why no interactive training mission on countermeasures?

wolle

I really like the Mig-21 interactive training missions. Most things seem to be covered nicely, except that there doesn't seem to be anything on radar-warning-receiver, jamming, flares and chaffs. Would be nice if an interactive training mission that teaches you how to react to various threats were added in the future (or did I overlook it?).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core I7 4820K @4.3 GHz, Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16 GB RAM @ 933 MHz, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB VRAM, Windows 10 Pro

well you hear a loud 800hz wine in your cockpit, someones locked on you, look out the window, see rocket smoke, flare... its pretty self explanatory

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

well you hear a loud 800hz wine in your cockpit, someones locked on you, look out the window, see rocket smoke, flare... its pretty self explanatory

How about jamming? How and when do you use the buttons labelled "cont" and "inter" (can't recall the exact labels atm) above the radar scope, for continuous and intermittent jamming?

Then there is also the countermeasure pod you can load on the aircraft, and that has a whole lot of mysterious switches on it.

Wish I was as smart as you, and things would be self-explanatory to me...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core I7 4820K @4.3 GHz, Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16 GB RAM @ 933 MHz, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB VRAM, Windows 10 Pro

As far as I understand, the whole ECM stuff in DCS World is modelled in a very simplified (not to say 'primitive') way. Don't even know If differences between cont. and inter. jamming are simulated at all, so while testing MiG weapon system against different modern AI targets, when I see clutter caused by jamming, I just smash filter buttons one at a time and watch when the clutter is gone. It seems that both first filters from the left side of the panel work the same way (which would confirm my observation above) and they're pretty good at their job.

Keep in mind though, when filter is on, the TDC gates get fxed and You cannot move them over the target (that's more or less how it was on real plane), so locking it will be tricky.

SPS-141 pod had been discussed here before, it seems to be almost non-functional at the moment - again, I'd hazard a guess that's caused by limitations of current DCS code itself, so we'll have to wait and see If/when LN guys can improve the pod (or not).

SPO radar warning device, flares & chaff are covered briefly in the manual. Not much to read about'em, I admit, but they're mediocre defensive measures anyway, so there's not much more to write about them really.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Thanks Art, very helpful. So "cont" and "inter" are filters? I always assumed that they allowed for active jamming by emitting radar waves, rather than filtering out incoming radar waves.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks Art, very helpful. So "cont" and "inter" are filters? I always assumed that they allowed for active jamming by emitting radar waves, rather than filtering out incoming radar waves.

All the buttons on that black section are exclusive to the radar, and not related to the ECM pod.

They're both filters, although they appear to work exactly the same inside DCS, or I've not used them against enough aircraft.

Why would anyone take an jammer? We need the gas!! Anyway all joking aside I wish there was more information on this as well. I have tried using it limited against ai and a few times in multi player and I really can't seem to understand if it does anything.

But to be honest I'm not sure if the effectiveness side falls on LNs or EDs really. Ecm has never been modeled that well. It's better than it is now, but i have noticed that they still act somewhat unrealistically.

I hope to get word on this as well.

the ecm jammer also automatically dumps chaff and flares when it detects a missile launch

you take it for running SEAD.

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

the ecm jammer also automatically dumps chaff and flares when it detects a missile launch

you take it for running SEAD.

It does or it should? Missiles shot by AI aircraft? It doesn't seem to be working against AA missiles launched by ships I've noticed. Haven't tested it against other threats yet.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

it doesn't have optical tracking, so only things with active tracking will set it off.. and i don't know, but there is a manual launch button somewhere on the overhead panel that might work...

i never really use the SEAD pod... though it's a cool idea...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The jammer I can deal without really, but I can't figure out how to launch flares or chaff. :helpsmilie:

well you don't need the pod for flares, the mig-21 doesn't hold chaff, though i think the jammer has chaff on it, again, the button on the overhead panel, big black one hard to miss, only one with a cover over it on the whole panel...

if you don't have the ecm pod, then you need to equip them they go in the same place as the RATO pods, can only take one or the other...

they work exactly the same as the RATO pods, just flip the two switches on the bottom right up, and then the push button right next to the throttle to release them

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If I'm not mistaken the ASO (?? forget the number) strips that go at the JATO attach point do carry chaff. I have noticed it pops out 2 flares along with a chaff bundle. The manual also mentions to set a given ration of Flares/chaff for best effect. I dont' remember the number off hand