Squadrons' ensigns?

Hi guys.

I noticed that Royal Air Force have got their own method for determining planes. I don't know what it excatly means but I suspect it shows type of squadron which the plane belongs to.

Look at this photo. You can notice that the first and 2nd Typhoon have got different ensigns ( squadron roundel and coat of arms ). Please, give me some informations if you know something about it. Is there any site which describes it?

eb2f021d8f92.jpg

22f75aba013a.jpg

5e0e3f43045d.jpg

Edited by Valium

The RAF's website has details on Sqn markings for all currently active squadrons IIRC

http://www.raf.mod.uk/organisation/squadrons.cfm

Wikipedia usually has them too.

And a great resource for historic info is RAFWeb. Though thr website itself looks VERY dated. This is what I used to come up with my avatar... A fictional No.615 Lightning. You will see how much variety there used to be. We'll probably be seeing a few changes to the older squadrons soon too... They have often had special anniversary liveries.

http://www.rafweb.org/Organsation/Org-index.htm#Squadrons

Thank you for these informations.

I must admit that RAF have got extraordinary method for determining planes and I've never seen something like it.

I noticed this page you wrote about Random has got informations about 317 sqn. - my uncle serviced there during World War II. It's nice to see it.

By the way, he was born exactly 100 years ago ( 30 III 1915 ) but he passed away in 1984.

• Like 1

In service with:

3 Squadron 12 x Typhoon FGR4 RAF Coningsby

11 Squadron 12 x Typhoon FGR4 RAF Coningsby

17 ® Squadron 12 x Typhoon FGR4 RAF Coningsby

29 ® Squadron 12 x Typhoon FGR4 RAF Coningsby

1 (F) Squadron 12 x Typhoon FGR4 RAf Lossiemouth (Leuchars until 2014)

6 Squadron 12 x Typhoon FGR4 RAf Lossiemouth (Leuchars until 2014)

• 5 weeks later...