DCS: A-10C Warthog

Namenlos Ein

I am really looking forward to the A-10C module, because this is one of my favorite aircraft. I grew up with these birds and had them flying around my hometown all day. I can't wait to fly serious CAS missions in a complex simulation environment.

Is there a plan to release the manual before the software release? That would be cool, because one could get familiar with all things prior to the official release.

By the way - The Warthog book is awesome!

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A-10's FM better than Ka-50's? You sure know how to tease but can you reveal at least one significant difference? Nice pic btw http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/68/A-10_Thunderbolt_II_Gun_Run.JPEG

CAS is a lot more involved than VBR AA. For starters, you need to locate the target visually. Then you need to aquire the target with an optical sensor. Then you need to maneuver in a confined, usually NOE, usually threat heavy, environment, to get the optimum attack angle and direction. All of this, visually.

In BVR scenarios, all that matters is AWACS, radar quality, missile quality, and sheer numbers...

Being skilled in missile evasion will go some way to prolonging your lifespan as well. Keeping track of a fully three dimensional combat space isn't cakewalk either. (With a CAS you know where your targets will be - on the ground...)

Then introduce some electronic warfare and you have to deal with all of that at the same time as you are trying to get through the interference.

Summation: this whole stuff of which type of flight is more involved is just silly. It all varies from flight to flight and the scenarios you run into are different beyond comparison. Apples and oranges. (Though for myself I must say that I always found ground attack aircraft, be it fixed or rotary wing, to be much more fun to fly. And the best (modern) air combat I ever had was flying an Su-25T in LOMAC, a campaign I made myself, where I was intercepted by Mig-31's. Trying to dogfight to save my life in the 25T was FUN! :D )

Edited by EtherealN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

??? Maybe Im missing something, but I have landed a KA-50 on a carrier, and they WILL rearm and refuel you.

LOL you need a Carrier to land the KA-50..come on Carrier's are for fixed wings jets...not choppers...frigates can accomodate the KA-50

If you need a carrier to land your KA-50(chopper) I suggest to practice abit more on your landing skills...a chopper does not need a 1000 feet for a nice landing..all it needs is the length of the chopper..or less

So DCS if you are putting the Carrier's in this sim then add Carrier landable planes also..but make sure you research all Carrier landable planes that are able to land on Carrier's not just a select few..go all the way:pilotfly:

LOL you need a Carrier to land the KA-50..come on Carrier's are for fixed wings jets...not choppers...frigates can accomodate the KA-50

If you need a carrier to land your KA-50(chopper) I suggest to practice abit more on your landing skills...a chopper does not need a 1000 feet for a nice landing..all it needs is the length of the chopper..or less

So DCS if you are putting the Carrier's in this sim then add Carrier landable planes also..but make sure you research all Carrier landable planes that are able to land on Carrier's not just a select few..go all the way:pilotfly:

There are plenty of "carrier landable" planes included, but they are AI only. Are you implying that they should only include units that can be controlled by the player? Either way, I think you're missing the point in a big way.

ED will add carrier aircraft if the get a contract stating someone wants a carrier aircraft.

And then they'll add -THAT- aircraft ... not the entire fleet ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

There are plenty of "carrier landable" planes included, but they are AI only. Are you implying that they should only include units that can be controlled by the player? Either way, I think you're missing the point in a big way.

LOL I am not missing any point bud, what good is AI only Carrier capable...there should be controlled(by player) included...as I believe the big point you think I am missing is about the thread start of a A-10...no I haven't I have only been posting on other views of add-ons...

With including Carrier based(controlled by player) planes would increase the community to embrace Black Shark even more so...

Edited by Bearitall

LOL I am not missing any point bud, what good is AI only Carrier capable...there should be controlled(by player) included...as I believe the big point you think I am missing is about the thread start of a A-10...no I haven't I have only been posting on other views of add-ons...

With including Carrier based(controlled by player) planes would increase the community to imbrace Black Shark even more so...

Then perhaps I'm missing your point. So you're saying that, as long as the unit can not be controlled by a human, then it should be omitted? Does this apply to ground vehicles as well?

as I believe the big point you think I am missing is about the thread start of a A-10...no I haven't I have only been posting on other views of add-ons...

No that is not what I was saying. What does the A-10C have to do with carrier aircraft?

With including Carrier based(controlled by player) planes would increase the community to imbrace Black Shark even more so...

Well, there is a very long list of things that would further please the DCS community. ED has already released a tentative list of the aircraft they plan to model in the future, I believe you'll find it in one of the stickies above. The point is, each aircraft is an immense undertaking and takes almost a year to produce, and we will never, ever be at the point where everything you can think of has been simulated to the DCS standard. So you can either accept that, or go play LOMAC, or any one of the other survey sims out there.

GGTharosc, thanks for the post.

I take it the contract means that we will have to pay ED the extra time to do the coding for the carrier?

We are currently part of the Lock-on community and we were looking forward to progressing from Lock-On to DCS modules.I myself have DCS: Black Shark, though i might add is the best flight sim game i have ever played, period. The only reason why we are asking is that if there is just one plane available, we can do the models, skins etc which we make available to the public, as previous http://www.carrierpilots.com/

So, if there is only AI controlled carriers available (currently) for the DCS range, when the new tool sets are released with DCS A10, is it possible to convert the AI to player able carriers? OR does the coding need to be implemented straight from the ground up?

It will be a shame if this is not possible....but hey, looks like we may have to wait abit longer

Hotty

Then perhaps I'm missing your point. So you're saying that, as long as the unit can not be controlled by a human, then it should be omitted? Does this apply to ground vehicles as well?

No that is not what I was saying. What does the A-10C have to do with carrier aircraft?

Well, there is a very long list of things that would further please the DCS community. ED has already released a tentative list of the aircraft they plan to model in the future, I believe you'll find it in one of the stickies above. The point is, each aircraft is an immense undertaking and takes almost a year to produce, and we will never, ever be at the point where everything you can think of has been simulated to the DCS standard. So you can either accept that, or go play LOMAC, or any one of the other survey sims out there.

Okay Junior, of course DCS can never embrace all aircraft..they should just improve on what was started with Lock On Flaming Cliffs..and they have had a long time working on it...what they have done is leave the Flight sim of Lock On and moved to Choppers..leaving their most valued members in the cold...while other sims improved on their flight sims..Lock On was dead in the water...while members were asking for new patches..amongst other things...no game/sim should ever be stopped being improved on..it is a ever changing environment of flight.

• Like 1

GGTharosc, thanks for the post.

I take it the contract means that we will have to pay ED the extra time to do the coding for the carrier?

No, it means the modules that are coming out are based on contracted military work - thus the high fidelity.

We are currently part of the Lock-on community and we were looking forward to progressing from Lock-On to DCS modules.I myself have DCS: Black Shark, though i might add is the best flight sim game i have ever played, period. The only reason why we are asking is that if there is just one plane available, we can do the models, skins etc which we make available to the public, as previous http://www.carrierpilots.com/

As you probably know, there will be additional modules in the future, starting with the A-10C.

So, if there is only AI controlled carriers available (currently) for the DCS range, when the new tool sets are released with DCS A10, is it possible to convert the AI to player able carriers? OR does the coding need to be implemented straight from the ground up?

I know there's a desire on ED's part to release 3rd party addon tools/SDKs, but since those haven't been completed I really can't answer your question.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Have you read the DCS FAQ by any chance? :)

DCS is NOT Lock On. The Lock On title belongs to Ubisoft, not ED.

DCS is a new thing; yeah, it uses a modified version of the LO graphics engine, and AI code, and a bunch of other bits here and there.

I'm not going to go into a lengthy description of what the new parts in DCS are, and what the vision is - you can find that out yourself by reading the material on the site, and searching these very forums.

Okay Junior, of course DCS can never embrace all aircraft..they should just improve on what was started with Lock On Flaming Cliffs..and they have had a long time working on it...what they have done is leave the Flight sim of Lock On and moved to Choppers..leaving their most valued members in the cold...while other sims improved on their flight sims..Lock On was dead in the water...while members were asking for new patches..amongst other things...no game/sim should ever be stopped being improved on..it is a ever changing environment of flight.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm sorry, but unless you're paying a subscription or are some way part of ED development, then you really don't have a say as to what, when or how they release. You're just buying a product.. it's like any other item, be it book, movie or a chocolate bar.

ED don't owe us, let alone obliged, to cater to us.

Any new teasers for the A-10-Module? :D

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

ED will be ready to talk about the A-10C module probably in the summer.

Northern or Southern Hemisphere?

:P

• Like 2

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Hopefully GA's Project10 will tease us for what is coming up. But so far, we're happy with the screenies of the pit and model - looks very promising!

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD