Dedicated Servers Gurus

ATAG_Bliss

Hey Folks,

I initially bought the A10 Beta after reading the developers state they were working on dedicated server files. Of course, I've bought about every module there is since then :P

My question is, can you run a DCS MP server with a dedicated server (IE - no video card) machine yet? Does anyone have any information on this?

I've scoured over the forums and I've seen some talk about this, but not really a definitive answer.

Essentially, we have a dual hex core machine with a 10 gigabyte per second upload/download connection connected to one of the main fiber trunk lines of the internet itself, up in Chicago. We currently use it to host IL2COD, which even when full, leaves 99% of the machine left doing nothing. Obviously, there will be no adding a graphics card to this machine.

So there in lies the question. Can that machine run a dedicated server for DCS yet? If not, any news on when it can? The reason I started this thread talking about the A10 Beta was because that was like 5 years ago. So I would hope there would be solution by now. Sorry for the thread if this is easily solved and I just couldn't find the solution on my own.

Thanks in advance for any help in answering my questions :book:

Can't wait for EDGE!

Hi bud, basically no you can't as yet run one without having a GPU of some kind installed.

We have our own dedicated server that one of our members sorted for us. He is a server engineer by trade. We have exceptionally good ping rate.

Obviously the beauty of not needing a GPU will be that essentially the server could run multiple instances of DCS thereby having different options for the most discerning pilots out there. We have got around only being able to have one instance of DCS running by having separate areas on the Georgian map for different scenarios when the server is open to the public.

This future server enhancement will be, assuming ED pull it off with Edge, a massive gain on what we have now.

You are most welcome to pitch up on TSpeak when Jim(server guru) is online and have a chat.

Richard

• Like 1

Richard - Thanks!

That's what I feared, but I wanted to make sure before any effort was put forth in making it happen.

I sure hope they give us some way of doing this with the next update / EDGE. Having a dedicated server is one of the most quintessential things of flight simming!

Bliss

I think they confirmed that we will have dedi servers in World 2.0.

Can't wait honestly :D, not to mention it will save people shit ton of money usually Windows licenses are very expensive.

I run a server on a laptop. I have 3d rendering "false" selected in the graphics lua file which means that there is no need for a graphics card to actually run (host)the mission. Because accessing the multiplayer functionality of DCS World requires Windows 64 bit OS, it seems to me that all you would need is that to host a mission, either locally or remotely using a program like Teamviewer.

Edited by Blooze

What's A10Beta? You mean the released A-10C module? Is it back in beta testing for DCS2, you have access to it and beta dedicated servers?

Edited by Shaman

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

• ED Team
I think they confirmed that we will have dedi servers in World 2.0.

Can't wait honestly :D, not to mention it will save people shit ton of money usually Windows licenses are very expensive.

Just to maintain expectations, dedicated servers are planned for 2.0, but it might not be ready as with other features on day 1 of release.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

What's A10Beta? You mean the released A-10C module? Is it back in beta testing for DCS2, you have access to it and beta dedicated servers?

No. The only reason I brought up the A10 Beta (see here: http://www.simhq.com/_air13/air_460a.html) is because during that time the devs announced they were working on dedicated server files. That was close to 5 years ago, and we still don't have them. :(

Yeah, I know what you feel, still pretty much waiting for it and pre ordered Nevada map...

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer