DIY G-seat

Hi everybody and thanks for your nice replies!

I try to give more explanation on the G-Seat on the "how-to" section of my website (http://meintourenbuch.net/simpit) as much as my spare time allows, as I learned that there are already some fellow simmers trying to rebuild the G-Seat!

I am going to answer all questions reaching me via mail or pm, but please be patient with new content on my website as I am quite busy with other things at the moment!

If you want me to explain anything specific here or on my website, then feel free to contact me!

my simpit website: bergisons.simpit.info

• 1 month later...

I have published some additional information to the "how-to" section of my g-seat website now:

[http://meintourenbuch.net/simpit/g-seat-how-to]

I don't know if more information or details are still needed!? If so post your questions here, or on my website:

[http://meintourenbuch.net/simpit/comments]

As far as I know, there have been plans to rebuild the G-Seat by some. Could you let me know, if you're still on it and how it worked out for you? Thanks!

my simpit website: bergisons.simpit.info

• 5 months later...

I could not get this project out of my mind since I first saw it last year. I've always considered some type of motion and this one really seems to take the cake for price, immersion, simplicity, and any other metric that you can really use to describe such things. :)

I started to collect all the parts last week. I got the wiper motors from the junk yard and I ordered the motor controllers, and a power supply. I think one 450w power supply should be enough to cover the average current draw, and I'm going to buffer it with a SLA battery. I have some of the stuff in my junk bin, like the arduino, pots, and some miscellaneous hardware. I also have a 3d printer that I think will be useful for some of the parts.

Next I'll need the belts, wood, hinges, and whatever other things I've forgotten.

Is the seat based on the aces II? I've been thinking about what I'm going to do about the seat and haven't quite decided yet.

Thanks for such a great idea, Bergison! Not to mention doing such a great job documenting your work, it's a godsend for people like me who want to build such a project. :thumbup:

i5-4670K@4.5GHz / 16 GB RAM / SSD / GTX1080

Rift CV1 / G-seat / modded FFB HOTAS

I could not get this project out of my mind since I first saw it last year. I've always considered some type of motion and this one really seems to take the cake for price, immersion, simplicity, and any other metric that you can really use to describe such things. :)

I started to collect all the parts last week. I got the wiper motors from the junk yard and I ordered the motor controllers, and a power supply. I think one 450w power supply should be enough to cover the average current draw, and I'm going to buffer it with a SLA battery. I have some of the stuff in my junk bin, like the arduino, pots, and some miscellaneous hardware. I also have a 3d printer that I think will be useful for some of the parts.

Next I'll need the belts, wood, hinges, and whatever other things I've forgotten.

Is the seat based on the aces II? I've been thinking about what I'm going to do about the seat and haven't quite decided yet.

Thanks for such a great idea, Bergison! Not to mention doing such a great job documenting your work, it's a godsend for people like me who want to build such a project. :thumbup:

I'd like to echo those sentiments. I am so grateful for your detailed notes and guide. I'm making good progress on my build which I could not have done without your webpage. Your seat has been inspirational.

image.php?album_id=279&image_id=3680

image.php?album_id=279&image_id=3637

Edited by Frusheen

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

I have published some additional information to the "how-to" section of my g-seat website now:

[http://meintourenbuch.net/simpit/g-seat-how-to]

I saw the technique applied to F-18 simulators a long time ago in the late 1980's using pneumatics. Not until I saw your posts did I realise its full impact, only being aware of full motion simulators. Being very limited for space this is very very do-able, especially with the current state of electronics.

Thank you for sharing this information and letting others gain this experience.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just popping back in to say that I finished my chair, and holy crap is it amazing. Taking off in a tail dragger is crazy, you get thrown around side to side if you don't stay on top of the rudder. Lighting off the AB in the mig-21 is intense too, not to mention pulling hard g's.

Bergison, thank you so much for posting all the information you did. I couldn't have done it without the guidance. I strayed a bit on the implementation, using an arduino mega and scratch written firmware for example, but overall it's quite similar.

I'm considering my current build to be a beta version. It's working great, but I'd like to change the ergonomics for my seat, and I'm going to re-build my mechanical units. I have a new idea to use hall-effect sensors instead of pots, it should make the motors more compact (at least compared to my current setup) and let me get my seat lower to the ground.

I gotta say though, overall, the G-seat is brilliant. I can't imagine how much fun it'd be with a rift. :pilotfly:

i5-4670K@4.5GHz / 16 GB RAM / SSD / GTX1080

Rift CV1 / G-seat / modded FFB HOTAS

Lol, my bad. They're coming, I made the post before work and didn't have time to get pics together. I'll do a proper writeup sometime soon.

I was going to ask you to share more info as well. As I progress with my build I'd be interested to gather and share as much info as possible. I'll be starting my own thread when I have more to show and will link to it here. If you have time please do the same.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051