Status update June 2015

In case you missed this in the other thread...

Anyway, with Typhoon as you can imagine we had to do a lot of research and discussions on what we could include in the public version compared to the military version.

We now have a very firm outline of what that is.

That is currently being produced into a sort of schematic project plan.

At the same time we are exploring what DCS can and can't do with regards to systems and what our team has knowledge with and what other teams have knowledge with and if we're not sure we'll reach out to our friends in other development teams for pointers and help.

We're also looking at what technology is already available; TAD, TGP, Etc. from the A-10C and what we can use changing some symbology.

Following our last trip to Conningsby we decided to completely re-model the external and internal cockpit models. The old model was one we developed for a project for the RAF back in 2009 and was not up to current DCS levels.

Once I receive the cockpit model I will implement the switch test system, as I did with Hawk which sets the foundation for the advanced system model (ASM).

This helps and aids the programmers in checking code for functions and in something like Typhoon is essential.

Hawk has over 170 switches, buttons and dials. Typhoon has many more with multiple functions in each MHDD push button for example.

So the foundation needs to be right the first time.

The base flight model (EFM) has already started to be worked on and will be tweaked once we have the model.

Animations of external and internal flight model will start when the model is complete.

One feature of the MHDD's is they change automatically based in a set of parameters; aircraft start up, taxi, take off, combat, Etc..

Again we are researching how best to implement that in DCS.

All new areas not done before in DCS...

So, when will it be out. To be honest when it's ready...my aim is by end of this year but we'll see when we start getting into systems code and the hundreds of pages for the MHDD's.

This is currently our biggest project, in line with the NH-90 for systems functionality and we can share a lot between the two aircraft.

We are also looking to see if we can create a base template for all-glass cockpit systems; unlikely but if we can it will save time in future military and public projects.

Hope that's enough of an update for you :)

Thanks,

Chris.

One feature of the MHDD's is they change automatically based in a set of parameters; aircraft start up, taxi, take off, combat, Etc..

So, when will it be out. To be honest when it's ready...my aim is by end of this year but we'll see when we start getting into systems code and the hundreds of pages for the MHDD's.

Wow! Seriously, hundreds of pages! That sounds like a ton a work, it will also be a ton of work learning how to operate it. ;)

This is a really exciting project, the Typhoon will undoubtedly become the 500 lb Gorilla of DCS - probably for a while.

Interesting to know there will still be a big divide between real and DCS capability, mostly because so many features are still classified. Quite a project.

Good luck with it. Can't wait to see it done - I'm trying to wait patiently...well, more patiently than the P-40F or Vampire. :thumbup:

-Nick

Anyway, with Typhoon as you can imagine we had to do a lot of research and discussions on what we could include in the public version compared to the military version.

At the same time we are exploring what DCS can and can't do with regards to systems and what our team has knowledge with and what other teams have knowledge with and if we're not sure we'll reach out to our friends in other development teams for pointers and help.

We're also looking at what technology is already available; TAD, TGP, Etc. from the A-10C and what we can use changing some symbology.

Following our last trip to Conningsby we decided to completely re-model the external and internal cockpit models. The old model was one we developed for a project for the RAF back in 2009 and was not up to current DCS levels.

Once I receive the cockpit model I will implement the switch test system, as I did with Hawk which sets the foundation for the advanced system model (ASM).

This helps and aids the programmers in checking code for functions and in something like Typhoon is essential.

Hawk has over 170 switches, buttons and dials. Typhoon has many more with multiple functions in each MHDD push button for example.

The base flight model (EFM) has already started to be worked on and will be tweaked once we have the model.

Animations of external and internal flight model will start when the model is complete.

This is currently our biggest project, in line with the NH-90 for systems functionality and we can share a lot between the two aircraft.

We are also looking to see if we can create a base template for all-glass cockpit systems; unlikely but if we can it will save time in future military and public projects.

Thanks,

Chris.

That was an awesome update, lots of good info , but for gods sake, stop saying you are hoping for this year. You and I both know there is no way you are getting this module out this year. We are still waiting on the HAWK AFM, we are now in June with no release date is sight and this is a module that was finished and ready for sale last March.

Well don't forget Hawk was our first module for DCS so a hell of a lot of lessons learnt on integration there. Stuff we don't have to go through again thankfully.

Typhoon obviously brings its own unique challenges but we have a very good team of 30+ to help and assist. The knowledge sharing is unbelievable!!

They are not all for Typhoon by the way, I mean in VEAO Dev team.

Very very encouraging. It is definitely a good foundation for this epic model. I have every confidence that this will make a huge splash in the DCS environment. Will we worry if it takes a little longer - nope! We had a long wait for the MiG-21Bis, and that was definitely worth it. No doubt this will move DCS World forwards in just like that superb module did.

Nice one guys.

Well don't forget Hawk was our first module for DCS so a hell of a lot of lessons learnt on integration there. Stuff we don't have to go through again thankfully.

Typhoon obviously brings its own unique challenges but we have a very good team of 30+ to help and assist. The knowledge sharing is unbelievable!!

They are not all for Typhoon by the way, I mean in VEAO Dev team.

I was referring to the post PMAN made on Simhq stating that the Hawk was ready for sale in Feb 2014 and the only thing holding it up were the legal issues, of course we know now that was true especially when you consider the 2 monthish long landing bug.

I was referring to the post PMAN made on Simhq stating that the Hawk was ready for sale in Feb 2014 and the only thing holding it up were the legal issues, of course we know now that was true especially when you consider the 2 monthish long landing bug.

To be fair, the landing bug was only discovered after release. There was a legal delay, and that WAS what stopped them releasing it sooner. Try to stick to the facts, and don't distort the events just to try and point score.

VEAO have always been straight with us, and to say otherwise is simply contemptible!

Respect & Good luck with the project - Sky is the limit:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i5 4690K | ASUS Z-97PRO Gaming Mobo | Nvidia Gigabyte GTX970 3.5/0.5 GB Windforce3 | G.Skill Ripjaws-X 2x8GB DDR3 1600Mhz | Samsung Evo 120GB SSD | Win10 Pro | Antec 750w 80 Bronze Modular

As Neil said we did have a massive delay with legal issues and then got hit with the landing bug in a DCS version change and then had to change our copy protection system to Starforce to be in-line with all other modules. All pretty much out of our control.

All those three were massive lessons we have learnt like I said already, among many more lessons learnt on Hawk :)

To be fair, the landing bug was only discovered after release. There was a legal delay, and that WAS what stopped them releasing it sooner. Try to stick to the facts, and don't distort the events just to try and point score.

VEAO have always been straight with us, and to say otherwise is simply contemptible!

So when the legal issues were worked out, they should have been able to release right away, that wasn't even close the case , was it.

As I said, this is a great update but only a fool would believe this module is going to be out this year. **cough**cough* P40, AFM for Hawk**

• ED Team
So when the legal issues were worked out, they should have been able to release right away, that wasn't even close the case , was it.

As I said, this is a great update but only a fool would believe this module is going to be out this year. **cough**cough* P40, AFM for Hawk**

You have made your point, time to drop it.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Excellent news, thanks for the update.

Finger crossed for end of the year :)

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks,

Chris.

Chris,

Thank you for posting this. It is probably the most concise and clear explanation of all the different aspects and considerations in play to produce a flight simulator.

Gary

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Mental note to self: "Next time I find a bug, don't tell anybody, so VEAO can release the module in time" :doh:

Had not the Version update introduced(!) the landing bug (as in: everything worked fine before the DCS update) they could have released the Hawk, unless the legal issues were not solved!

If I hadn't stumbled upon that one after the update, the Hawk may have been released two monthas earlier... Defenitely not a "trick" or whatever. Ells was very open about the issue and kept the comunity informed all the time.:huh:

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

As Neil said we did have a massive delay with legal issues and then got hit with the landing bug in a DCS version change and then had to change our copy protection system to Starforce to be in-line with all other modules. All pretty much out of our control.

All those three were massive lessons we have learnt like I said already, among many more lessons learnt on Hawk :)

What's the "landing bug"?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core I7 4820K @4.3 GHz, Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16 GB RAM @ 933 MHz, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB VRAM, Windows 10 Pro

What's the "landing bug"?

I made my second testflight with the release candidate and did a nice approach... Next thing was the Hawk touching down, like glued to the runway and it stopped in some 100-200ft. After that you couldn't move the Hawk anymore.

First I was the only one who had it. After a while other testers ran into it as well, and what ever we tried to nail it, it came back again.

First start and landing was OK, next and successive landings the bug was back...

Cost a lot of people a good nights sleep! :D

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

The key was it was resolved. Naturally in any major software system - with the complexity and moving goalposts that go hand in hand with ongoing development - bugs are inevitable and a challenge faced by all the development teams. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.

Release time frames are needed to give impetus and targets to any project team. Not meeting them isn't the end of the world if the project fulfils it's other objectives. Anyone who has an interest in DCS World must surely see that by now, as it effects every development team.

Criticising these guys regarding matters beyond their control is totally unfair, and adds nothing to the discussion. The bottom line is that any commercial operation relies on cash flow, and that motive alone will always mean they'll do their utmost to get their projects to the marketplace just as soon as humanly possible. Telling them they're too slow is about as much use as undercarriage on a Maverick!

No one wants these projects to succeed more than the developers who have ploughed massive resources into them already.

• ED Team
Mental note to self: "Next time I find a bug, don't tell anybody, so VEAO can release the module in time" :doh:

Had not the Version update introduced(!) the landing bug (as in: everything worked fine before the DCS update) they could have released the Hawk, unless the legal issues were not solved!

If I hadn't stumbled upon that one after the update, the Hawk may have been released two monthas earlier... Defenitely not a "trick" or whatever. Ells was very open about the issue and kept the comunity informed all the time.:huh:

Guys, I asked him to drop it and he agreed, not fair to keep egging it on...

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png