Laser stopped working?

RichardG

Just flew a long mission, engaged many targets, no damage to my helo.

Suddenly I cant get a laser range. TA showing in hud and shkval, shkval tracking gate locked on target, but no range, so vihr will not fire.

Checked laser standby, laser not timed out, etc etc.

Checked ekran for system malfunctions, didnt see anything.

had the same problem in the GOW campaign... landed, rearmed twice.. on the third sortie it would no longer lock and allow me to fire ....

I changed the weapons mode to manual and the vikhr would then fire... so I assume it's something to do with automatic mode and laser?

Hey guys,

Just thinking, are you seeing a ПАУЗА readout on the HUD? If you are, according to the flight manual (English version) page 4-8, that would indicate a "PAUSE" cue - cooling cycle of the laser range-finder in the Target Marker (“ПМ”) targeting mode.

Also, I have no idea yet (still learning) if this would work, but try resetting the laser beaming on the front panel, under the HSI, and see if it helps. Finally, try hitting the Laser Reset button on the Targeting mode Control Panel on the left side of the cockpit.

Edited by miguez

have faith . you are not alone .

seems like its common to alot of people .

hopefully the patch will fix it once they finds the problem .

or maybe tell us what we need to do to fix it .

its very annoying , for sure . kind of spoils the mission , right fast like .

time , will heal it .

cheers .

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You can reset it and get accurate ranging again but you will no longer get a "C" authorization.
Are you able to get a lock?? (TA)? If you are getting a range, the laser is firing.

I find that for no apparent reason I can't get a lock. I'll let you know if it does it again.

Best regards,

Tango.

Are you able to get a lock?? (TA)? If you are getting a range, the laser is firing.

Yes, after resetting the laser I can get ranging and automatic tracking (TA) on a target suggesting that the laser is on. However, no "C" authorization exists so I have to switch to manual mode to fire. The missiles simply fall to the ground as if no laser was on even though the Shkval is locked on the target and the HUD reticle is properly aligned. Also, the datalink stops working partially. Some of the buttons light up but I'm not able to actually mark or send a target.

At this point you have only a few options. You can attack in boresight mode, switch choppers or go get repaired at an airfield (repairing does make the problem go away).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Guys, it's hard to tell whether what you are seeing is a bug or not without seeing it ourselves in a track or at least getting a very specific procedure to reproduce it on our own.

AFAIK, there are not any known bugs with the laser, so most likely, you are seeing some kind of system modeling feature.

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

Thanks NullCharacter. I will take a look and will forward the track to ED. I don't know what the coding in the sim is to break the laser, but it seems reasonable that firing 23 missiles in a single flight could possibly break it.

I deleted the post. I believe the track file is a bit screwy... I'll see if I can create another one that is more clear.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I could get a track (TA), but no ranging information. Nothing I did would get the laser to fire again (laser standy/ target mode reset, etc.) I fired a vikhr in manual mode, but it self destructed, indicating that no laser was firing to guide it.

I've had it happen twice now, ill save the next track when it happens again. I'm convinced this is a bug.

Question:

If the laser burns out (is this modeled), would an ekran/ warning light appear? I'm not seeing any of that.

I have had the laser malfunction also. Landing back at base and repairing fixes it so that would lead me to believe it is a modeled system failure. I did see the cooldown message in the HUD 1 time

I got into the bad habbit of turning the laser on and just leaving it on all the time right before takeoff...maybee try only using it when in the combat area and see if that helps. Usually I only get the failure when I'm on a very long sortie.

I have a feeling that there is no warning on the EKRAN because the laser is not monitored by the EKRAN....I read the section in the manual under the EKRAN and couldn't find any error that refrences the laser.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

I suspect the laser may be failing due to frequent use of Auto-Track. When the WCS is in Auto-Track mode, every time you lock a target and initiate auto-tracking, the laser range-finder is fired for 3 or 8 seconds, depending on the range (long range being 8 seconds). The laser range-finder gets hot very fast and the frequent prolonged firing is what is probably killing the laser. The prolonged firing of the range-finder is used to accurately determine the target's motion parameters.

I'm sort of guessing.

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

I suspect the laser may be failing due to frequent use of Auto-Track. When the WCS is in Auto-Track mode, every time you lock a target and initiate auto-tracking, the laser range-finder is fired for 3 or 8 seconds, depending on the range (long range being 8 seconds). The laser range-finder gets hot very fast and the frequent prolonged firing is what is probably killing the laser. The prolonged firing of the range-finder is used to accurately determine the target's motion parameters.

Yes, I think you might be right. I am an avid laser/auto-tracking whore. Even when I use the cannons I usually have the target auto-tracked.

I created a simple mission yesterday where I took off from an airfield and fired off 6 vikhrs at some shilkas off in the distance. Then I put the chopper down in a field near the airport and left it running for about 30 mins. I came back and everything was fine, the remaining missiles fired. I was even able to re-arm a couple of times and fire off all my missiles. However, after about 30 mins of play time (1 hour of total mission time) and another re-arm the same problem occurred. I had 12 missiles loaded but could not get the "C". So I'm concluding that this somehow has to do with using the laser for around 30 mins or so and not just playing for 30 mins.

Let me know if you want the track file for this. It's about 8MB so I can't post it on the forums but I can certainly e-mail it to you.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A thought here ... have you tested this with no re-arming? There might be a "bug" related to the repair/rearm feature of the game, rather than that of the laser, try the same process but not re-arming.

Yes, I do recall running into this once before without re-arming. I was trying to conserve my missiles and was not able to launch all 12 of them before the problem occurred.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]