How hard is this plane to fly?

Catastrophy

I'm flying the A10C for two months now. I'm beginning to improve very slightly, I take one subject at a time and try to master that in all aspects. After startup I started with mavs. And yes, I know, I should be doing the other basic stuff first.. but I LOVE the mavs.

After this, I have a tremendous lot of other things to do, the CDU, the complete understanding of the HUD, CCIP, CCRP, etc. etc..

Also have the Huey (which I can fly) and the Black Shark (which I can't even start). But I love the hog more and more and will try to improve in this bird.

And maybe, maybe.. after a long time.. I'll join a squad. But first things first.

Hi all - new to DCS and the A10 but I'm loving it, complicated as it is. Since this is "easy to fly thread" I guess I'll ask here -- I'm finding the A10 to be so twitchy, it takes a ton just to hold a level turn let alone hold a steady line on a target (invariably you get this PIO trying to make small corrections) No way the real plane flies like this so I'm wondering, what settings are used for the joystick? Sensitivity? Dead zone? For now I'm using a TM stick/throttle (Warthog stick/throttle on order) and it just takes so much tweaking to hold level if you divert your eyes for even a few seconds. Something I'm missing here? For reference I'm a 6000 hr corporate pilot so I have a pretty good idea of sensitivities - with the setup as it is moving the stick even a fraction of an inch gets a good input going. IS this simply how it is??

Thanks in advance - I would like to figure this bad boy out cause the sim as a whole looks pretty awesome!

Hi all - new to DCS and the A10 but I'm loving it, complicated as it is. Since this is "easy to fly thread" I guess I'll ask here -- I'm finding the A10 to be so twitchy, it takes a ton just to hold a level turn let alone hold a steady line on a target (invariably you get this PIO trying to make small corrections) No way the real plane flies like this so I'm wondering, what settings are used for the joystick? Sensitivity? Dead zone? For now I'm using a TM stick/throttle (Warthog stick/throttle on order) and it just takes so much tweaking to hold level if you divert your eyes for even a few seconds. Something I'm missing here? For reference I'm a 6000 hr corporate pilot so I have a pretty good idea of sensitivities - with the setup as it is moving the stick even a fraction of an inch gets a good input going. IS this simply how it is??

Thanks in advance - I would like to figure this bad boy out cause the sim as a whole looks pretty awesome!

Welcome to the community.

I'm not professional pilot, so can't talk about flight model from my real life experience, but general opinion here is that A-10C flight model is pretty accurate.

If you feel that your current joystick is too sensitive, go into axis options and set S curve. Default is linear. play with parameters.

About WM Warthog HOTAS. I think you choose well. I'm keeping default linear sensitivity. The only issue I had, I felt the stick is too short so when I mount it on the chair he was too low. So I extended it with custom metal tube. (Here on the forum are some guys which is selling them.) In that way, I achieved several good things: better precision, less stickiness, more natural position.

Edit:

About TM Warthog stickiness and greasing fun, please refere to this thread:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80787&highlight=warthog+greasing

Edited by marluk
[B]*NOB* Lucky[/B] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Tko vrijedi leti, tko leti vrijedi, tko ne leti ne vrijedi

If you are having PIO problems, definitely set a curve in your stick axes and even pedals. The value depends on every controller, but i guess between 10 and 20 is the most common. If the joystick is "sticky" and you feel hard to do very small movements, also try some grease in the contact areas to smooth it.

Those two things (along with good good trimming, ofc) helped me a lot with refueling.

OTOH, if you are concentrated doing other tasks, you have a very simple AP with three modes that can be very helpful:

PATH - allows you to keep a climb or descent angle, wings level.

ALT/HDG - maintains barometric altitude and magnetic heading

ALT - mantains barometric altitude and banking angle (very useful, e.g. it allows you to orbit while doing other task like setting up stuff or looking for contacts.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hard to verify engine thrust, but the parameters is pretty far from the RL engine. So is flame outs that "disappeared" in a patch and some other stuff. Aerodynamically I think the FM seems ok. But I'm pretty sure the engines aren't good enough to be called PFM unfortunately. But I'd be happy if I was wrong. This issue seems to have gone unnoticed by a major part of the community. But I know that ED knows about the issues. Official response would be nice.

i7 8700K | GTX 1080 Ti | 32GB RAM | 500GB M.2 SSD | TIR5 w/ Trackclip Pro | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder

[sigpic]http://www.132virtualwing.org[/sigpic]

Yes, but it's not easy to see if the thrust is wrong. I'm not qualified enough to do those calculations and tests. Nor do I have all performance data, I only know max ITT and FAN.

But it's obvious that the engine model is wrong in either way.

i7 8700K | GTX 1080 Ti | 32GB RAM | 500GB M.2 SSD | TIR5 w/ Trackclip Pro | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder

[sigpic]http://www.132virtualwing.org[/sigpic]

Thanks guys, good advice & suggestions. Took some time to read through some threads & FAQ and found a suggested setting change - I like it better already :thumbup:

Looking forward to the Hog Stick/Throttle but that whole stiction fix is already worrying me - hope I don't you-know-what the pooch when i try it!

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions!!

• 2 weeks later...

As of today I can somewhat reliably drop GBUs on unsuspecting targets and sometimes even lock on with Mavs. I fired 3 on different targets scoring each a kill last week end. (In one run!) It was a pain in the ass because the stations didn't launch alternating from port and starboard. Did I take different Mav versions?

While doing so I created about two dozen waypoints, because I was curious what the TAD button would do.

The toughest thing of it all is finding targets and doing all the right stuff in time. But mostly finding targets without flying into SAM fire while busy examining grey pixels.

The toughest thing of it all is finding targets and doing all the right stuff in time. But mostly finding targets without flying into SAM fire while busy examining grey pixels.

It really depends on the mission and how well you can use DCS to your advantage.

Many A-10C missions include one or more JTACs. While the JTAC comms take forever ("Warrior 1-1, this is Hawg 1-1. I have [detailed list of number of weapons in entire flight] [and so on and so forth]..."), they're a great way to get sensors and eyes right on the top of your unsuspecting targets.

Sometimes when targets are located inside forests or they disperse into forests after an initial attack on them, they're almost invisible. But generally, having a JTAC guide you to your targets beats scanning the area with the TGP for ages.

Of course it also depends on the scenario. Some missions require you to destroy one specific target, others want you to clear an entire patch of ground from all enemy forces without providing much assistance. The latter type I simply hate.

The most joy I've recently had was in MP with a buddy driving HUMVEEs and the like in CA, calling in airstrikes from me and other buddies, marking targets with smoke, providing lasing for laser spot search of LGB-guidance and providing a general picture of the target area, threats, primary and secondary targets and so on.

Of course that means you need a bit of knowledge of the A-10C and its systems, but once you know how to punch target coordinates into the CDU or find targets based on bullseye calls, things start to become fairly straightforward. :)

With this type of MP flying I feel like my A-10C learning curve has just taken quite a few huge steps again. :thumbup:

It really depends on the mission and how well you can use DCS to your advantage.

Many A-10C missions include one or more JTACs. While the JTAC comms take forever ("Warrior 1-1, this is Hawg 1-1. I have [detailed list of number of weapons in entire flight] [and so on and so forth]..."), they're a great way to get sensors and eyes right on the top of your unsuspecting targets.

Sometimes when targets are located inside forests or they disperse into forests after an initial attack on them, they're almost invisible. But generally, having a JTAC guide you to your targets beats scanning the area with the TGP for ages.

Of course it also depends on the scenario. Some missions require you to destroy one specific target, others want you to clear an entire patch of ground from all enemy forces without providing much assistance. The latter type I simply hate.

The most joy I've recently had was in MP with a buddy driving HUMVEEs and the like in CA, calling in airstrikes from me and other buddies, marking targets with smoke, providing lasing for laser spot search of LGB-guidance and providing a general picture of the target area, threats, primary and secondary targets and so on.

Of course that means you need a bit of knowledge of the A-10C and its systems, but once you know how to punch target coordinates into the CDU or find targets based on bullseye calls, things start to become fairly straightforward. :)

With this type of MP flying I feel like my A-10C learning curve has just taken quite a few huge steps again. :thumbup:

Without labels active, I can see how cooperation saves the day.

The A-10C is super easy to fly

My impression is quite the opposite. For example in the take off training tutorial I have problems staying at assigned heading height and speed. At the end of the lesson where I'm supposed to do a 360 deg turn I fail most of the time. The plane simply seem difficult to hand fly and control with any precision.

I use a TM Warthog controller and with that A10C specific controller I would expect the plane to be more easy to fly.

My impression is quite the opposite. For example in the take off training tutorial I have problems staying at assigned heading height and speed. At the end of the lesson where I'm supposed to do a 360 deg turn I fail most of the time. The plane simply seem difficult to hand fly and control with any precision.

I use a TM Warthog controller and with that A10C specific controller I would expect the plane to be more easy to fly.

I didn't have too much trouble with them. In missions I don't really go for precision and accept altitude changes when turning. Especially when I cannot see the horizon properly. I take a bit more care when I hog the ground during attacks, though.

First thing to tweak might be dead zone settings or curvature. I found that really helpful for the Ka50. First thing I did for the A10C was tweaking the rudder deadzone.

You can use Autopilot with ALT option to help you make turns on certain altitude.

Flying is not easy especially in simulator because lack of physical feedback. I suppose in real airplane you have much more feedback of movement and more opportunity to make corrections with less thinking. Anyhow, when someone said that A-10 is easy to fly he thought comparing to the other planes. Try to regularly check instruments while flying and practice will make you better.

For precision flying proficiency properly using instruments is essential. RL pilots have procedures end some good practices according this. If you are interested in using instruments try to search Google with this text: 'Pilot Instrument scan' and you will find some good articles about this topic.

For better handling precision, I recommend you small (about 7-9cm) extension for TM Warthog. In that way you will increase precision while reducing stickiness effect. At the same time you will be able to mount stick on the chair between your legs which is more natural position than keeping it on the desk. Actually I wonder why this extension is not part of an original product. Search the Forum for 'Warthog extension' if you are interested in buying one.

Edited by marluk
[B]*NOB* Lucky[/B] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Tko vrijedi leti, tko leti vrijedi, tko ne leti ne vrijedi

I had the same problems, coming from Il-2 and Falcon 4 SuperPak.

Like any aircraft, the A-10C must be trimmed after most changes (Go faster? Trim. Go slower? Trim. Dive? Trim. Climb? Trim). You could also trim the aircraft to fly a circle with a given bank angle hands-free.

Also, as the training missions state, when banking you should apply some rudder to "keep the ball centered -of course the ball is just an indicator- in the real aircraft you could feel the forces pushing you to the side if you don't fly a coordinated turn.

After all, it comes down to training and muscle memory.

However, in my very first A-10C flight (starting with engines running so I could just get a feel for the aircraft) I managed to take off, fly a circuit and land without doing any damage (or was it "not much damage"? :D). In this regard, the A-10C is one of the easiest to fly aircraft I've ever flown. :thumbup:

It all depends on your point of view. If you (like me) flew a LOT of FSX-like simulators, flying a (full-study) plane in DCS is rather difficult. Flying around in FSX was easy in any plane, and I thought that was because I was flying FS planes for decades. However, starting with DCS and flying the A10C proved that this was quite another flight-modelling than the other sims.

Yes, the A10C is easy to fly. But you have to get used to it, learn what it does. A bit too slow just before touchdown will almost certainly damage your landing gear: result of a too high vertical speed. Firing a missile will result in the need to trim the lighter wing down. And so on. A beautiful simulator with an even more beautiful flight modelling.

And the most important point: it IS so easy to fly, because that is what it needs to be: the flying of the "weapon" has to become second nature: a naturally reaction to your surroundings. When one can fly the thing without too much thinking "what do I have to do next", the crucial stuff comes in: the handling of the weapon platform. That's what's it all about.

Edited by GurbY

It all depends on your point of view. If you (like me) flew a LOT of FSX-like simulators, flying a (full-study) plane in DCS is rather difficult. Flying around in FSX was easy in any plane, and I thought that was because I was flying FS planes for decades. However, starting with DCS and flying the A10C proved that this was quite another flight-modelling than the other sims.

Yes, the A10C is easy to fly. But you have to get used to it, learn what it does. A bit too slow just before touchdown will almost certainly damage your landing gear: result of a too high vertical speed. Firing a missile will result in the need to trim the lighter wing down. And so on. A beautiful simulator with an even more beautiful flight modelling.

And the most important point: it IS so easy to fly, because that is what it needs to be: the flying of the "weapon" has to become second nature: a naturally reaction to your surroundings. When one can fly the thing without too much thinking "what do I have to do next", the crucial stuff comes in: the handling of the weapon platform. That's what's it all about.

Like you I also fly in FSX (P3D2 FSX-SE). Many planes in FSX are study planes for example A2A and PMDG planes. I tried the A10C take of lesson

again yesterday. One thing I find hard with flying this plane is that sometimes I need a lot of control input to make the plane react and also it often moves in a jerky way. Overcoming this by trimming the plane is difficult since it's tricky to estimate how much to trim.

With big non-tapered wings and huge stabilizers I think it's easy to fly. Trimming is personal preference, I usually only toy with aileron trim based on whats on the hardpoints, unless I'm formation flying or air refueling.

With all the capabilities the avionics bring, they take a lot of training to master.

Well, that depends on what kind of planes you were flying in FS. If you fly PMDG, Level-D and that kind of stuff and you do it realistically, flying them like the manuals of the manufacturer and an airline says, calculating takeoff performance with reduced thrust, landing speed, required fuel, etc, I find the A-10C pretty similar in difficulty.

Just the HOTAS controls are a bit weird, but in the end you get used to them.

Then there is the combat stuff, that you don't have in civil aircraft, but that is more of the same.

If we talk just about the flying behaviour of the aircraft, it is pretty noble. Yes, you need to trim, of course. You also need to trim a Cessna 152 and a Boeing 737. No autotrim nor fly-by-wire here.

So, I would say: easy to fly? Yes. Complexity of systems: High. But we should have more complex planes soon in DCS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm enjoying the Ka50 heli very much if that's any indication.

I don't like constantly fiddling trim buttons, so how good do the autopilots take away workload?

Why I want to look at the A10? I'm looking for more sophisticated fiddling around with maps and crazy ordnance while I fly. And I want something good for night missions.

Dude, I just started and was flying the SU-25T during training and I could fly under "power-lines"...

The A-10C is easier to fly than the SU-25T...

This Plane Rocks in all aspects....

Once you close the cockpit, you see what I am talking about...

The A-10 has been deemed the most effective weapon during the entire Iraqi War.

Do your due diligence on the training though, the weapons systems are very complex, take time to learn but man If you dig simulators at all, you will totally Love this plane....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Manfred von Richthofen, better known as the "Red Baron". He scored the most officially accepted kills in World War I and is arguably the most famous flying ace of all time.