worry about how to get in missile range in the first place.

for finding a target in the first place, if you don't have awacs, then what you need to do is let yourself be seen, radar off is better, but its easier for them to find you with it on, keep one eye on the RWR at all times, if someone pings you even once, shut off the radar, make sure to see what direction it came in on the RWR, then dive down to the deck, i mean scary close to the deck, basically looking up will see trees deck, then turn towards him, wait till you either get pinged again, or a few minutes, then check your radar for no more than 15 seconds, then shut it off again, rinse and repeat till you get in radar range of something.

I like to call that tactic... fishing for flankers... so far i've gotten 5 flanker kills and one f-15 kill using it.

DO NOT leave the mountains... mountains and peaks = survival

if you get on flat lands, and have nothing between you and that group of half a dozen aim-120c's don't blame anyone but yourself.

Don't use afterburner a lot, but don't conserve fuel either, Jorge says to stay around 700kph, but better to stay around 1050kph (with afterburner off), that way nothing can catch you without burning a butt ton of fuel, and you don't need to accelerate nearly as much to catch your target, all while still having more than enough range to get a kill and get home...

Some things i've noticed

the mig-21 is faster than the su-27 and way faster than the f-15, assuming their afterburners are off, the mig-21 also retains energy far better than them as well, but it doesn't dive as good.

there's basically no chance of anything outrunning the mig-21 unless their already up at mach 2, or running afterburner for unreasonable amounts of time.

the mig-21 is very small and hard to see visually

R-3R's are by far the best missiles for the mig-21, since all you need is a lock and to be close enough, and no amount of flare or chaff can trick them.

my general loadout is 4 R-3R's and an 800L tank when I'm going up against fighters, usually enough for 2 kills, first missile distracts (hopefully hits too), 2nd missile downs him.

I'll take 2 R-3Rs or wing tanks (depending on the distance) 4 R-60Ms and an 800L center tank when im going against A-10s and such...

hope some of this helps...

Edited by Hadwell
  • Like 1

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

reason being, by the time you get in missile range against an su-27 or f-15, you're already way WAY W A Y in range of their missiles, so you need to get a lock, get a missile off, and stay locked long enough for the missile to hit hopefully before their missiles reach you.

only after you've mastered using the radar and getting missiles off, not just when the radar says it'll hit, but from the REAL maximum range of the missile, then you should worry about how to get in missile range in the first place.

Maximum range is what, 4km? 3km effective? Generally just wait a second before launch and you'll be right on target.

I'll take 2 R-3Rs or wing tanks (depending on the distance) 4 R-60Ms and an 800L center tank when im going against A-10s and such...

hope some of this helps...

R-60M for a-10c? why? they have a pretty low heat signature, I can't even lock them until they're out of the missiles effective range.

Maximum range is what, 4km? 3km effective? Generally just wait a second before launch and you'll be right on target

R-60M for a-10c? why? they have a pretty low heat signature, I can't even lock them until they're out of the missiles effective range.

#1 yeah R-3Rs range is 4KM, except that.... if you fire a missile, and the target tries to evade by turning left or right, you might be able to fire at 5km and still hit, all i was really trying to emphasize was not waiting till the red light comes on before you fire, learn what you can get away with past that effective range...

#2because i can carry 4 of them with drop tanks, a-10s can take a real beating, so more is better.

I have hit an A-10C with a single R-60M before, he just shrugged it off and kept flying, minus an engine mind you... so i took his wing off with my cannon... see... a-10s may have teeth, but if you're directly on their six going 900kph, they can't really do much...

barrelroll.gifis how I attacked him, i made two runs on him, just did that :P

taken from http://airwarrior.afkamm.co.uk/AirCombat/maneuvers.shtml

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

also i think i should clarify.... i've died a lot, and i do mean a lot... way more than i've killed... but I'm finally to the point where i get an kill every 3 deaths or so on a good day, and on a bad day every 6 or so....

that's not to say i don't get 3 fighter kills without dying (only happened once...) every once in a while :P

and it took me from release day till the day i posted that video to get my first fighter kill online, and that was before i learned how to use missiles properly, otherwise i probably would have killed him long before i ever had to use my guns.... though i'd killed a ton of ground targets, and gotten that A-10 kill in the post above, also killed a b-1b bomber before then, only talking online here...

offline i've killed lots of fighters and bombers and everything in-between... helicopters (wanted to see the low speed mode do its thing)...

anyway, i don't know how many fighter kills i have now, more than 12, less than 20... i do know i've only shot down 3 A-10s... i usually end up being chased by a fighter, and having to fight him instead...

that's all i really have to say...

Edited by Hadwell

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

<= how you fight with the mig-21, minus the whole mating thing. as ugly as that fish is, it's totally badass

Edited by Hadwell
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ahhh, I didn't know you were Scotty online. I'm JFET_Justo. I was playing with you on a few servers earlier.

I see what you mean but I still can't seem to get a fighter kill whatsoever lol. Theres always something. Can still get a-10's :D.

I think it would help a lot, though, if I set it up to where I can actually use the AWACS. Haven't been able to sneak up on any fighters, and when i bait them with my radar off(which I tried today) it seems like its a good way to go about it, but I was unable to get a kill from it(circumstances), though the strategy saved my hide several times.

Maybe I could get one of your replays?

Yes, I've been trying to save tracks for a while now but they all end up failing right at the beginning, the plane just rolls off the taxiway and gets stuck, and that's the end of it... i don't use time warp or anything... no idea what I'm doing wrong there... eventually I'll get one that works...

in the meantime...

Edited by Hadwell

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ok i've uploaded a track here http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=30823936298571255314

Edited by Hadwell

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nice inverted cresting...

you have to do radial turns and dives with the mig-21.

any negative G's = engine restart time...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

so I've started these from when i first engage the enemy, and they stop right after i kill it.

keep a close eye on my rwr right at the beginning of the video, he's the one I'm hunting, i dived down to take cover behind that hill, hoping he'd zoom towards me right into my missiles, and he did....

as for the 2nd one... pretty self explanatory

both kills are F-15s.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

All on the 104th server, online play, no AI

nothing i post will be AI kills unless i specifically say it is.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Against player CAS / Ground attack is particulary fun. Their CAP is usually extremely careless. I started to record my kills. Make sure you know where friendly units are and fly over their positions until you find the active enemy objective. This is from two days.

Every dash splits two different sorties (6 sorties in total).

1.Shot down an F-15C (CAP) with 1 x R60 over Kazbegi National Park

-

2.Disabled an A10C with 1 x R3S just east of Khashuri

3.Shot down an Su-27 (Ground Attack) with R3S just north of Khashuri

4.Shot down a Ka-50 with guns over Khashuri

-

5.Shot down an A10C with 2 x R3R south of Tskhinvali

-

6.Shot down an A10C with 1 x R3R just east of Tskhinvali

7.Shot down an A10C with 1 x R3R over Tskhinvali

-

8.Shot down a Ka-50 with 2 x R60M over Dzvhari

9.Shot down a Ka-50 with guns just south of Dzvhari

-

10.Shot down an Su-25T with 2 x R60M just north of Kislovodsk

---

Find Ka-50's by going very low. Two of them gave themselves away by firing their main gun.

Edited by TurboHog

'Frett'

so I've started these from when i first engage the enemy, and they stop right after i kill it.

keep a close eye on my rwr right at the beginning of the video, he's the one I'm hunting, i dived down to take cover behind that hill, hoping he'd zoom towards me right into my missiles, and he did....

as for the 2nd one... pretty self explanatory

both kills are F-15s.

Finally had my first fighter kill on 159 just now. Is there anyway to view the replay? There were 2 F-15s, and me with a friendly F-15. He fired an AIM-120 at me, from probably about 8nm, I went defensive and my F-15 got into a dogfight with his buddy, I turned back on the target as my F-15 splashed the other F-15. So I went into AFB to follow the other F-15 who thought he could escape me(lol), fired a couple R-3R to make him go defensive(didn't work, he ended up killing 2 of my allies), and fired my last missile in range. I was scared I was going to lose lock so I didn't use my first missiles effectively, so only my last missile I was sure of, though not really. It was a miracle that it hit. But it was fun. Very satisfying. so much adrenaline :joystick::joystick:

Classic MiG-21 ambush...was this against PvP or AI?

PVP. Ikr, he's pretty amazing.

EDIT: ok heres my go

i admit its not pretty lol

Edited by lucien

nice one, you were way out in the open, but you caught him off guard and made him feel like running away rather than fighting back, using the enemies panic worked :D

did you manage to escape from that flat scary place alive?

also, whats with that awacs monitor thing? do i have that? seems kinda cheating to me? mind you, against aim-120c's nothing is cheating lol

I don't mind somewhat flat women, but when it comes to staying alive in the mig-21, flying over flat land is like continuously launching fireworks that can be seen from 150km away... i only do it when I'm using myself as bait, so that's why i find that position scary.

anyway, good kill, better than mine was... first missile loses radar, 2nd dumb fires, end up having to use my guns cause i can't figure out the R-60Ms....

Edited by Hadwell

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]