Multi-monitor set-up guide & help (unofficial)

MadTommy

Multi monitor set-up guide: DCS-A10c & BlackShark 2

Display your MFCDs, CDU, RWR etc on a 2nd, 3rd etc monitor

Initial note: This guide is to help people create bespoke multimonitor configurations in DSC-Warthog, no matter what your configuration the principles are the same. Please add any tips or correct any errors i have made. I'll adjust this accordingly.

My set-up is two 22inch displays side by side, i'll use this as the primary example, but the logic covers any set-up. I have included several monitor set-up examples to help explain the principles.

Essential Requirements:

• Full screen OFF (ingame).
  • Extended desktop enabled in Windows.
  • The 'primary' monitor, in Windows, needs to be your top left most monitor, otherwise you may have problems.
  • You need to create one lua file.

BlackShark 2 note:

• Shkval is Left_MFCD
  • Abris is Right_MFCD

** Before editing DCS files please read this post: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=599686&postcount=1

The Guide: 3 steps

Step 1:

1st thing you need to do is workout your total resolution of your combined monitors. Use the image below to help you work this out if you are unsure. Here you will find 3 example layouts..

monitorsetupexamles2.jpg

Note this figure down, this is your combined resolution.

Step 2:

Create you own bespoke multimonitor *.lua file and save it here: \Eagle Dynamics\DCS A-10C\Config\MonitorSetup\

How do this: (Read through this entire section before starting your *lua file), 1st time through you might well go WTF!, but trust me it is not that complicated. :)

First look at the default existing files in this location; (\Eagle Dynamics\DCS A-10C\Config\MonitorSetup\). They are good examples and the default ones provided with the game:

There is one example original ED file: LMFCD+Camera+RMFCD.lua

_ = function(p) return p; end;

name = _('MFCD');

Description = 'Left MFCD on the left monitor,Right MFCD on the right and camera on the center'

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = screen.width / 3;

y = 0;

width = screen.width / 3;

height = screen.height;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = screen.aspect / 3;

}

}

LEFT_MFCD =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

height = screen.height;

}

RIGHT_MFCD =

{

x = screen.width *(2 / 3);

y = 0;

height = screen.height;

}

UIMainView = Viewports.Center

My example: My_example.lua

name = _('My_example');

Description = 'Two monitor configuration';

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 1680;

height = 1050;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1.6;

}

}

LEFT_MFCD =

{

x = 1680;

y = 105;

width = 840;

height = 840;

}

RIGHT_MFCD =

{

x = 2520;

y = 105;

width = 840;

height = 840;

}

NOTES: What it all means:

ED have used wording rather than numeric x/y coordinates. This is to allow flexibility. You can also use this format, but i find it more complicated, so i use the numeric pixel option. In ED's method screen.width = the combined width of all your monitors, (x), screen.height = the combined height of all your monitors, (y). So for me screen.width = 3360 (2x1680), screen.height = (1050)

I wanted both MFCDs on my 2nd monitor, this is located on the right of my main monitor. Both my monitors are 1680x1050.

Center = your cockpit view

x=0, y=0; is always located at the top left corner of your 'primary' monitor, in Windows.

The x & y coordinates always refer to the top left corner of each element. i.e the location of each MFCD is their top left corner.

You do not generally need to edit viewDx, viewDy or aspect. But it's worth checking the aspect ratio. This is calculated by dividing your width by height of you cockpit monitor.

name = is the name that will be displayed in the game options drop down under Monitors. (Make it unique)

width = & height = are x & y resolutions in pixels associated with each item, cockpit (centre), MFCDs, RWR, CDU etc.

Look at the spoilers below to explain the x/y system:

Screen coordinates explanation: 3 example setups to help explain screen coordinates.

examplesetups.jpg

Both x & y start on the top left corner of the left most monitor. x goes across the horizontal while y goes down the vertical.

My example set-up displayed: - putting it into practice, refer to my lua file My_example.lua above to understand what is going on.

myexamplesetups.jpg

Ok now you should be able to start creating your own bespoke multi-monitor file accordingly to your own set-up, if i have made this clear enough and you have wrapped your brain around how this all works. I'd suggest you use my example above and edit it to suite your setup.

You need to save this file as file type .lua and save it in \Eagle Dynamics\DCS A-10C\Config\MonitorSetup.

Step 3:

Launch the game.. go to Options. (Here you need to do two things)

Firstly you should now be able to select your bespoke file from the drop down list labelled; MONITORS (If it is not in the list you have most likely made a small mistake with the lua code.. check for missing { , ) etc. if any part of the code is missing it will not be available to select.)

Secondly you need to enter your combined resolution, you can simply type this in. This is the total resolution you worked out at the start of this guide.

See image below:

options.jpg

Your aspect ratio will alter itself.

General Notes:

You can edit you monitor file on the fly, i.e without having to quit the game. Can save a lot of hassle. If you don't get the results you want simply quit flight, alt tab, edit the file, alt tab back and click fly again... your new setting will be used.

I hope this is clear enough. Enjoy.

Screenshot of my set-up:

98454836.jpg

Advanced section:

Adding CDU, RWR, Clock etc as Viewports =

Please read icemaker's thread http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=70716 on how to do this.

Below is my present setup incorporating MFCDs, RWR & CDU

name = _('Tommy_v3');

Description = 'Two monitor configuration';

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = screen.width /2;

height = screen.height;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1.6;

}

}

LEFT_MFCD =

{

x = 1728;

y = 380;

width = 620;

height = 620;

}

RIGHT_MFCD =

{

x = 2440;

y = 380;

width = 620;

height = 620;

}

CDU_SCREEN =

{

x = 1770;

y = 25;

width = 426;

height = 324;

}

RWR_SCREEN =

{

x = 2280;

y = 147;

width = 178;

height = 178;

}

Incorporating Hawg Touch:

Clear Dark's Hawg Touch program: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=71729

My Hawg Touch profiles: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=70364

I'll be releasing a new Hawg Touch profile for the MFCDs, CDU & RWR shortly. Just awaiting to clear up a issue with it.

Here is what it looks like:

framesc.jpg

Updated 27th June 2011.

Edited by MadTommy
  • Like 15

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4

+1 : Nice write up! Perhaps ED can include something similiar in the GUI documentation!

Note that if you use multi monitor setup you will be unable to fly Multiplayer as the server setup screen looses visibility of the necessary buttons to create and join!

@ED: Any fix for this would be most welcome, the same problem exists with Black Shark! Why not just move the buttons to the top of the screen - they should then be visible! Hopefully a simple fix?

Rig: MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk| AMD 5600 | 32 GB DDR3 | M2 NVME Gen4 1TB SSD | Samsung EVo 850 2TB, 500 & 256 GB SSD | Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1080Ti | Samsung 24" (1920x1200) |

2 x Iiyama 22" T2250MTS touch screen (1920x1080) | 2 x 6.4" LCD | Cougar MFDs | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Pro Pedals | Windows 10

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Note that if you use multi monitor setup you will be unable to fly Multiplayer as the server setup screen looses visibility of the necessary buttons to create and join!

That's a good point, but very dependant on your set-up. But very annoying for those affected, and its only the splash screen that causes the problem. Still you can easy flick between two options files for online & offline sorties. Not ideal.

• Like 1

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4

That's a good point, but very dependant on your set-up. But very annoying for those affected, and its only the splash screen that causes the problem. Still you can easy flick between two options files for online & offline sorties. Not ideal.

just do what I did in Black Shark and move the graphics button cordinates, to the center.:thumbup:

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

• Like 1

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

+1 :

The "phantomMonitorFix" exe works for me too:pilotfly:

You can download it here:

click me

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@Mastiff:

Will try the solution you and Nasty have come up with today to see if this will work. It looks as if it just might - coolio and thanks for the pointer! I'll now try this in Black Shark too!

:)

Rig: MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk| AMD 5600 | 32 GB DDR3 | M2 NVME Gen4 1TB SSD | Samsung EVo 850 2TB, 500 & 256 GB SSD | Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1080Ti | Samsung 24" (1920x1200) |

2 x Iiyama 22" T2250MTS touch screen (1920x1080) | 2 x 6.4" LCD | Cougar MFDs | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Pro Pedals | Windows 10

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The "phantomMonitorFix" exe works for me too:pilotfly:

You can download it here:

click me

Thanks for the suggestion I shall try Mastiff's approach first, as I thought the need for the "phantomMonitorFix" had gone away.

:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A Quick photo of my muliti-monitor goodness. Working MFD's under my TM Cougar MFD's. Thanks very much for the Tutorial Tommy!

attachment.php?attachmentid=44247&stc=1&d=1289029516

photo-1.JPG.62811bb2fc6a36e2571f6db5a6f7809e.JPG

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

Has anyone tried SoftTH? DCS just crashes when I tried it although the notes that come with it say it is compatible. It worked with beta1 so not sure if this is just a beta2 issue.

i did something that looks similar to shu77s setup with softth2.0.3,except my MFDs were stuck on at top of 2nd monitor, and it worked. Win7x32 and beta2

1920x1080 main screen, 1680x1050 2nd screen.

Problem with framerates still since it wants to render full width /height of both screens (depending on orientation)...prob cause its fullscreen mode.

DCS needs a smarter way to render these MFDs/ABRIS etc on secondary screens, esp now offtheshelf hardware exists to support them in pits (thrustmaster frames)

• Like 1

Yeah I was debating getting a second 20" so I can run 2x 1680x1050, but the 19" at that angle running 1280x1024 works fine. Frame drop is maybe 5FPS in normal conditions if that, so I have dropped water to low to compensate. I'm quite happy with the trade off given this means you can read all detail on the MFD's and see what the buttons do.

• Like 1

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

I can't figure out how to set up x and y coordinates for the screens. I have 2 screens and I would like to have the view in the middle one and mfd's on the right one. Is this currently possible? I've attached images of the screen setup. I've been messing around with the x and y's but the view seems to always start from the middle of the center screen. How to fix this?

name = _('MFCD');

Description = 'Left MFCD on the left monitor,Right MFCD on the right and camera on the center'

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 1920;

y = 0;

width = screen.width;

height = screen.height;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1.6;

}

}

LEFT_MFCD =

{

x = 0;

y = 120;

width = screen.width / 2;

height = screen.height;

}

RIGHT_MFCD =

{

x = 960;

y = 120;

height = screen.height;

}

["graphics"] =

{

["multiMonitorSetup"] = "Camera+MFD",

["color"] = "32",

["heatBlr"] = 1,

["resolution"] = "3840x1200",

["water"] = 0,

["fullScreen"] = false,

["visibRange"] = "Medium",

["aspect"] = 1.6,

["haze"] = 1,

["shadows"] = 2,

["TranspSSAA"] = true,

["width"] = 3840,

["effects"] = 3,

["MSAA"] = 1,

["textures"] = 2,

["height"] = 1200,

["HDR"] = true,

["civTraffic"] = "",

["lights"] = 2,

["clutterMaxDistance"] = 0,

["scenes"] = "high",

}, -- end of ["graphics"]

screens.png.5dc488fde4c5427fbd6c457bb04f9a01.png

screens2.thumb.png.7e9e1f03a4fe93863178be72263672b0.png

name = _('MFCD');

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 1920;

y = 0;

width = screen.width;

height = screen.height;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1.6;

}

}

LEFT_MFCD =

{

x = 0;

y = 120;

width = screen.width / 2; in these lines remove them. make like mine, or Kuky.

height = screen.height;}

RIGHT_MFCD =

{

x = 960;

y = 120;

height = screen.height;}

Mastiffs MFCD

name = _('MFCD');

Description = 'camera Top/Center, LMFD Bottom/Left, RMFD Bottom/Right'

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 1920;

height = 1200;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1.6;

}

}

LEFT_MFCD =

{

x = 120;

y = 1200;

width = 570;

height = 470;

}

RIGHT_MFCD =

{

x = 1200;

y = 1200;

width = 570;

height = 470;

}

name = _('MFCD');

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = What here?;

y = 0;

width = 1920;

height = 1200;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1.6;

}

}

LEFT_MFCD =

{

x = 960;

y = 120;

width = 960;

height = 960;

}

RIGHT_MFCD =

{

x = 1920;

y = 120;

width = 960;

height = 960;

}

Gets the MFCD's on the right position, but no matter what x I set for Center, it starts from the middle of the center screen. Any ideas? Or is this just not possible with 3 screens? I've tried the figures I can think of, but I'm getting nowhere.

try making the names the same, i see "mfcd" on one, and "Camera+MFD" on the other. I think those should be the same. right?

and

name = _('MFCD');

Edited by jerda
  • Like 1

try making the names the same, i see "mfcd" on one, and "Camera+MFD" on the other. I think those should be the same. right?

and

name = _('MFCD');

yes that would be correct. If you have an incorrect name it will mess it up.

i did something that looks similar to shu77s setup with softth2.0.3,except my MFDs were stuck on at top of 2nd monitor, and it worked. Win7x32 and beta2

1920x1080 main screen, 1680x1050 2nd screen.

Problem with framerates still since it wants to render full width /height of both screens (depending on orientation)...prob cause its fullscreen mode.

DCS needs a smarter way to render these MFDs/ABRIS etc on secondary screens, esp now offtheshelf hardware exists to support them in pits (thrustmaster frames)

Hmm interesting. DCS just crashes when it tries to initialise SoftTh on my rig. I tried both 2.00 and 2.03. Beta1 didnt have this problem.

• Like 1

Intel i7 990X, 6GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 470 x2 SLI, Win 7 x64

http://picasaweb.google.com/sweinhart

Name doesn't matter. The game just can't handle my monitor setup like I'd like it to. I have to move my left monitor to be on the most right in ATI CCC and then use 5760 as screen width. Now it all works, but it f's up normal desktop usage so I have to swap the screen around when I'm playing. Or I could move the screens around, but I'd like the middle one to be "primary" with task bar etc.

• Like 1

Fantastic guide, works a treat on my 2 x 1980 x 1080 monitors, now have all my mfds on right screen.

Thanks for taking the effort, to do this guide.

Cowboy10uk

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Multiplayer Files

If you wish to use Multi Monitors and are having problems with the Buttons being offscreen then put the attached extracted files in ..\Eagle Dynamics\DCS A-10C Beta\FUI\Resources\Multiplayer\ having first backed up the originals!

This works for a 1920x1200 with two 600x480 below! It may work with other configurations!

Mastiff and Nasty pointed me in the right direction for this solution, although with A10C the Multiplayer screens have changed compared to Black Shark hence more files need to be edited!

Hope this helps!

The attached files do not work with Current release only upto Beta 4!!!

Multiplayer MultiMonitor A10C Beta 2.zip

Edited by nebuluski
Final A10C Release

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]