Inside view of TM HOTAS Warthog

^ - That is going a bit extreme as seeing just switching out the grease to something proper fixes the stiction issue.

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

Never going to do that with my hog.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Anyone know what the arm length (from the base of the handle to the mounting) is on the actual Warthog stick? I wouldn't want to make it too long as it affects the throw/deflection and subsequently the reaction time of your control surfaces.

[sigpic]http://www.virtualthunderbirds.com/Signatures/sig_LD.jpg[/sigpic]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Corsair 750D Case | Corsair RM850i PSU | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE | 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 |

Intel i7-8086K | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Cooler | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW | Oculus Rift |

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Black 2 x 1TB |

TM HOTAS Warthog | TM Pendular Rudder | TM MFD Cougar Pack | 40" LG 1080p LED | Win10 |

For stick arm extension mods there's always an issue of insufficient original gimbal and stops durability for such purpose. The simple solution to that is to create a springed mount where the gimbal mechanism/warthog mounting plate is not being screwed directly to floor, cockpit, desk etc. but using a spring mount similar to these

seat_mount.jpg

oimg_GC00436677_CA00437075.jpg

With springs of the right stiffness used such a mounting effectively eliminates excessive stress inflicted on gimbal mechanism and stops during maximum stick deflections.

For stick arm extension mods there's always an issue of insufficient original gimbal and stops durability for such purpose. The simple solution to that is to create a springed mount where the gimbal mechanism/warthog mounting plate is not being screwed directly to floor, cockpit, desk etc. but using a spring mount similar to these

seat_mount.jpg

oimg_GC00436677_CA00437075.jpg

With springs of the right stiffness used such a mounting effectively eliminates excessive stress inflicted on gimbal mechanism and stops during maximum stick deflections.

That's a good point. Increasing the leverage a great deal and you dramatically increase the pressure and wear rate on the ball/cuff and especially the travel stops. One large overzealous control input with a 30 cm long sick extension and I could easily see you damaging the plastic internals.

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

Never going to do that with my hog.

Being smart assed you could say that you beought a wild pig, not a giraffe.:D

But if it fix it for some to have a hoose neck, what the heck do it!

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

Being smart assed you could say that you beought a wild pig, not a giraffe.:D

But if it fix it for some to have a hoose neck, what the heck do it!

For sure. :)

I'll grab third iteration (plain steel) tommorow. Will post few fotos. Stay tuned.

Всех убью, один останусь!

Got runway's center line in first fly.

:joystick: :music_whistling::megalol:

Corsair 750D Case | Corsair RM850i PSU | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE | 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 |

Intel i7-8086K | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Cooler | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW | Oculus Rift |

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Black 2 x 1TB |

TM HOTAS Warthog | TM Pendular Rudder | TM MFD Cougar Pack | 40" LG 1080p LED | Win10 |

19.5 inches from the pivot point in the base to the top of the lower half of the AMPHENOL connector this is on a current style s curved stick and not old style the ? mark / inverted j style stick base that is in the DCS A-10Ccockpit

Anyone know what the arm length (from the base of the handle to the mounting) is on the actual Warthog stick? I wouldn't want to make it too long as it affects the throw/deflection and subsequently the reaction time of your control surfaces.

Edited by Deadman
  • Like 1

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

Nice :) How did you craft it? Do you happen to have some kind of drawings/building parts/requirements?

Last, steel, extender was ordered in auto-repairshop.

Actually I think it's better to use construction shown here http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1053299&postcount=154

It's extremly cheap and easy to build. More to say - it's durable enough and not so heavy.

I'm going to make some "How to" later today.

Allright, but I would like it to be made of metal, and the cost doesn't concern me too much ;)

Got it. You know - we have no any drawings. I've just give the stick to craftsman with words - "I'd like to add here the 15cm tube."

The cost in my case was 10$. :)

Last, steel, extender was ordered in auto-repairshop.

Actually I think it's better to use construction shown here http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1053299&postcount=154

It's extremly cheap and easy to build. More to say - it's durable enough and not so heavy.

I'm going to make some "How to" later today.

Waiting for your "how to" with details about your extension (bah, sounds dirty :D). I also prefer it to be plastic as it doesn't add too much weight.

Edited by Frazer

Forum | Videos | DCS:BS Demo1 / Demo2 | YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Plastic... extension, really sound dirty and cheap to boot.

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

There's alot of bad press in this thread regarding the Warthog which almost descouraged me from picking one up until I saw it for the lowest price I've seen in Canada yet, and snapped it up for $409.00. (http://www.greytech.com)

I had low expectations when it arrived yesterday and was very impressed with the both the throttle and stick when I took them out of the box. I knew they'd be big but this exceeded my expecations. Hard to tell from the pics but this HOTAS is huge! (my poor plastic keyboard tray could barely hold it up)

First thing I checked for was "Stiction" as you guys seemed to view it as a big concern. My copy is smooth as silk through the entire range of motion, so far. I don't know if the folks that had problems with this saw it right away or it developed over time. I shall certainly keep an eye on it.

It will definately take some getting used to as the deflection on the stick is about half of what my CH Fighter Stick is, and of course the springs are much stiffer. But, I like it. I've only flown for about 2 hours with it and I've really noticed increased accuracy when maneauvering and firing the GAU-8.

The buttons all feel very solid and like I'd imagine the ones in the real A10 being. A few folks have commented on the slew stick being hard to get used to but I found it quite nice to work with and I could control the TGP easier with it then the one on the CH Pro Throttle.

One little gripe I do have is that I pulled the base off the stick to turn it around as that fit better with my setup and I noticed that the screws and mounting points look rusty. Or maybe it's some kind of lock-tite, but it looks like rust to me.... Anybody else notice this?

Anyways, that's all I have for now as I haven't used it much but my initial impressions are very good and I'm kinda surprised at all the bad press on the ED forum. Maybe I just lucked out with my serial.

Happy Holidays everyone,

Mack

• Like 2

Your right, its people, shooting a fly with an ICBM, and nay sayers taking the ride.

• Like 1

There's alot of bad press in this thread regarding the Warthog which almost descouraged me from picking one up until I saw it for the lowest price I've seen in Canada yet, and snapped it up for $409.00. (http://www.greytech.com)

I had low expectations when it arrived yesterday and was very impressed with the both the throttle and stick when I took them out of the box. I knew they'd be big but this exceeded my expecations. Hard to tell from the pics but this HOTAS is huge! (my poor plastic keyboard tray could barely hold it up)

First thing I checked for was "Stiction" as you guys seemed to view it as a big concern. My copy is smooth as silk through the entire range of motion, so far. I don't know if the folks that had problems with this saw it right away or it developed over time. I shall certainly keep an eye on it.

It will definately take some getting used to as the deflection on the stick is about half of what my CH Fighter Stick is, and of course the springs are much stiffer. But, I like it. I've only flown for about 2 hours with it and I've really noticed increased accuracy when maneauvering and firing the GAU-8.

The buttons all feel very solid and like I'd imagine the ones in the real A10 being. A few folks have commented on the slew stick being hard to get used to but I found it quite nice to work with and I could control the TGP easier with it then the one on the CH Pro Throttle.

One little gripe I do have is that I pulled the base off the stick to turn it around as that fit better with my setup and I noticed that the screws and mounting points look rusty. Or maybe it's some kind of lock-tite, but it looks like rust to me.... Anybody else notice this?

Anyways, that's all I have for now as I haven't used it much but my initial impressions are very good and I'm kinda surprised at all the bad press on the ED forum. Maybe I just lucked out with my serial.

Happy Holidays everyone,

Mack

I think the "stiction" is relatively the same for all the sticks. It's just that some are more sensitive than others to it. That red grease TM's uses is definitely too thick for the application. I changed it out with Dow Corning Molkote EM-30L plastic lithium soap and it's noticeably smoother. I can now make the smallest almost imperceptible aircraft movements with one finger.

• Like 2

I also think the stiction is heavily dependent on grip style. You'll notice it more the more of your weight is pushing down on the stick. Even I notice it then.

Flying it as I normally do...it's perfect.

"Tank! I need a program for a TM Warthog!"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thermaltake V9 SECC case | Corsair RM750 PSU | Asus ROG Ranger VIII | Intel i7 6700K | 16GB 3000mhz RAM |

EVGA GTX 980Ti FTW | TrackIR 4 w/ pro clip | TM HOTAS Warthog | TM MFD Cougar Pack | Win 10 x64 |

I also think the stiction is heavily dependent on grip style. You'll notice it more the more of your weight is pushing down on the stick. Even I notice it then.

Flying it as I normally do...it's perfect.

2nd that! Technique/grip matters!!!

I had a big response typed up in reference to MacTheKnight and Teej's comments, but the ED forums decided to log me out while I was typing so nothing saved... :mad:

Here's take #2 and the skinny:

There's only one spring in the Warthog and it's a helical spring (i.e. uniform resistance throughout the range).

Don't forget that 9/10 reviews of the HW are glowing, while most people who are happy are simply... happy (and quiet flying their sticks). The users with problems tend to be heard more, and for good reason. Hopefully someone can help solve their issues, but this sticky point is definitely not a problem to me and many others (who are precision freaks). It'd call it more of a valid concern and something to keep an eye on. Time will tell, and we'll make sure that TM is made aware. In the mean time, there seems to be some workarounds already if it bothers you. It doesn't bother me, and I'm able to control my jet down to the hundreth of a G while increasing and decreasing stick deflection, so no problem here...

Tip: As mentioned, technique matters!!! You cannot use the same technique used with an FSSB modded Cougar (mine had 14-21 lbs of force required for full deflection), so adjust your grip to where your long finger and ring finger rests directly underneath the trigger when you fly and keep a relatively light touch on the stick (no deathgrip!!!). If you grip the HW too low and hold it too tight trying to excert force rather than deflecting the stick, you'll be your own worst enemy.

Center mounted/placed between your legs and with the proper grip on the stick, you'll have very few problems with absolute control! :)

Edited by LawnDart

2nd that! Technique/grip matters!!!

Center mounted/placed between your legs and with the proper grip on the stick, you'll have very few problems with absolute control! :)

Agree on this - I couldn't do this with my CH Stick because the base just made it impossible.

Works perfectly with the Warthog though, and it's much more comfortable.

-Mack