MiG 21 vs modern fighters

lucien

Nice video's! Although at one point someone mentions slewing the radar cone up and down, and you can't do that in the 21, it has a fixed Sapphire radar system, although it can angle up a bit with the low altitude flying mode to get some of the clutter out of the way.

Thanks!

Yes, you are right. 2 guys were flying F15 on the TS and one of them was teaching it to the other that's what we hear in the vid.

• Replies 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any other recommendations for flying multiplayer besides the 104th? Besides constantly getting missiles slammed up my rear BVR, I'm really worried about shooting a friendly because they have the same aircraft flying for both sides. Of course I how to use the IFF function, but if I ever do manage to surprise someone at close range I don't want to have to paint them up with my radar to find out if I should launch.

Edited by gavagai

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Any other recommendations for flying multiplayer besides the 104th? Besides constantly getting missiles slammed up my rear BVR, I'm really worried about shooting a friendly because they have the same aircraft flying for both sides. Of course I how to use the IFF function, but if I ever do manage to surprise someone at close range I don't want to have to paint them up with my radar to find out if I should launch.

This is the hard part sadly, because of the happy mix of airplanes between red and blue on most servers. I called off attacks when not sure to be honest it's frustrating but didn't wanted to shoot a friendly.

The East vs West missions are great though because you can truly ID the other aircrafts.

• Like 1

The East vs West missions are great though because you can truly ID the other aircrafts.

Only the other day I was merged with something like 6 or 7 F-15s and Flankers in one big furball over the dam in the Bison mission, unfortunately I was in a Sabre and couldn't attach onto any of the Ruskis. I did get a GAR-8 splash earlier on though . :D

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

Only the other day I was merged with something like 6 or 7 F-15s and Flankers in one big furball over the dam in the Bison mission, unfortunately I was in a Sabre and couldn't attach onto any of the Ruskis. I did get a GAR-8 splash earlier on though . :D

Lol taking on F15s and Su27s with a F86, you sir are taking the fight against modern fighters to a whole new level!

So, in the East vs West mission you can count on the aircraft types matching the team colors? Good to know.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

So, in the East vs West mission you can count on the aircraft types matching the team colors? Good to know.

more like... if you're in an F-15, then any other fighter is an enemy, and if you're in any russian fighter, then only the F-15 is an enemy.

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On the second fight i manage to get him locked up in beam mode, it works!

some good (or at least fun) fights

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I know this question has probably been asked before, but what is the best way to get to grips with fighting in the MIG-21? I've had a dable in multiplayer with it, so far without success and have been going up against AI aircraft, but I mostly need more practice with defensive flying.

Unfortunately the manual is rather sparse on this, I do remember there being several guides online on modern dogfighting. What is all applicable on the Mig 21?

http://navyflightmanuals.tpub.com/P-1222/index.htm

the airspeeds and AOA it suggests are for a different plane, but everything else is pretty sound, if you actually read it and not just look at the pretty pictures...

Edited by Hadwell

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://navyflightmanuals.tpub.com/P-1222/index.htm

the airspeeds and AOA it suggests are for a different plane, but everything else is pretty sound, if you actually read it and not just look at the pretty pictures...

Awesome, thank you!

It's great watching your videos - you're a MiG-21 ninja, impressive stuff.

The MiG-21 is my favorites, but staying alive against an AI opponent (except the Hawk :)) is a major challenge for me at the moment.

Looks like I have some reading to do! :book:

-Nick

Here's 8 more... (might still be processing)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A really fun session on the 104th saturday, got 3 kills (2.5 really), teamed up with an other Mig 21 pilot and between the 2 of us we shot down 7 F15/Mig 29/Su27s lol. I had a blast.

The last kill in the vid is the result of some nice teamwork

Forget to turn on my mic recording

1. F15 with R13

2. Su 27 with R3R

3. F15 with R13

those were actually my 2nd and 3rd kills with IR weapons ever on the 21.

Edit :

Another R13M1 kill during a East vs West Mission:

yes! bwhaha behold the might of proletarian engineered mig-21 you f-15s! srsly hadwell please keep the videos coming not only do i enjoy but i learn a lot. hopefully one day ill be a competent enough 21 driver to try to attempt to fly it on multiplayer lol

unfortunately I was in a Sabre and couldn't attach onto any of the Ruskis. I did get a GAR-8 splash earlier on though . biggrin.gif
whaaa really?! how cool! what did you kill? i was looking at it earlier today and wondering how often people manage to pull that off lol

“The murder of a man is still murder, even in wartime.”

-Manfred von Richthofen

yes! bwhaha behold the might of proletarian engineered mig-21 you f-15s! srsly hadwell please keep the videos coming not only do i enjoy but i learn a lot. hopefully one day ill be a competent enough 21 driver to try to attempt to fly it on multiplayer lol

Try the batumi race track on the Virtual aerobatics server, try to get around 125-140 seconds on it, if you can figure out how to use the throttle and some interesting half barrel roll style turns(high yo-yo) to accomplish this, then you can use the same techniques to get behind enemy fighters quicker....

other than that... as i've said before.... do the single player target practice missions easy and medium at least.... over and over with different weapon loadouts till you can't beat your own time for downing all the targets with each loadout... and then go on 104th and die lots.... well anyway that's how I did it... 3 months of saying " I !!!WILL!!! get a fighter kill" and not getting one... before that fateful day lol...

you need to build up your mental map of where enemy fighters are, and where valleys and major mountains are, and things like that... no real way to do that without actually getting out there and doing it, and you can't do that fighting against AI, that have nowhere near the play style of human beings.

when it comes to using AI to train for servers like the 104th... they make good drones for target practice, but other than that, most of the time, a human will do something different.

Edited by Hadwell

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

whaaa really?! how cool! what did you kill? i was looking at it earlier today and wondering how often people manage to pull that off lol

1 Su27 GAR-8 kill, 4 su27 with pea shooter.50, 5 kills 4 deaths on the 104th against Su27 in the Sabre. :D

Mig-21 k/d is positive also.

Like I said earlier there a quite a lot of inexperienced guys flying around waiting to be killed, but when you come up against the 20-30% that know their stuff you're toast.

The beauty of the MiG-21 against Russian modern fighters is that their RWR shows a really weak strength so they believe you're a long way away, unless they see you on radar. I've been surprised by this once and it nearly cost me, fortunately was able to escape then catch him out with EOS and ET as he tried to notch.

Against the F-15 it's not so easy against the initiated, a U is a tell tale sign of a MiG-21 that's why it's imperative to use radar sparingly. Keeping low in mountainous areas is a must, here you rely on short ranges to either pick them up on radar 20km away or visually acquire them and try and IFF them with radar or visually depending on the mission.

Use friendlies as support, mix yourself amongst friendly fighters and try and sneak on a fixated bandit. The RCS of the MiG-21 is smaller than normal fighters so notching and running help a lot.

• Like 1

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

Try the batumi race track on the Virtual aerobatics server, try to get around 125-140 seconds on it, if you can figure out how to use the throttle and some interesting half barrel roll style turns(high yo-yo) to accomplish this, then you can use the same techniques to get behind enemy fighters quicker....

other than that... as i've said before.... do the single player target practice missions easy and medium at least.... over and over with different weapon loadouts till you can't beat your own time for downing all the targets with each loadout... and then go on 104th and die lots.... well anyway that's how I did it... 3 months of saying " I !!!WILL!!! get a fighter kill" and not getting one... before that fateful day lol...

you need to build up your mental map of where enemy fighters are, and where valleys and major mountains are, and things like that... no real way to do that without actually getting out there and doing it, and you can't do that fighting against AI, that have nowhere near the play style of human beings.

when it comes to using AI to train for servers like the 104th... they make good drones for target practice, but other than that, most of the time, a human will do something different.

awesome advice thanks hadwell!! this im thinking seriously this might be my new nightly routine on dcs.

1 Su27 GAR-8 kill, 4 su27 with pea shooter.50, 5 kills 4 deaths on the 104th against Su27 in the Sabre. biggrin.gif

Mig-21 k/d is positive also.

Like I said earlier there a quite a lot of inexperienced guys flying around waiting to be killed, but when you come up against the 20-30% that know their stuff you're toast.

The beauty of the MiG-21 against Russian modern fighters is that their RWR shows a really weak strength so they believe you're a long way away, unless they see you on radar. I've been surprised by this once and it nearly cost me, fortunately was able to escape then catch him out with EOS and ET as he tried to notch.

Against the F-15 it's not so easy against the initiated, a U is a tell tale sign of a MiG-21 that's why it's imperative to use radar sparingly. Keeping low in mountainous areas is a must, here you rely on short ranges to either pick them up on radar 20km away or visually acquire them and try and IFF them with radar or visually depending on the mission.

Use friendlies as support, mix yourself amongst friendly fighters and try and sneak on a fixated bandit. The RCS of the MiG-21 is smaller than normal fighters so notching and running help a lot.

!! su-27 kills with the sabres .50 are too cool lol. thanks guys for the advice i learn something new with the 21 every time i read about it. this indeed may be my new goal - to master that thing enough in hopes of getting my first 21 kill before fall biggrin.gif

“The murder of a man is still murder, even in wartime.”

-Manfred von Richthofen

Well, I suppose I did my first successful sortie last night, flew for a good hour and a bit, attempted to find some A-10C's roaming about, only had a sort pop up on my scope before I got locked and had to hightail it, couldn't find the agressor anymore and flew a bit circle hoping to come up behind the enemy. Unfortunately I only got pinged by some SAM site that couldn't hit me anyway.

I've been doing some intercepting training in the meantime and I've been wondering, is it advisable to use the airbrakes in a dogfight?

Well, I suppose I did my first successful sortie last night, flew for a good hour and a bit, attempted to find some A-10C's roaming about, only had a sort pop up on my scope before I got locked and had to hightail it, couldn't find the agressor anymore and flew a bit circle hoping to come up behind the enemy. Unfortunately I only got pinged by some SAM site that couldn't hit me anyway.

I've been doing some intercepting training in the meantime and I've been wondering, is it advisable to use the airbrakes in a dogfight?

I don't really advise using airbrakes unless you're behind or above someone.... like... you're going 1200kph, 5km behind some guy going 800kph... you gotta slow down somehow...

if you merge, fly underneath, slam on the airbrakes, because the plane turns better at 800 kph than 1100kph and do an immelman turn in behind the guy, pop him before he gets outta missile range...

Edited by Hadwell

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I got SOO close today to taking down a F-15C!

He flew up high, contrailing, heading to my base. Locked him a bit too early as I was afterburning up to his altitude. At this point he dived and I lost contact. He didn't pop up on my RWR anymore though. No idea where he went.

Crazy manuver to dodge that R-3R

and seriously didn't see me there?

pay attention to the sound, when I throttle back and when I use airbrakes.

Edited by Hadwell

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Crazy manuver to dodge that R-3R

and seriously didn't see me there?

pay attention to the sound, when I throttle back and when I use airbrakes.

Very nice! You've won a turn fight with a F-15C! Interesting to see how you brake and throttle as well, besides you really do know the terrain, at some points I would have rolled inverted earlier then you did to only realize it would have put you in a bad spot to avoid the ground!