Intel HD Graphics

Hi guys,

I updated my rig yesterday and got an i5-4590 with a Gigabyte GA-H97M-Gaming 3.

The thing is that I always used motherboards with integrated graphics but never saw the device manager showing two items under graphic adapters (the HD 6870 and the integrated intel hd). Is that normal? How do I know my games aren't using the poor integrated card rather than my main HD 6870?

I uninstalled the drivers but when I did and remove the item from the device manager it reinstalls itself again after reboot so I always end up having two graphic cards in device manager no matter how many times I uninstall the integrated one.

Is this ok or should I do something about it?

Thanks a lot.

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

the thing is that it is supposed to disable automatically by plugging a physical card like I always did. Why is it showing in the first place?

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

the thing is that it is supposed to disable automatically by plugging a physical card like I always did. Why is it showing in the first place?

Not necessarily. most of my previous MBs require PCI or PCI-e enabling. Without this feature, any issues with graphics card could possibly render you PC unbootable.

But yours might autoselect which means what ever your monitor is plugged into (onboard or card) will use that GPU and drivers.

Did you enable PCIE? if so is the integrated still showing up in Device Manager?

Not necessarily. most of my previous MBs require PCI or PCI-e enabling. Without this feature, any issues with graphics card could possibly render you PC unbootable.

But yours might autoselect which means what ever your monitor is plugged into (onboard or card) will use that GPU and drivers.

Did you enable PCIE? if so is the integrated still showing up in Device Manager?

I dont really know what you are talking about enabling pcie :S

I did find the option to disable integrated graphics but i dont feel comfortable doing that, especially because I never seen this before.

pls tell me what i should be looking for in the bios.

I dont really know what you are talking about enabling pcie :S

I did find the option to disable integrated graphics but i dont feel comfortable doing that, especially because I never seen this before.

pls tell me what i should be looking for in the bios.

Thats the option you are looking for. If you have a discrete graphics card in your PC (and as fars as I can tell you do) you can safely disable integrated graphics.

I wouldn't worry about it though, the game will only use the primary graphics display adapter (the one your monitor is plugged in to) so if that is your card, you dont have to worry if the on board integrated graphics is on or off. I have always left mine on and have never had problems.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.