MIG29S and SU27 Radar and Jammer questions ( I am a noob) Thank you

deckard

Hello everyone. I am new to the flight simulators and DCS Series. I have red the manual (Flaming Cliffs 3), looked through on-line forum postings and I still have a

lot of questions. I would really appreciate someone answering those questions for me. Thank you very much i advance. Questions are pertaining to Flaming Cliffs 3 modeling. (i dont know if it is different from other versions or real life).

I am learning to fly SU27 and MIG29S. My questions have to do with the radar and jammer.

1 in SCAN mode - High PRF is for head on approaching target. Medium is for tail engagements (pursuing a target), Auto (IlV) is when the bandit aspect is unknown - it interleaves high and medium PRF.

If I am engaging the bandit from head on, do I keep HPRF all the way? Do i change it when the bandit is close and maneuvering and to what setting? Once i have the STT lock, does changing PRF do anything?

2. Expected target range (with CTRL+ and CTRL-). The default value is 10. I was told on line to change it to 25. Do i always keep it at 25? What about close

engagements? I am very confused by it.

I have set up a mission in the mission editor (head on MIG29S VS F15C, 4000 meters altitude, over mountains, 300 KM from each other. F15 had a jammer on). First I set the expected

target range at 10 KM, and my RWS picked him up at 203 KM. I burned through his radar and locked on to him at 38KM and shot R77 at 20KM and killed him.

I did the same scenario, only that i changed expected target range to 150 KM (with CTRL - and CTRL +). I had the exact same results (burned through his jammer and locked on him at 38KM). Changing the expected target range on the radar did not seem to affect anything (from 10 KM to 150KM)

Can someone please clarify this for me? Does expected target range affect the ability to hold STT lock or does it guide R77 or R27ER better? In what circimstances do I change the expected target range on the radar?

3 . About ECM (In MIG29S). I read on-line that i should keep it off until 40KM to the bandit (not to attract attention). Turn it on, then when i get to the burn through range, turn it off BEFORE the bandit locks me on, in order to avoid HOJ.

Is this true for A-120C, R77, R27-ER? Do they all home in on the jammer? that is Semi Active Radar Misseles and the Active Radar Missiles? I also read the opposite - ECM disrupts A-120C guidance.

Please clarify this for me.

Thank you very much.

Hi, I will try to answer some of your questions to the best of my knowledge :)

1 in SCAN mode - High PRF is for head on approaching target. Medium is for tail engagements (pursuing a target), Auto (IlV) is when the bandit aspect is unknown - it interleaves high and medium PRF.

If I am engaging the bandit from head on, do I keep HPRF all the way? Do i change it when the bandit is close and maneuvering and to what setting? Once i have the STT lock, does changing PRF do anything?

HPFR allows you to detect approaching aircrafts from further away. When the target gets closer, you don't need it anymore, and it may then be better to switch to ILV (somewhere around 40 km sounds reasonable), because it will be less likely to loose the contact should he maneuver.

My advice would be:

- use HI when looking for approaching contacts

- use ILV when looking for unknown aspect contacts, or contacts inside 40 km

- use MED only when you know a contact is trying to run away and you are loosing it in ILV, or if it is notching

I think STT automatically adjusts the PRF (or it has a specific one)? In any case I don't think you can adjust the PRF for STT. I'm not 100% sure on that one.

2. Expected target range (with CTRL+ and CTRL-). The default value is 10. I was told on line to change it to 25. Do i always keep it at 25? What about close

engagements? I am very confused by it.

I have set up a mission in the mission editor (head on MIG29S VS F15C, 4000 meters altitude, over mountains, 300 KM from each other. F15 had a jammer on). First I set the expected

target range at 10 KM, and my RWS picked him up at 203 KM. I burned through his radar and locked on to him at 38KM and shot R77 at 20KM and killed him.

I did the same scenario, only that i changed expected target range to 150 KM (with CTRL - and CTRL +). I had the exact same results (burned through his jammer and locked on him at 38KM). Changing the expected target range on the radar did not seem to affect anything (from 10 KM to 150KM)

Can someone please clarify this for me? Does expected target range affect the ability to hold STT lock or does it guide R77 or R27ER better? In what circimstances do I change the expected target range on the radar?

I know this setting often confuses people, so hear me out. Search range is ONLY used with search altitude setting to determine the antenna elevation. That's it, it doesn't affect the way your radar works at all. What it does is, if you set 40 km range and +4 altitude, is make your radar center on a spot 40 km away and 4000 m above you; you will still see any contact in the conical radar beam, of course.

The thing is to have it at a good setting so that you can scan the sky with the altitude setting without having huge holes in your search patterns (because if you keep the setting at 10 km, each notch in search altitude will change the elevation a whole lot). Personally I use 30 to 40 km, since that is the range where I really want to scan (because contacts get dangerous Inside this range).

Of course, if the AWACS or someone else gives you a precise distance and altitude for a contact, you can set your radar beam to center on it, so you will have maximum chances of spotting it.

3 . About ECM (In MIG29S). I read on-line that i should keep it off until 40KM to the bandit (not to attract attention). Turn it on, then when i get to the burn through range, turn it off BEFORE the bandit locks me on, in order to avoid HOJ.

Is this true for A-120C, R77, R27-ER? Do they all home in on the jammer? that is Semi Active Radar Misseles and the Active Radar Missiles? I also read the opposite - ECM disrupts A-120C guidance.

Please clarify this for me.

Thank you very much.

I think all the missiles you cited have a HOJ capability (not necessarily great, though). There was a lengthy discussion somewhere about if the ECM were really any good. I do think I remember people saying that it disrupted the guidance of (some?) missiles. The point was that the missile had to switch to a less effective guidance method, I think. On the other hand, if you want to notch the missile, I expect it wouldn't work then with your ECM on.

Thank you Robin Hood for your response.

When the bandit is inside 40KM and you exchange missiles (at 30KM and 20KM) and let's say you both survive the engagement. After hard maneuvering, you loose the bandit. Would you switch to MED PRF when you look for him , or would you keep it on ILV? I am a noob and in the heat of the battle, most of the time I have no idea where the bandit is after we exchange missiles and turn and twist , unless I have a lock on him.

In regards to the search range. By altitude, is this true, if you are flying very high and looking for a bandit below you?

Do you ever set the range to 5 or 10KM? If yes, for what circumstances?

It is a little hard for me to visualize the radar cone, I wish there were some diagrams with pictures.

What is your personal use of ECM? I was flying on multiplayer and saw that most people "illuminate" the whole sky and I see them from far away.

Now that this has been brought up I have a question too...

I have done minor testing with the Su-27 Jamming - with and without jammer pods. Thus far pods do not seem to add any further effectiveness in comparison to jamming without pods. Is this the case or am I missing something ? From what I can tell the F-15 can burn through at exactly the same range in controlled testing parameters with and without pods on the Su-27.

So whats going on ? What are the jamming pods supposed to do over standard jamming ?

Thank you Robin Hood for your response.

When the bandit is inside 40KM and you exchange missiles (at 30KM and 20KM) and let's say you both survive the engagement. After hard maneuvering, you loose the bandit. Would you switch to MED PRF when you look for him , or would you keep it on ILV? I am a noob and in the heat of the battle, most of the time I have no idea where the bandit is after we exchange missiles and turn and twist , unless I have a lock on him.

In regards to the search range. By altitude, is this true, if you are flying very high and looking for a bandit below you?

Do you ever set the range to 5 or 10KM? If yes, for what circumstances?

It is a little hard for me to visualize the radar cone, I wish there were some diagrams with pictures.

What is your personal use of ECM? I was flying on multiplayer and saw that most people "illuminate" the whole sky and I see them from far away.

Once you're in that close, the PRF you have set won't matter much. And, with practice, you'll find your situational awareness increasing. If nothing else, you're RWR will give you a pretty good idea of where he is.

Setting a particular search range and altitude, focuses the center of the radar scan cone on that point. So it takes less time to spot him, if that's where he is. If you have no idea, and the range has closed, I'm not sure it matters. If the range has closed enough, you shouldn't be in a BVR mode, anyway. Switch to one of the WVR modes.

As far as ECM is concerned, I normally fly with it off and only turn it on briefly (about 7 seconds), if a bandit has launched from maximum range to see if I can ruin his shot.

You can visit my site (flankertraining.com)--it's focus if Flaming Cliffs V1.x but much that is there--especially general info--still applies. The F-15 radar tutorials talk about the scan cone with graphics that you'll find helpful. I know that people have also been uploading them to YouTube. This one in particular, though for the F-15, you might find helpful:

Rich

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Thank you guys for all your responses. SFJackBauer... thank you for the website, very helpful! IronHand..You say that you turn on your ECM on for 7 seconds to ruin his shot. Do you turn on your ECM before or after he launched?

Also, are not you becoming a homing beacon for R-27ER? What is the distinction (in terms of becoming a homing beacon with ECM, for R27ER and AIM 120C?

For Su27 and Mig29, in close combat, what is more useful: number 3 key - vertical scan or number 4 key - Bore sight, or the Helmet.

For example, the bandit passed me head on and now we are both turning and I have lost him. What is the best mode to be in at this point?

Also from this video

It is a Su27 VS F15 and once the AMRAAM launched, the guy teaches to put the nose of the airplane 30 degrees to the missile, bank the plane 10 to 20 degrees and once the strength signal of the missile is next to the last bar (on RWS Su27), pull back gently on the stick and the missile will miss you.

Is this helpful? Does it work? I set it up in the Mission Editor, but no matter what, the computer fires only 1 missile at long range and this method works.

In Multiplayer , I do not think it will work against multiple missiles

Sorry guys for all the questions..

Do you turn on your ECM before or after he launched?

Before because your ECM won't let you detect the missile approaching early enough if you keep it on once the missile is on its way to you.

Also, are not you becoming a homing beacon for R-27ER? What is the distinction (in terms of becoming a homing beacon with ECM, for R27ER and AIM 120C?
R-27 - you wont hear the launch warning

AIM-120 - You'll get Pitbull warning barely 3 sec before impact.

For Su27 and Mig29, in close combat, what is more useful: number 3 key - vertical scan or number 4 key - Bore sight, or the Helmet.
If you can see him, go to helmet mode, otherwise vertical post merge or bore before the merge.

It is a Su27 VS F15 and once the AMRAAM launched, the guy teaches to put the nose of the airplane 30 degrees to the missile, bank the plane 10 to 20 degrees and once the strength signal of the missile is next to the last bar (on RWS Su27), pull back gently on the stick and the missile will miss you.

Is this helpful? Does it work? I set it up in the Mission Editor, but no matter what, the computer fires only 1 missile at long range and this method works.

It works against 1 or 2 at the most. Each of these last-ditch moves are very expensive energy-wise so you'd end up low and slow really fast.

banner_discordBannerDimensions_500w.jpg

Situational Awareness: https://sa-sim.com/ | The Air Combat Dojo: https://discord.gg/Rz77eFj

Thank you guys for all your responses. SFJackBauer... thank you for the website, very helpful! IronHand..You say that you turn on your ECM on for 7 seconds to ruin his shot. Do you turn on your ECM before or after he launched?

After helps to trash the shot.

Having ECM on allows both types of missiles to self guide on you, the only difference is that the R-27 must be reacquired by the shooter to make the kill, while the AIM-120/R-77 will acquire autonomously without assistance from the shooters radar.

For example, the bandit passed me head on and now we are both turning and I have lost him. What is the best mode to be in at this point?

If you have visual then use Helmet mode the alternate mode is vertical but remember to press the lock button to acquire.

Bore sight is pretty redundant imo.

Also from this video

At range it works well but get closer and the margin of fail increases, so obviously online players will fire at all ranges so better to learn to not get into such situations.

So whats going on ? What are the jamming pods supposed to do over standard jamming ?

Su27 can't jam without pods, the pods are the Flankers only source of ECM.

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

Thank you , i have more questions :)

Regarding the ECM. So, I turn it off before the bandit launches the missile and keep it off?

If I am far away, by using ECM , I illuminate the sky and tell everyone where I am ? Is this correct?

What does it mean to trash the shot? I keep the ECM off, once the bandit launched, I turn it on and keep it on for 7 seconds and then turn it off?

Could you please give me a detailed example of the correct use of ECM?

I understood about the range, thank you. Now, as the target closes (I look at Su27 RWS - on the lights), do I decrease the range with CTRL - ? In my limited practice, I only find that increasing range helps to find a bandit.

When is a good time to decrease the range?

Thank you :)

Keep in mind that there is a warm-up period of 15-20 seconds before the ECM is actually on. As such using it after the shot will only be effective if it is an Rmax shot well outside of burn-through range. Only AI and noob pilots are likely to take shots like this under the current missile modeling. Versus an eagle you'll likely be getting tws shots anyway, and thus no warning.

Regarding the ECM. So, I turn it off before the bandit launches the missile and keep it off?

If I am far away, by using ECM , I illuminate the sky and tell everyone where I am ? Is this correct?

What does it mean to trash the shot? I keep the ECM off, once the bandit launched, I turn it on and keep it on for 7 seconds and then turn it off?

You have to understand that ECM is a double-edged sword. It basically allows you to deny the enemy targeting information before reaching the burn-through distance, but at the same time, screams out your presence from very far away.

If the enemy sees you already, there is no much benefit from going music on unless you'd want to make him loose the lock on you (spoiling an early semi active on the way). You can use it to try to draw the enemy's attention to you while wingmen silently try to flank him. As a rule of thumb, use ECM when the threat is relatively far away because otherwise, you may well end up unaware of a semi-active being fired at you, or even worse, unaware of an active about to hit you, not to mention, being team-killed.

I understood about the range, thank you. Now, as the target closes (I look at Su27 RWS - on the lights), do I decrease the range with CTRL - ? In my limited practice, I only find that increasing range helps to find a bandit.

It you mean the 8/16/32/64/128/256/512, this is just a scaling range for the MFD (mufti-functional display). Understand that the waves of you radar travel the same way regardless of the range you set for your MFD. It's good practice to zoom in and out to get a more accurate picture on your MFD. So that's only eye-candy for you.

There's however another setting on the bottom of the HUD (showing 100 by default I think), this one is supposed to alter the detection in some way though I have never used it personally.

Edited by FLANKERATOR

Situational Awareness: https://sa-sim.com/ | The Air Combat Dojo: https://discord.gg/Rz77eFj

There's no magic here. Keeping something turned on for a set number of seconds or not really doesn't matter. Your goal is simply to complicate your opponent's life as much as possible, while keeping yours as simple as possible. I use ECM, when I think my opponent might take a long-range, low pK shot because it'll complicate his life. Once he's within burn though, there's not much point.

I've never had much use for changing the target range shown at the base of the HUD because the best time to set it is before you've turned your radar on. The idea is to have your radar focused where the enemy will be when you turn it on so you can immediately lock and shoot. So you need info from AWACs, etc. Otherwise I've never found much benefit.

In short, keep your life as simple as possible. The fewer tasks you can perform, the more you can keep your focus where it needs to be.

Edited by Ironhand

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Thank you guys for al the responses. The Flankentrator videos are awesome. Thank you very much. I just did not have time to view them yet.

Flankentrator wrote "As a rule of thumb, use ECM when the threat is relatively far away because otherwise, you may well end up unaware of a semi-active being fired at you, or even worse, unaware of an active about to hit you, not to mention, being team-killed."

I have set-up a practice mission in Mission Editor. Head on. MIG29S VS F15C, 80 KM apart. 1st time, I had ECM off the whole time. F15C launched (AIM120C) and I saw the missile acquired me . With ECM off, the result was the same. There was no difference in terms of my awareness of the missile. I received exactly the same warning tones and a lock.

The same is true when using ECM on and OFF against SU27 with E27-ER. No difference. I get the lock on with ECM on and off (the whole flight).

What is going on ?

I have read parts of the official Flaming Cliffs 3 manual again and there were some parts that I have missed.

They say that once someone launches a missile at you, you should turn on your ECM because advanced missiles like AIM120 and R77 have a HOJ capability , but they fly at a worse path.

I suppose that it only works before the "burn through" range. I figure that if I leave ECM on after they launched, I am not loosing anything, since their missiles will have a "Worse" trajectory to fly. Is there a downside to this tactic?

Thank you everyone for your responses.

I suppose that it only works before the "burn through" range. I figure that if I leave ECM on after they launched, I am not loosing anything, since their missiles will have a "Worse" trajectory to fly. Is there a downside to this tactic?

That's 'losing' (it makes a huge difference ;) ) and yes, you lose a lot. You will lose the ability to notch or decoy these missiles since you are giving them a juicy signal to home in on.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Some people turn ECM in in the middle of a fight to confuse the attacker when it's hectic with multiple bandits. I think they do that because they know most people won't go lock a ECM target when that close because they think that ECM signal probably comes from a bandit more far away. I have been tricked like this multiple times trying to look for a solid contact on my radar.

Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer.

I have set-up a practice mission in Mission Editor. Head on. MIG29S VS F15C, 80 KM apart. 1st time, I had ECM off the whole time. F15C launched (AIM120C) and I saw the missile acquired me . With ECM off, the result was the same. There was no difference in terms of my awareness of the missile. I received exactly the same warning tones and a lock.

A TWS-guided AIM120 will give no lock and no launch warning regardless of your ECM status.

You will get a pitbull warning in both cases, but very late if your ECM is emitting (approx 10sec vs 3 sec). Pitbull means the missile is close enough to turn on its own radar to intercept you).

The same is true when using ECM on and OFF against SU27 with E27-ER. No difference. I get the lock on with ECM on and off (the whole flight).What is going on ?
You will get a lock warning in both cases, but you're not supposed to get a launch warning when you have your ECM on (subject to a bug in the past against AI, not sure if it has been fixed).

There are 3 warnings here:

- Lock warning sounds like continuous 'BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP'

- Launch warning sounds like 'BEEP BEEP BEEP'

- Pitbull warning sounds like a launch warning but will last until impact or miss. Your RWR diodes will also start tuning off counterclockwise as the missile gets closer, simulating a countdown for you to time your defense.

So remember:

- R-27ER warnings ECM off--->lock yes - launch yes - pitbull No

- R-27ER warnings ECM on--->lock yes - launch No - pitbull No

- TWS/AIM-120 warnings ECM off--->lock No - launch No - pitbull Yes max

- TWS/AIM-120 warnings ECM on--->lock No - launch No - pitbull yes min

Finally keep in mind that your RWR will go silent every time you bank more than 30deg.

Like GG said, as much as your ECM will deny your opponent targeting information (speed and altitude), it will also give any missile headed your way a strong signal to hook on. It's a bit tricky and best would be to keep it off to make the most out of your RWR, then as your SA gets better, you can start using it to trick your opponents. If in doubt, leave it off.
Edited by FLANKERATOR

I personally don't bother with ECM in combat. I tend to use it when I'm not in combat so I can be an annoyance to enemy radars.

When I'm faced with ECM, I track every signal I find. If anything it's the people not using it that are harder to fight, when they're good. They stand a better chance of getting close while being undetected.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Keep in mind that there is a warm-up period of 15-20 seconds before the ECM is actually on. As such using it after the shot will only be effective if it is an Rmax shot well outside of burn-through range. Only AI and noob pilots are likely to take shots like this under the current missile modeling. Versus an eagle you'll likely be getting tws shots anyway, and thus no warning.

Oh if I could even fire missile what would fly longer than 5km....

But every missile, no matter plane or missile will lose inertia at 5km range (metered in map, from launch point to where missile tip drops first time).

Why I am just wondering how others can seriously fly these planes when it doesn't even work on me and my friend in multi player.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Oh if I could even fire missile what would fly longer than 5km....

But every missile, no matter plane or missile will lose inertia at 5km range (metered in map, from launch point to where missile tip drops first time).

Why I am just wondering how others can seriously fly these planes when it doesn't even work on me and my friend in multi player.

I was thinking the same. First it seems impossible and it will frustrate the hell out of you. Than after a couple months you come to understand the dynamics of flying the F-15 or any other plane in DCS. And you will finally see result.

These last 4 months more and more online players became considerably better. So i approach every bandit now like i'm flying against 104th or 51st guy's or any other super good pilot i know off.

Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer.

I was thinking the same. First it seems impossible and it will frustrate the hell out of you. Than after a couple months you come to understand the dynamics of flying the F-15 or any other plane in DCS. And you will finally see result.

These last 4 months more and more online players became considerably better. So i approach every bandit now like i'm flying against 104th or 51st guy's or any other super good pilot i know off.

That has been since DCSWorld was released. Missiles just don't fly ever anywhere in any weather or altitude. AI can fire and engage as wanted but not we.

It is so sad feeling to test against Mustang or any unarmed plane without maneuvering possibilities (removed in editor) and every missile has lost inertia after 5km.

It is like the moment rocket is consumed the missile inertia just isn't there anymore.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Thank you for all your responses. I am on vacation and I have stayed up all night playing. I did not go to sleep yet... I am so hooked lol. I have more questions ....

1. IF I have ECM on and they lock on me in HOJ (AIM120C) or R27-ER (can that missile do that?), once the missile is in flight, I turn off my ECM, what does it do? Does the missile have to reacquire my plane ?

2. Its the other way around. I fly with ECM off and once they lock me or launch me, I turn it off. Does it do any effect of any of the missiles? I am talking about AIM120C and R27-ER

3. I was flying a MIG29S, I had ECM on, Full lock on F15 at 15KM, R77 armed...No launch Authorization ??? The bandit had ECM on and also a friendly with ECM on close by. Why did not I have a launch Authorization? Is it because of all the ECM distortion? I pressed ALT+W to launch and my missile missed at 15KM and I was a toast.

4. What is the real difference between R-73 and R27ET? In mission editor, head on with F-15C, I get launch authorization from 5-6KM (for R73) and about 6-8KM from R27ET. Is this the real difference? Also, I think that R73 flies better than R27ET. Please share your knowledge.

5. Chaff is for radio guided missiles. So, If I only want to protect myself against those missiles, do I need flares?

6. Once I get close to a bandit (15-10KM), sometimes I loose him. What is the best method to require him (lock him) if I don't have a visual. Do I go to Vertical scan and just keep on pressing LOCK, do I turn on IRST at this range (I fly MIG29 and SU27), Do I keep BVR on Scan? Do I Select HI, MED or Interleaved?

7. I find TWS not useful, once there is a jammer ( and on-line, there are so many of them, then it does not work). Even if there is no jammer around - TWS (snaps the target and goes to full lock once the range is permitting), However, TWS does not provide me with anything than SCAN does. I know that manual states otherwise, but I do not see any practical use for TWS. Please enlighten me.

Thank you so much :)

The reason I am asking so much about ECM is because I like to fly MIG29S. It comes with ECM for free LOL. So I might as well know how to use it. (I like MIG29S for rate of climb and it's R77 missiles). I don't like it it for is low fuel and it does not carry many missiles.

8. Helmet Mode - I find it useful in MIG 29 with R77, because unlike R73, or R27-ER(in Su 27), you can launch them from most of the angles in close range.

However, (I don't have TRACK IR and I use HAT Switch to look around). It is quite slow to move the view in helmet mode) I can use a mouse in the left hand, but it is awkward. So, I find that Vertical Scan is the most useful. Just point the plane where you think the bandit might be or not, and click until you get a lock.

These are my opinions from my limited experience.

Please share your thoughts... thank you

1. IF I have ECM on and they lock on me in HOJ (AIM120C) or R27-ER (can that missile do that?), once the missile is in flight, I turn off my ECM, what does it do? Does the missile have to reacquire my plane ?

In theory, if launched HOJ before burnthrough, when you turn ECM off, the missile has nothing to guide on. Assuming you travel out of plane, it won't be able to reacquire because you will have moved outside of the missile's seeker, once the range has closed. AFAIK, the R-27ER has no HOJ capability. But I could be wrong. I am far from an expert in the area.

2. Its the other way around. I fly with ECM off and once they lock me or launch me, I turn it off (on??). Does it do any effect of any of the missiles? I am talking about AIM120C and R27-ER

Probably not. Don't have enough pit time in this iteration of the series to be sure. I simply don't have the time I used to have to test the hell out of these things.

3. I was flying a MIG29S, I had ECM on, Full lock on F15 at 15KM, R77 armed...No launch Authorization ??? The bandit had ECM on and also a friendly with ECM on close by. Why did not I have a launch Authorization? Is it because of all the ECM distortion? I pressed ALT+W to launch and my missile missed at 15KM and I was a toast.

My guess is that the system was waiting for range information. Without it, you won't get authorization. So in a HOJ situation, you have to do what you did.

4. What is the real difference between R-73 and R27ET? In mission editor, head on with F-15C, I get launch authorization from 5-6KM (for R73) and about 6-8KM from R27ET. Is this the real difference? Also, I think that R73 flies better than R27ET. Please share your knowledge.

In a tail chase situation the ET is the one to use. It has the extra thrust to catch up. The -ET part is at the back end of the missile, not necessarily the front. It doesn't really "see" much further that the vanilla brand.

5. Chaff is for radio guided missiles. So, If I only want to protect myself against those missiles, do I need flares?

Nope.

6. Once I get close to a bandit (15-10KM), sometimes I loose him. What is the best method to require him (lock him) if I don't have a visual. Do I go to Vertical scan and just keep on pressing LOCK, do I turn on IRST at this range (I fly MIG29 and SU27), Do I keep BVR on Scan? Do I Select HI, MED or Interleaved?

While there might be the occasional exception, once the range closes that much, forget BVR. The bandit's position on the display changes too quickly even if you are lucky enough to point your radar in the right direction at the right time.

7. I find TWS not useful, once there is a jammer ( and on-line, there are so many of them, then it does not work). Even if there is no jammer around - TWS (snaps the target and goes to full lock once the range is permitting), However, TWS does not provide me with anything than SCAN does. I know that manual states otherwise, but I do not see any practical use for TWS. Please enlighten me.

Assuming we're still in RUSFOR pits, I seldom use it, too. But it does give you better situational awareness, once you're close enough that jamming becomes ineffective.

Rich

Edited by Ironhand

_____