Retro Flightsim Blog (by me)

jens198

Hi folks,

I started a little blog where I will write from time to time about my experiences while replaying old combat flightsims. If anyone is interessted, here's the link:

Retro Flightsim Blog

Jens

P.S. Feel free to critisize or to tell what could be made better. Please don't be to hard on me, it's my first blog ;-)

• Like 1

I liked it and I bookmarked it. I am usually a bit disappointed when looking back at old "goldies", they don't look like I remembered them ;)

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

Jens,

Cool, Funny thing...I remember ( since I am 70 ) all the old flight sims. But at the time I did not realize that folks in other countries were also into flight sims. I was really impressed by the Flanker series...for the Amiga which I had. I think I still have 95% of all the flight sims ever released. I have the first sim released for the TRS 80 and also still have all the computers that they ran on.

I remember wondering, "How was it that the best simulator was developed in, at the time, the Soviet Union??" I thought in that country, at that time, the general public did not have access to computers. And an Amiga????

How did they get their hands on an Amiga???

Laz

@lazduc: There was a Flanker Simulator for the Amiga? I thought I had played every single Amiga flight sim. Are you sure you're remembering that correctly? A Google search gives no relevant results whatsoever.

@jens198: Great! Bookmarked. Going to start reading now.

edit: F-16 Combat Pilot was probably my favourite of the Amiga flight sims, btw. Delighted to see it again. I couldn't tell you how many times I read the manual cover to cover. :)

Edited by KesMonkey

Nice work Jens.

I used to "play" F16 combat pilot on the C64, but it was so confusing to me I had no clue what to do! Still, I loaded it up now and again to see if I could do any better and enjoy the cool art work and cockpit! Looking forward to the 8 Bit screens 8) .

Specs: GA-Z87X-UD3H, i7-4770k, 16GB, RTX2060, SB AE-5, 750watt Corsair PSU, X52, Track IR4, Win10x64.

Sim Settings: Textures: ? | Scenes: ? |Water: ? | Visibility Range: ? | Heat Blur: ? | Shadows: ? | Res: 1680x1050 | Aspect: 16:10 | Monitors: 1 Screen | MSAA: ? | Tree Visibility: ? | Vsync: On | Mirrors: ? | Civ Traffic: High | Res Of Cockpit Disp: 512 | Clutter: ? | Fullscreen: On

Hey KesMonkey,

I just dug up some of my Amiga flight sims. Here is what I found....

F-18 Interceptor, F-16 Combat Pilot (EA), Jet, Harrier Combat (Mindscape), Mig-29 (Domark), Falcon, F-29 Retaliator (Ocean) F-15,....Got a few boxes of others somewhere but I think you are correct...I must be having a senior moment...lol... I remember playing a game that I thought was Flanker, on the Amiga....I just looked and I have SSI Flanker..versions 1.0, 2.0, 2.5 and Su-27 Squadron Commander's Edition but they are all for Windows 95.

I am going to look again...but you are probably correct I am probably confusing Mig-29 for the Flanker. Been a while...lol.

Lazduc

I was still impressed that a group in the Soviet Union, during that time, cold war time, could develop such a great simulator. I just purchased a Amiga 3000 to finish my collection...I have the 500, 1000, 2000, 3000 now, and the 4000, and the 1200. A fellow who is a member of the old retro club I go to gave me 4 boxes of Amiga software....I would estimate there are over 10,000 (ten thousand) disks.

I think about one fourth of those are video software for the Video Toaster.

Laz

Thanks for the blog Jens, I'll be sure to keep an eye on this.

I remember trying to run the Combat Pilot on my Atari ST and seeing the pilot image shown as the loading screen, but then it failed because apparently it needed 1 MB of RAM, while my Atari had (or has as it's still in working shape actually) 512 kB only.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

• 1 month later...

Nice blog Jens, i played most of them F16, F15 Strike Eagle II , but most of all the F-19 Stealth Fighter. But its true that when i see vids of it now they dont seem as real, as i remember them.. must be getting old:)

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.