Saitek X55 grip-to-base connection

Hello x55 users.

I have finally gotten do making my F-18 grip project X55 compatible also.

1_zps4da66900.jpg~original

On the electronics side, everything is cleared up, I would just like to ask for some info before I go out and buy one these for testing:

1) Can anyone identify the thread size that connects the grip to the base.

2) Size/diameter of the male pins on the grip. Are they just regular pins that stay in place, or they get pushed in by the plates on the base. I cannot see clearly on the pictures available

12295522703_451973a579_b_zps42fa4c4c.jpg~original

Edited by hegykc

The pins push into the stick whilst the base remains in place, will have the thread size in approx. 12 hours least someone gets to it before me.

• Like 1

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

I don´t have precision instruments but :

Pin: 1.8 / 2 mm (+- 0.1 mm )

Thread: 3.6 cm (+- 1mm )

Edited by Esac_mirmidon

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

They just couldn't go with regular pins.. great.

Well, found those too, now just need the pin diameter and thread size.

They had to be special. unfortunately with a capital R.

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

M36 x 1.5 is the closest standard, and most likely thread. (measured by myself) it is absolutely 1.5 pitch, very close diameters to a nominal M36.

Something like one of these is the spring loaded pin:

https://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/connectors-interconnects/contacts-spring-loaded-and-pressure/1442508?FV=1140050%2Cfff40016%2Cfff802cc&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=1000011&page=1&stock=0&pbfree=0&rohs=0&k=pogo+pins&quantity=1&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25&pkeyword=pogo+pins

I don't know the layout or size of the pins, but I was also investigating.

• 2 weeks later...

On further investigation, the thread profile is also non standard. It is actually quite square (even more so than acme)rather than a 60* triangle. I Modeled up a test nut and printed it yesterday, while the print didn't reproduce perfect threads, support material being impossible, they where sufficient to work!t47gBGd.jpg

I've made some more advances. I replicated just the engagement (no picture), and it fit perfectly so I continued and designed the rest of the male portion including the socket engagement, room for the PCB and the shaft. I also used the design for the test nut and designed a nut that would hold the socket as it should.

Overall strength I'm sure could be an issue, but for now it seems robust. I'm going to complete the PCBs today (mill them), and then design the female socket for the top of the extension.

wbKUowG.jpg

KfOMkyI.jpg

When I'm done this I'll probably share my work through some open license for people to print their own.

Right now it's just an extension, but I've had it in mind to make a custom su-27 inspired stick. Not as a replica, just a style choice. I like to keep my equipment generic and flexible.

That would be great! I suggest you open new (your) theme to help us track your work. Maybe you could make the flight stick for the F-18 also, because I think hegykc, now his project put aside.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Everything is possible ...

I think you're right, I'll be opening a thread soon and start documenting (pictures) more too.

Yesterday I did turn a 9" x .75"dia aluminium tube to fit the socket. While I didn't have the grip or buttons of any kind, I did fly the mi-8 with the end of the pipe and it was fabulous, finger tip precision.

Just do to my personal setup (desk, chair, mounting etc) I think the best length will be closer to 8" for me. I won't adjust that until the extension is completed and I know it's too long for sure.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I've had some success with the extension and issues.

To be 3d printed Nylon was a must for the replica of the base's threads on the top of the extension. With other materials the thin ring of plastic (the threaded part) would shear off. Nylon was not ideal, as it isn't very ridged but it is very tough, and very good layer adhesion.

At 8" of extension, center play was considerable, but the center wasn't so important anymore. The heaviest spring was a good load.

Fitting a PCB with pogo pins and fitting it into the extension assembly was very tedious.

My extension didn't have a bend, and because the stick had to be so far away (base size), it was uncomfortable to use for long when center mounted.

If I remember when I get home I'll throw up the models, it is sized for a 3/4" shaft + extra because printers/slicers tend to under-size holes.

• 6 months later...

I found this link: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1767844 which includes 3d printable models of both the female and male side of the proprietary connector. They also cover the pin connectors themselves.

As to the pinouts, i've sorted some of them out. It looks like 4 pins are the 4 wire SPI lines from the SPI slave up at the top of the stick - SCLK, MOSI, MISO, and maybe a CS. In addition I found 2 ground pins and a 5V VCC. Finally there are 2 pins that are the output from the twist yaw potentiometer. That only adds up to 9, so I'm not sure what the 10th was.

My next step is to hook up a logic analyzer and see if I can decode the SPI messages between the base and the stick and add something to the teensy usb joystick code.

• 5 years later...
On 2/5/2018 at 9:25 PM, v4ri4ble said:

I found this link: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1767844 which includes 3d printable models of both the female and male side of the proprietary connector. They also cover the pin connectors themselves.

As to the pinouts, i've sorted some of them out. It looks like 4 pins are the 4 wire SPI lines from the SPI slave up at the top of the stick - SCLK, MOSI, MISO, and maybe a CS. In addition I found 2 ground pins and a 5V VCC. Finally there are 2 pins that are the output from the twist yaw potentiometer. That only adds up to 9, so I'm not sure what the 10th was.

My next step is to hook up a logic analyzer and see if I can decode the SPI messages between the base and the stick and add something to the teensy usb joystick code.

10th pin may be a dud as the base for the x56 is the same and has a small joystick on postion C. 

but did  you have any further on this ?