DCS P-51D QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

Is there a down side to opening the radiator coolant/oil and leaving them open? I've had a lot less over heating since I managed to figure it out.

Sorry if this has been answered before but I searched and didn't find anything, even in the manual I have printed out. :thumbup:

What sort of temperatures are you getting? Under what flight conditions? Have you set your radiator & oil flaps to Automatic?

Normal temperatures should be around 100-110° (maximum = 120°) for coolant; 70-80° (maximum 105°) for oil; oil pressure = 70-80 psi.

I think when we get bombers (AI or flyable :music_whistling:), we should get a 100/150 Octane P-51.

That sounds like a very long time for a change that would not be that time consuming, I think it could be done much faster than that.

But anyway, thank you Crumpp and Sithspawn for your answers.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

Effte,

Was that in relation to keeping radiator open?

Friedrich,

Normal for me is being right at the edge of killing my engine when it comes to coolant and oil. So I usually feel I am not getting all the power I can running at max cruise to keep the plane well under overheating.

Right after take off my coolant temp is almost maxed out. So I open up the radiator and leave it there for the remainder of my flight and I have no problems running max continuous. Should I toss it back into auto?

Oil pressure is super high also but I've found that holding the oil dilute brings it back down to inside the norm.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I7 4790K / EVGA 1080ti SC / 32GB DDR3 / 1TB SSD / Oculus Rift S / X-56 / MFG Crosswind V2 / ButtKicker + Simshaker for Aviators

Normal for me is being right at the edge of killing my engine when it comes to coolant and oil. So I usually feel I am not getting all the power I can running at max cruise to keep the plane well under overheating.

Right after take off my coolant temp is almost maxed out. So I open up the radiator and leave it there for the remainder of my flight and I have no problems running max continuous. Should I toss it back into auto?

Oil pressure is super high also but I've found that holding the oil dilute brings it back down to inside the norm.

Without knowing the procedures you follow it's hard to know why you're experiencing overheating.

Just looking at the DCS manual, everything is in accordance with WW2 vintage Pilot's Flight Operating Instructions for P-51Ds, so if you follow the instructions, there shouldn't be any problems with overheating. Oil dilution shouldn't have to be used under normal circumstances.

First thing to do is check whether you aren't missing out a step or two, either in your pre-start checks for the engine or during your start and take-off procedures

Eg: under Preflight Check both DCS and the WW2 manual say Oil and coolant radiator air control switches set to AUTOMATIC or words to similar effect

Start Up: (immediately after starting the engine) Check that oil pressure reaches at least 50 psi within 30 seconds (NB: this ensures that the oil is circulating properly)

Idle at about 1200-1300 RPM until the oil temperature reaches 40°C and the oil pressure is steady.

Also, here are the genuine Flight Operating Instructions;

NorthAmericanP-51D-5PilotsInstructions21_zps72a2c40f.jpg

NorthAmericanP-51D-5PilotsInstructions22_zpse73022f4.jpg

NorthAmericanP-51D-5PilotsInstructions23_zps532c535c.jpg

Other members might have some ideas as well. :book:

The other obvious engine killer is... Are you leaving the RPM and manifold pressure at max after takeoff?

You should not climb to altitude after takeoff at max power, after 500' you need to reduce the throttle back to 46" of manifold at 2700 RPM.

Friedrich,

I went over all the Pre and start up. But I found my mistake:

- Check oil pressure

- oil temp to 40C

- suction gauge

- after the engine is warmed up, idle at 1000 rpm or slightly less. This keeps the engine clean but not too hot.

Worked like a charm!

Mike,

Before I was going straight to max cruise. I'll give that a try also.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I7 4790K / EVGA 1080ti SC / 32GB DDR3 / 1TB SSD / Oculus Rift S / X-56 / MFG Crosswind V2 / ButtKicker + Simshaker for Aviators

Friedrich,

I went over all the Pre and start up. But I found my mistake:

- Check oil pressure

- oil temp to 40C

- suction gauge

- after the engine is warmed up, idle at 1000 rpm or slightly less. This keeps the engine clean but not too hot.

Worked like a charm!

Glad I could be of some help. Now that that's sorted, there's some pesky 109s & 190s that need lottsa .50 cal holes to help ventilate the airframe..:pilotfly:

Edited by Friedrich-4/B

• 2 weeks later...
Question re Trim adjustment speed.

Hi Guys.

Great product and real fun to fly.

My question is about the speed of response to changes in trim controls. I use 3 potentiometers connected to a Leo Bodnar card for elevator, rudder and aileron trim. This works absolutely fine in FSX with the A2A P51 but the trim wheels respond very slowly in the P51 in DCS.

I use a Force Feedback joystick so can feel when the right level of trim is reached however there is too much lag between making an adjustment and the wheels reaching the new position. Any ideas why this is.

Many thanks

silvergh0st

Just in case anyone else is interested in the response from the support team here it is:

'Not a bug.

This lag introduced specially, because maximum rotation speed is limited in real aircraft. You can't momentary set trimmers to desired position. It works as intended.'

This doesn't accurately reflect the observed behaviour as the knobs start rotating slowly and then speed up and as always it is this acceleration that causes problems as you end up with more adjustment than you want. The only way to get reasonable behaviour is to make several smaller changes. A consistent linear limited speed would be better.

I have a problem with the P51 and the 190 Dora as I don't have rudder control in the missions. They work in the training? Anyone help me with this?

PCALEX

First rule of any issues with controls: Check your bindings in options.

Second rule: Double check your bindings.

As an aside, I think the training missions force you into sim mode (where controls are set up by default), but your options menu might default you to game mode for any other mission type and you might not have bindings set.

• 2 months later...

Complete newbie here ... with general questions

76-year-old aviator, retired. About five hours in -51, 16K in all, old cropduster. Needless to say, the -51 was the one I HAD to fly. THE most incredible machine!

Anyway, how does all this work please? It appears that one must be online to fly a 'mission', alone?

Once I've purchased a 'module', the -51 unit for example, is that it for costs, other than hardware? Or must you pay each time you 'fly'?

As for accolades ... the software/realism is truly amazing. I've enjoyed the ancient old European theater MS Combat Sim (flying the Mustang of course), and wonder if this sim can be operated as that one was/is ... doing combat with ME109s and FWs. etc.

Thank you.

Check six all ...

Grey

• Like 1

Anyway, how does all this work please? It appears that one must be online to fly a 'mission', alone?

Once I've purchased a 'module', the -51 unit for example, is that it for costs, other than hardware? Or must you pay each time you 'fly'?

As for accolades ... the software/realism is truly amazing. I've enjoyed the ancient old European theater MS Combat Sim (flying the Mustang of course), and wonder if this sim can be operated as that one was/is ... doing combat with ME109s and FWs. etc.

Once you purchase a module, you can fly it all you want. You get 10 activations which are used when you need to re-download the software (such as if you get a new computer). I'm pretty sure your activations get replenished every so often so it is really never an issue.

There is plenty of single player content included, such as single missions and a campaign. You do not need to be online to play single player. You can also play multi-player, where there are some really good WWII servers.

Also, other people have made plenty of user created missions and other content for the P-51 that you can download for free.

Edited by Ultra

Thanks so much Ultra. It's sounding more and more like this is something I need to get into. Meaning, a very much updated, improved version of that old MS thing I've enjoyed so much over the years. Certainly worth the up-front costs of the software. Have good tech expertise available to help set up a machine.

Anyway ... thanks again.

Your welcome :)

You may find the stock single player missions and campaign not as immersive as some of the older WWII games since DCS leans more towards a "sandbox" feel, but I think DCS more than makes up for that with the spot on physics, user created content, and especially the multi-player.

Thanks so much Ultra. It's sounding more and more like this is something I need to get into. Meaning, a very much updated, improved version of that old MS thing I've enjoyed so much over the years. Certainly worth the up-front costs of the software.

You can try the TF-51D (two-seat P-51 without guns) for free, for as long as you like. If you like it, and want to have the guns & rockets & bombs, and/or want to support the sim's development, then buy the P-51D module. IMO, it's worth every penny & more, but you do have the option to try before you buy.

The first time I ever installed DCS, it took me seven hours to get my control bindings and my cameras set up how I wanted them. Admittedly, not everyone goes to this length of customization, but DCS is a fine sim with a not-so-fine shell, if you know what I mean. If you require assistance with getting your controls/cameras set up, PM me and I'd be happy to try to get on voice to help.

I'm pretty sure your activations get replenished every so often so it is really never an issue.

You start with 10 activations and 10 deactivations. If you deactivate before uninstalling, activating the new install doesn't take up an activation. After you're all out of activations, a new activation becomes available every month. So, assuming you install DCS once a year, you should be good for 20 years, and after that, you might have to wait a few weeks if you have to install it twice within a month.

Edited by Echo38

Thanks for all the pleasant responses.

I had to chuckle at the notion that I'd be good for "20 years" ... umm ... let's see ... that would make 96?? Yeah, I would love to still be pushing a -51 around then. But I kinda doubt it.

Have enjoyed a few of the vids. And yeah ... am sure I'd need much help 'setting up' stuff. And thanks too, for the generous offers to help. As to costs ... I am amazed at the low price for this software, given the obvious enormous amount of research and programming it's taken to achieve. I agree Echo ... well worth the tariff. Though, seems the issue may be costs of the techy hardware stuff. Have a brother who's an industrial controls designer, so he'll be great with machine control, and he can advise.

I also appreciated the comparison by Ultra to the older sims. That was helpful.

Have to progress slowly here ... but will be working on it. Just can't get over the visuals, the imagery ... mind-boggling.

Check six all ...

grey

Have to progress slowly here ... but will be working on it. Just can't get over the visuals, the imagery ... mind-boggling.

Check six all ...

grey

If you have any hardware questions in the future, there are sections on this forum for asking and the guys that help out on here are rediculously knowledgeable.

Also, if you think the graphics are good now, just wait until DCS 2.0 comes out (hopefully in the next few months, it keeps getting delayed) the graphics are going to get a lot better. If you want to take a look there are plenty of videos and screenshots around the forum showcasing it. It's really quite incredible!

• 4 weeks later...

on 22:30

...Every 10th shell was a tracer, near the end of the ammo, every shell was a tracer to warn the pilot that they were short of ammo...

is this modeled in the Sim?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
Win11x64, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080Ti, i5-8600K OC4.5 GHz, 120GB SSD INTEL 530, SAMSUNG SSD 850 EVO 250G, 1TB HDD WD RED, MSI Z370-A PRO, Cougar AQUA 360 CPU cooler, Kingston 2x32GB DDR4 3800MHz, 4K LG 50" Monitor, Meta Quest Pro VR, Orion2 HOTAS MAX,Orion Metal Flight Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition), GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT.