GTX 1060 a 980 killer?

pretty big calims coming out of the new release... i'll be interested to see if it brings VR to the masses better - or at least 4k gaming.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3092193/components-graphics/nvidias-geforce-gtx-1060-is-a-250-gtx-980-killer.html

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

• 3 weeks later...

LOL before that the human eye must be able to see difference between 1080p and 4k AND also 4k screens (bigger than 22") have to get into 150-200$ range first...

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

LOL before that the human eye must be able to see difference between 1080p and 4k

LOL

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

From what I've read so far on the 1060, that card seems to be a pretty sweet deal at the moment. It's nearly in the top 10 in Passmark's GFX-card ranking and I can find some 1060-cards for around €280. All the reviews I could find so far are very positive too and even power consumption and heat generation seem to be pretty good for a card of its capabilities. If I would build a new rig right now, I'm pretty sure I'd go for a 1060 card.

LOL before that the human eye must be able to see difference between 1080p and 4k AND also 4k screens (bigger than 22") have to get into 150-200$ range first...

Really? Hmm.. buddies of mine work in GFX-design/illustration and they upgraded their Macs to one of those large (and insanely expensive) Apple 4k monitors. The difference to 1080 is *quite* noticeable. Perhaps not as big a difference as between, say, 1024x768 and 1080, but it's definitely a marked improvement.

Sure: You need a large enough screen to really get the most out of 4k, so I would agree on the monitor-pricing issue. The Apple-monitor I mentioned was something like €1500 - €2000 (silly Apple, lol).

But that was about a year ago and Apple... today I can find this:

http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/39-5Zoll--100-33cm--iiyama-ProLite-X4071UHSU-B1-schwarz-3840x2160-1xDisp_1024829.html

40'' panel with 4K resolution for a pretty reasonable €550. Still too expensive for my taste, but so were larger 1080-panels just a few years ago. OTOH, a monitor is probably the one PC-component that you will use the longest. I still have my old Syncmaster 23'' in use as a second screen and that thing is now at least 6 years old.

When you compare a large enough 4k TV with a 1080 TV of similar size side by side, you'll see what all the fuss is about with 4k-tech. And while I'm not sure I'd need a 4k TV in my living room anytime soon to replace my 1080-one, I would definitely go for a 4k-monitor for my PC as soon as the larger panels become more affordable. Especially for flight-sims, the resolution can't be high enough and the screen can't be large enough, IMO.

When I watch some of the in-game videos I shoot in the sims I fly on my 46'' TV, I wish I had a monitor this large for gaming - even though my TV is just 1080.

S.

Edited by 1Sascha

Can't you connect your PC to your TV?

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Can't you connect your PC to your TV?

Technically I could. Both my GFX-card and TV have HDMI. :)

But since the PC and TV are in two different rooms and there's no way for me to set up my HOTAS in the living-room ....

Plus: Even though my TV has a "gaming mode", I'm not sure it would be that great to play on. For starters: Reaction time is much slower than on either of my two monitors.

S.

I think both 4k monitors and VR headsets will need to get cheaper as well first, but this is a step forward. I don't think the 1060 will be pushing 4k very well though. Even 1080's are having trouble locking 60fps in 4k at high/ultra settings in the newest games, and we all know how people flip out if they can't run max settings.

I see this argument posted all over the place and I can promise you I can see a marked difference... For those that can't... (I am sorry for you?)

:(

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

I see this argument posted all over the place and I can promise you I can see a marked difference... For those that can't... (I am sorry for you?)

:(

I agree:thumbup: the 1080p to 4K I can see. the only real problem why I have not swung to 4k was that I really want VR too! Right now all my target rez for my monitors are forced in to 2560x1440. The higher the res the less MSAA you need to smooth the lines out. so its not the big of a drain on the video ram.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I find 4K to be a waste of GPU power. To me the 2560x1440 (on 32") is an ideal combo - does not drain GPU, and provides great resolution/FOV. For the 1080p - I would say anything that is bigger than 27" is not acceptable in terms of the pixel density.

• Like 1

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

:lol:

My eyes can and I am 57 years old with far less than perfect vision. I have a 4k monitor on my sim rig and I can assure you that there is a significant visible difference to even my aged eyes.

As for the price, just wait about four years, maybe less.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

For the 1080p - I would say anything that is bigger than 27" is not acceptable in terms of the pixel density.

Yup. I have an Asus 27''/1080 monitor and that combo is pushing it WRT pixel-density (or lack thereof) :D.

S.

But with anti aliasing in DCS, what would be the VISIBLE difference between DCS in 1080 or 4k ?? (OTHER than smaller menus...)

But with anti aliasing in DCS, what would be the VISIBLE difference between DCS in 1080 or 4k ?? (OTHER than smaller menus...)

Better image.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

what is getting better is an overall 'image quality' due to an increased pixel density.

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

But isn't DCS not programmed to 4k (that the cockpit model will not reveal increased detail) ?