Typhoon vs. FC3 fighters and F-18C

Basic Su-27/Mig-29 against Typhoon is going to be like flying the Mig-21bis nowadays, stay in the mountains or you're dead. And that's in the current Caucasus map, in the new Straits of Hormuz theatre it'll be even worse. I'm guessing you'll have to cross over water in order to reach the enemy AO. With nowhere to hide, the current russian fighters will be cannon fodder.

Don't get me wrong, i'm delighted to see the Typhoon coming to DCS. I'm an old time DID EF2000 veteran and this is going to be a day one purchase for me, but it would be nice if one of the developers could start working on a russian plane that stands a chance against all the NATO modules currently in development.

A FC3 level Su-27 SM2 would even things up a bit, and it shouldn't require the same ammount of work as a completely new aircraft, as we already have a PFM and external model.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some Chinese aircraft I wonder about, and would like to get a sim of but, that is highly unlikely, at least in what we come to expect from DCS title, China being really quite secretive and all.

I would also love to get some of the newer Russian birds, either domestic or export versions, but again, seems a bit on the difficult side (anyone, before retorting with VEAO making the Typhoon, please remember they have direct contact with actual Typhoons and doing this with approval / help of RAF). MiG-29, as beautiful as it is, tends to be a little bit of a flop compared to other 4th gen fighters in most variants already, Sukhois on the other hand, have some pretty serious contenders, of which Su-27S we have isn't among for great a many moons now :). A really late model MiG-29 would be great too but, I really don't see them happening, which is a shame, I've always been more interested in red aircraft for some reason.

Now if I get to actual topic; People like to talk about orphan modules in DCS, now, I do not really consider that much of an issue myself, but as far as this concept is concerned, I believe Typhoon will be among the most orphaned modules, only in the too-OP end of spectrum this time :). For relatively similar level players/pilots, Typhoon driver will probably have something akin to a turkey shoot even against F-15C s :). There wouldn't be "what if in WVR?", "but in BVR?", "but if I come in with EOS only", Eurofighter has it all :D.

As far as "modern" fighter match ups concerned, may be it is more probable for us to get numerous 80s-2000s era versions from all sides of fence in a few years :). We can consider F-14 and Mirage 2000C a start. Which, by the time Typhoon is released, will probably also be released and will be among potential rivals (more like, victims :D)

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Agreed, and that's my concern. The Typhoon completely outclasses any other fighter currently in game or in development, so unless there is something able to stand a chance against it, MP servers will have to either limit the quantity of available Typhoons or ban it altogether. It would be a shame having this incredible module and a limited choice of servers to fly with it.

We'll see. A high-fidelity avionics simulation may have flaws and blind zones that don't exist in a simplified model. For instance the RWR in FC3 modules are unrealistically good at identifying threats and directions, imho. From reading pilot accounts over the years, I suspect the FC3 radars may be unrealistically good as well.

Edited by emg

They are unrealistically good but I don't think the EF2000 will be at a disadvantage overall in terms of sensors. If there is anything that will save the FC3 planes, it will be the missile modeling. And it won't be because the FC3 planes score better, it will simply be equal. But most of my player kills in the Su-27 are with guns anyways, so an EF2000 is still probably going to win in the end.

We can consider F-14 and Mirage 2000C a start. Which, by the time Typhoon is released, will probably also be released and will be among potential rivals (more like, victims :D)

Victims is right...

None of these fighters are on remotely equal grounds with the Typhoon. I'm a serious Tomcat fan, but the best it can hope for is distracting/occupying a Typhoon for a short while with long-range phoenix shots (depending on how the ECM is modeled and how resistant the simulated AWG-9/AIM-54C prove to be), hopefully allowing someone to sneak up on it. A bit like in "Roger Ball" with F-5s vs F-14s.

Once the aircraft merge the game of chance helps to even things up a bit - but it still won't be good. That said, there are HUD photos of Hornets, Eagles, and Vipers with their pipper on an F-22. Dogfights are pretty chaotic, especially with multiple aircraft. I expect to see a few proud MiG-21Bis HUD photos with R-60's heading up a Typhoon's shorts...but it won't happen much. :D

-Nick

I'm an old time DID EF2000 veteran

Going a bit "off Topic"

Me 2 I actually went to quite bit of trouble but actually have it now running quite happily on Win7 64 bit machine. I still dust it down now and again.

Just a throwaway video of it. When playing it the graphics appear a lot better than YouTube shows.

For me it was the first sim with decent graphics, I do remember at the time every game mag review raving about the graphics quality :)

Pity I could only get the export version to work and have to fly under the US flag which irks a little

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjwcJjfK8S0

• 4 weeks later...
Tranch 1 Block 5 IIRC .... Not the current bleeding edge Typhoon but certainly the most capable aircraft we are likely to see in DCS for a while ;)

Too bad. :/ I'm not a fan of it.

I'll just stick to my props- Oh wait dcs ww2 is dead. ;_;

Edited by IJN Nagato
  • 4 weeks later...
I'd like to start a discussion on how the Typhoon will perform, in DCS, against our current FC3 fighters and the coming F-18C in A-A since I have little knowledge on this subject. :music_whistling:

Will the Typhoon just eat the others for lunch due to its newer and primarily A-A focused design?

What are the Typhoon's advantages in A-A?

What advantages do the other planes have against the Typhoon?

super hornet is not the favorite snack of the typhoon as it is hard to swallow

AIM-120C7 RANGE = 165KM

DCS AIM-120C: Max range 15km head on, 3km rear aspect and 10km relative to ground. In any case, I don't think the EF2000 will trample everything else anymore. I was concerned at first, but after a little thought I changed my mind. The reason is the missiles are going to be mostly the same and it isn't stealthy enough to matter. The only potential advantage it will have is in situational awareness, but the FC3 planes aren't lacking in that regard. The Su-27 in particular is going to get a big boost in DCS 1.5 since the datalink should finally work in MP. Combine that with a new MiG-29 cockpit + FM and I think the EF2000 will fit in comfortably.

But we are getting F/A-18C from ED, so Legacy Hornet.

regardless of which model F/A-18 all models F/A-18 lead to war aim-120C7

AIM-120C7 is the worst nightmare for any enemy

AIM-120C7 RANGE = 165 KM = 89 NM

Edited by paidapinga

Mig-29 PFm will bring the red flag to the next level.

I more wait su-33 AAR and carrier ops.

Edited by dartuil

i7 2600k -- Noctua NH-D14--Asrock Z75 Pro3--ASUS GTX970 Strix --16Go Ripjaws X 1333--Thermaltake Smart M650--CoolerMaster Silencio 652S--AOC E2752VQ-- Sandisk Extreme II 480GB--Saitek X-52 Pro --SAITEK PZ35 Pedals

The mega Su-27?

I think sukhoi will not let ED do that monster.

But if that happen > SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY<.

Problem is we can get modern fighters but the team wanting to do it have to pay Sukhoi or Boeing. Some cant do that.

Edited by dartuil

i7 2600k -- Noctua NH-D14--Asrock Z75 Pro3--ASUS GTX970 Strix --16Go Ripjaws X 1333--Thermaltake Smart M650--CoolerMaster Silencio 652S--AOC E2752VQ-- Sandisk Extreme II 480GB--Saitek X-52 Pro --SAITEK PZ35 Pedals

I do prefer NATO fighters but Im not against having BRICS fighters.

I do like Mig-29 its naval and agile.

I do like typhoon cause its angry.

• 2 weeks later...

Im actually a bit torn on the Eurofighter since i feel other aircraft would fit better since it will really unbalance the mp part

aswell as being hard to model since its a new(er) design with more classification problems.

(bring on the Side notes)

Instead of the SU-35 id say a better thing would be to add the Mig29M/SMT and Su27SM variants.

And also i see the Jas 39 Gripen Close to the Top of the List of down the line aircraft.

Any idea of what model?

Seeing as youre adding the Block 5 Eurofighter its only fair to make the Gripen a Jas-39C.

The Jas-39A/B enterd service in small numbers as early as 1995 with full official service in 98.

The Jas 39C Enterd service in 2002 so before the first eurofighter variants enterd service.

The Typhoon Tranche 1 block 5 on the other hand enterd first enterd service in 2007.

So if you make the Gripen i really hope you make it the jas-39C (also makes the most sense as all export customers use the 39C new built or upgraded)

With the Gripen added you could really represent the Hungarian / Czech airforces though ^^ Going from the Mig-21 to the Mig-29 then to the Jas-39C =>.

Only things missing after that would be the Su-22 and also but less important the mig-23.

Edited by mattebubben
Im actually a bit torn on the Eurofighter since i feel other aircraft would fit better since it will really unbalance the mp part

aswell as being hard to model since its a new(er) design with more classification problems.

(bring on the Side notes)

Instead of the SU-35 id say a better thing would be to add the Mig29M/SMT and Su27SM variants.

And also i see the Jas 39 Gripen Close to the Top of the List of down the line aircraft.

Any idea of what model?

Seeing as youre adding the Block 5 Eurofighter its only fair to make the Gripen a Jas-39C.

The Jas-39A/B enterd service in small numbers as early as 1995 with full official service in 98.

The Jas 39C Enterd service in 2002 so before the first eurofighter variants enterd service.

The Typhoon Tranche 1 block 5 on the other hand enterd first enterd service in 2007.

So if you make the Gripen i really hope you make it the jas-39C (also makes the most sense as all export customers use the 39C new built or upgraded)

With the Gripen added you could really represent the Hungarian / Czech airforces though ^^ Going from the Mig-21 to the Mig-29 then to the Jas-39C =>.

Only things missing after that would be the Su-22 and also but less important the mig-23.

Find enough informations about Su-27SM, MiG-29SMT or the latest Gripen to make a model. You don't understand one thing.

They're making Eurofighter and there're in contact with British MOD. They saw this plane outside and inside, and they can't make newer version because they didn't receive permission.