Landing the Huey

Para_Bellum

Hi...is the new stabilization option going to be available in multiplayer games?

Ie, will I be able to fly MP games with this thing on?

It's the flight model that is being updated. There is no option to choose from.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

It's the flight model that is being updated. There is no option to choose from.

Please please please don't dumb it down, adjust sure, but don't make it into something that requires an up and down arrow key so to speak to take off and land (exaggeration, but just trying to make a point)

:)

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

Never fear, it's not being dumbed down. :)

The current beta FM, while still very good, is twitchier and harder to control than the real thing.

The updated FM is both more stable and more realistic.

All is well. :)

- Bear

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

- Robert A. Heinlein

While its great news to hear about more patches being developed, may I ask if the patches are planned to be released when they are ready from Belsimtek, or are they going to be integrated into the standard dcs world updates.

Would hate to only get the Huey updated once every few months, which since the dcs world patches are quite large, seems to be the time frame for the majority of the updates.

As to Landing the Huey, now I've stopped trying to control my descent with the collective, and instead control it with the cyclic, my landings have become almost survivable. ;)

I now setup a 500 ft descent rate using the collective, and then after that, I control the descent by pitching the helicopter up and down, to control the rate of descent. I certainly find that I seem to have more control and its easier to pass through transition by doing this. Of course 50% of the time, I still hit rotor vortex and plummet to the ground, but at least it's looks more in control. :)

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

I've all but given up on the so many feet per minute and at X knots descent and have started opting for more of a "that looks/feels about right" type approach. By spending less time with my nose in the gauges and more with my eyes out the window I find that I am better able to react to what the Huey is doing and thus correcting accordingly(ish).

At this point my flying is still more of stopping the bird doing what it wants to do and a lot less of making it do what I want it to. But I'm getting better at nudging it towards my goal instead of it constantly trying to kill me... the beast will be tamed!

Never fear, it's not being dumbed down. :)

The current beta FM, while still very good, is twitchier and harder to control than the real thing.

The updated FM is both more stable and more realistic.

All is well. :)

- Bear

Well after stumbling across THIS post of yours my little speed wobble/panic attack seems to be completely unwarranted :D

Very interesting comments in there, thanks for your input.

:thumbup:

Edited by Vlerkies

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

I've all but given up on the so many feet per minute and at X knots descent and have started opting for more of a "that looks/feels about right" type approach. By spending less time with my nose in the gauges and more with my eyes out the window I find that I am better able to react to what the Huey is doing and thus correcting accordingly(ish).

A short story with maybe some relevance.

I was landing at a FARP the other day (virtually speaking) with a shot out attitude and speed instruments.

On short finals it was all good, the minute I got close to touchdown I instinctively looked at the attitude indicator which was frozen in a pitch down position.

Without even thinking, and considering the actual attitude of the helicopter, I disregarded what I was seeing outside and I moved the cyclic back and ended up with a high pitch attitude almost knocking the tail rotor on the ground.

Totally screwed up my landing.

It reminds me of a comment I once saw on an aviation forum, where people were asking experienced aviators what value there is in simming when it comes to real flying or doing PPL's/CPL's.

Most all of the experienced aviators said that one of the traits of those that come from a background that involves simming is they tended to spend more time (to much) head down looking at the instruments and not looking out the window.

:)

I also use your current logic, with mere glances at the instruments only when required. I also figure if it feels right, all the other stuff will come together on its own, with minor corrections required.

OMG OMG OMG this sim is so great!

Just a few days ago I kept crashing all over the place. Today I managed to perform a couple of rooftop landings.

Okay, granted, I omitted the crash-pictures that kinda belong to the series. :music_whistling:

But anyways, it feels so absolutely cool to get better day by day. What a fantastic simulation! :thumbup:

Everytime i try this i end up through the roof its just wierd i can land on the strip taxi ways grass but roofs are to me like someone just rigged it with c4 and is just waiting for me to try and land.

Now i know i am not coming in to fast as i am already in hover with 0 ROD and just as i touch the skids on the roof boom.

Eagles may soar high but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines.

System Spec.

Monitors: Samsung 570DX & Rift CV1

Mobo: MSI Godlike gaming X-99A

CPU: Intel i7 5930K @ 3.50Ghz

RAM: 32gb

GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti VR Ready

Cooling: Predator 360

Power Supply: OCZ ZX Series 80 Plus Gold

Drives: Samsung SSD's 1tb, 500g plus others with OS Win10 64 bit

Everytime i try this i end up through the roof its just wierd i can land on the strip taxi ways grass but roofs are to me like someone just rigged it with c4 and is just waiting for me to try and land.

Now i know i am not coming in to fast as i am already in hover with 0 ROD and just as i touch the skids on the roof boom.

Huh, weird. I'd never tried landing on HAS before yesterday, but it seemed to work just fine. I'd clipped my skids on solid taxiways more often than on those roofs.

I am still making the same "Air Assault landing from Hell" kinds of mistakes...have managed to slide in a time or two without smashing it up...have not mustered the nuts to try roof top landings.....Just scare the hell out of the tenants in those apartment buildings!

While its great news to hear about more patches being developed, may I ask if the patches are planned to be released when they are ready from Belsimtek, or are they going to be integrated into the standard dcs world updates.

Would hate to only get the Huey updated once every few months

This so much. I've been playing DCS since the day they came out (literally, starting with BS1), and already this Huey sub forum is entirely different than the rest of the DCS forum. I've yet to see a flame war, people are all helpful and don't act like you're an idiot for not knowing how something works or how to do something.

This is the reason I've been so active, making missions, doing research and providing answers (as best I can) and making tutorials. I know we all appreciate the effort and time. You guys are great, same goes for the whole Belsimtek team. Very open, easy to communicate with.

Edited by wess24m
  • Like 1

This so much. I've been playing DCS since the day they came out (literally, starting with BS1), and already this Huey sub forum is entirely different than the rest of the DCS forum. I've yet to see a flame war, people are all helpful and don't act like you're an idiot for not knowing how something works or how to do something.

This is the reason I've been so active, making missions, doing research and providing answers (as best I can) and making tutorials. I know we all appreciate the effort and time. You guys are great, same goes for the whole Belsimtek team. Very open, easy to communicate with.

Now you've jinxed all of us ;)

Well said sir, I've been part of the DCS Community since the announcement of Blackshark, and this is by far the friendliest sub section on the site I've known. Everyone here seems to have such a passion for rotary and everyone just wants to help each other get the most out of in my opinion the best module that has ever been released.

The Belsimtek guys again, are very passionant and that shows in their work and communication with us. Certainly while I don't know about you guys, I can confidently say, that I will be purchasing every module these guys make.

Wess24, it's thanks to you, that we have some stunning missions, music on our radios and have had hours and hours of fun. Thankyou sir. You are one of the best guys I've ever met on a forum.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Well said sir, I've been part of the DCS Community since the announcement of Blackshark, and this is by far the friendliest sub section on the site I've known. Everyone here seems to have such a passion for rotary and everyone just wants to help each other get the most out of in my opinion the best module that has ever been released.

The Belsimtek guys again, are very passionant and that shows in their work and communication with us. Certainly while I don't know about you guys, I can confidently say, that I will be purchasing every module these guys make.

Wess24, it's thanks to you, that we have some stunning missions, music on our radios and have had hours and hours of fun. Thankyou sir. You are one of the best guys I've ever met on a forum.

Cowboy10uk

I'm in full agreement but totally the opposite to you and most in the DCS community. Until a few months ago I hadn't even heard of any of the titles even though a few years back I did participate in flight sims (Xplane etc).

So can you imagine the sensory overload for me? - I get into DCS and the A10, invest in a Warthog, pedals and Track IR start to learn the A10 and become proficient in the airmanship and handling the aircraft. As most will atest to, it is a challenge but as a diciplined type of guy I didn't want to progress until I could fly it and fly it well. Would you beleive I haven't fired a shot in in the A10 yet?

And it pretty much looks I may never get to now the Huey is out!!! It really is what I once hoped flight sims would evolve into. problem I have is I have 2 fabulous sims to learn and only one life to do it in. I simply can't find the time to do both and based on my recent Huey Beta experiences it looks like the Huey may just win my affections.

Its going to take hours to become as proficient as I would like which means something will have to go. Also I think this sim (without a HUD) will translate brilliantly to a HD projector as the main display and an purpose built seat (which I'll fabricate myself) will just take it to the next level.

So from the other end of the learning curve, I echo the sentiments on the useful nature of this forum.

Waitscat

i7 7700 @ 4.7GHz--GTX1080ti--Samsung SSD 500GB--32 gigs of RAM--TH Warthog--Crosswinds rudder--HP Reverb--Dedicated Sim room.

Would you beleive I haven't fired a shot in in the A10 yet?

Waitscat

Yes I certainly would, think it took me around 6 months, before I moved onto the weapon systems on A10, like yourself I like to be confident with every bit before I move on. That said, when I head back to it after a few months away, ill still find I have forgotten stuff and have to relearn, that's what's so great about these study sims.

While I've had a few plays at wess's missions since getting the Huey, I spend most of my time, in circuits around the airfield, practicing the basics, takeoff, landing, hovering, autorotation. Only when I have finally got those mastered will I move onto navigation, pinpoint landings, using the helicopter as an attack platform etc.

Slow but sure, and with every hrs flying time, I gain in the Huey, I can physically feel and see my flying improving, that in itself is a great feeling, and hopefully if I can master this beast when it's overly twitchy, then when the Improved FM is released on the next update, hopefully it will mean I should be able to handle anything she throws at me.

No one here will ever knock you for only learning 1 or 2 modules. I think I you ask about, you may find that while we may own the modules, we only actively fly 1.

Good flying sir.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]