How to Takeoff in the Dora

SimFreak

I dont know what all the anger is about... I got the fw while the sale was still going on, havent watched much videos on how to takeoff and land and i havent crashed once...

It was like this the first week it came out but died down later on when most of us figured it out. Just wait unit the K4 gets here ...

I dont know what all the anger is about... I got the fw while the sale was still going on, havent watched much videos on how to takeoff and land and i havent crashed once...

Turn off rudder assist . It's under options special. Comments like yours are so special and welcome to so many.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy and I've had both.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

New to DCS Dora...tested yesterday and without any assistant..it was very challenging...manage to roll plane to start of runway :joystick:

Two takeoff tests...two crashes....:D. Prolly I need more training...

I also had mistake on my Warthog setup so that was making things difficult.

With this Dora it's time to change my Ch Pro Pedals right break potentiometer (I have new one waiting)..it could be easier to brake if both brake pedals are working with same curve.

Edited by Iku64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

HP Z420 | Xeon E5-1650 @3.20GHz/3.70Ghz | 16Gb DDR3-1333 | ZOTAC GTX 980 Ti AMP! | Micron RealSSD C400 256Gb | Sound Blaster Z | TrackIR4 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog| CH Pro pedals | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

As the Dora was one of my first planes in DCS I had a bit of a hard time at first even taxiing and taking off.

But since I´m pretty new in this whole flightsim stuff I just kept on practicing - wasn´t sure if I could do it without pedals but after many craters left on the airfield I got the hang of it.

Same thing with landings - meanwhile I´ve got pedals which makes things easier for me and though I still have troubles from time to time to land properly it get´s better every time I try it.

So I´m still considering myself a noob regarding to flightsims but with a little bit of practice even I think it isn´t too hard to TO/land.

Edited by golani79

A student learning to drive a car, crashes his car into a tree.... stupid car behaviours...

little funny boy or what ?

what i wrote was my way to take off this thing..the same way i do with P51 and all other planes i flew in most games.

And further more i have books were the pilot is mention he take off only with half throttle (was a 109) because he dont like the much torque effect of the DB605, furthermore he thought it is better for "his" engine. It should give up full power when he need it and not at any take off....in russian front spare parts and engines wre rare !

so why are some DCS people so arrogant ? And asking one ex Dora Pilot who is really nothing....ask 10 pilots and you will become min. 5 complete different answers !

I dont care what game writers tell in handbooks...i learn it my own way and find the 2500rpm or a 2700 at grass is perfect...for me. Anybody should find his own solution.

i take of and land the ****iong Dora with crosswind at 8m/s but it´s behaviour is bullshit....ok for you it´s realistic :D

Edited by kubanloewe

WIN 10; i9-9900K@4,8GHz; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus;32GB Corsair DDR4 3600MHz; 2TB Samsung SSD; GeForce GTX1080 8GB Seahawk; 34" AW3418DW; MS FFB2 Stick

• ED Team

Easy sparky, no need to get so upset, but because you have troubles doesnt immediately point to a problem with the sim....

little funny boy or what ?

what i wrote was my way to take off this thing..the same way i do with P51 and all other planes i flew in most games.

And further more i have books were the pilot is mention he take off only with half throttle (was a 109) because he dont like the much torque effect of the DB605, furthermore he thought it is better for "his" engine. It should give up full power when he need it and not at any take off....in russian front spare parts and engines wre rare !

so why are some DCS people so arrogant ? And asking one ex Dora Pilot who is really nothing....ask 10 pilots and you will become min. 5 complete different answers !

I dont care what game writers tell in handbooks...i learn it my own way and find the 2500rpm or a 2700 at grass is perfect...for me. Anybody should find his own solution.

i take of and land the ****iong Dora with crosswind at 8m/s but it´s behaviour is bullshit....ok for you it´s realistic :D

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Easy sparky, no need to get so upset, but because you have troubles doesnt immediately point to a problem with the sim....

did i mention i have trouble ? no i mention how i take off !

:doh:

btw. it´s just a game based on my old LockOn and the Dora reminds me a bit to much on the IL2 Dora.....cockpit bar ....hahaha hundreds of thread sites :D

WIN 10; i9-9900K@4,8GHz; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus;32GB Corsair DDR4 3600MHz; 2TB Samsung SSD; GeForce GTX1080 8GB Seahawk; 34" AW3418DW; MS FFB2 Stick

Assuming no wind, or negligible wind, simply align with the rw centerline and....

- pull the stick towards you to lock the tail wheel

- promptly apply power towards full combat ( 3200 rpm if I'm not wrong ? ), and the tendency of the aircraft to swing is slight. There will be a natural tendency to drift to the left, which must be promptly but smoothly countered with right rudder

- as you reach around 150 km/h, ease the stick...

From there on you will be leaving the ground :-)

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

I have no rudder pedals, but I found that once I lock the tail wheel I can still turn. So, I get to the runway and do some fine tuned alignment with the tail wheel locked the whole time. Then I smoothly apply throttle and let her go. When I feel there is enough speed I ease the stick to center and the tail comes up and the plane rises gently with a very shallow climb. It really helped me to watch a track of my last failed takeoff attempt. It was too aggressive a climb angle.:pilotfly:

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

If it reminds you of the IL2 Dora, then you are definitely doing it wrong ;)

how can i do it wrong when i bring her up alive :doh:

ok i have no expensive rudder and brake pedals, only my FFB stick with twist....enough for DCS, hahaha.

anyway, the inflight model feels not so much different from IL2 :smilewink:.

the behaviour like a spring when flying in turbulence is the same as in IL2.

never thought this should be realistic. Brick flying over 20000m is also there :D

Edited by kubanloewe

A challenge for sure and you can not get lazy or it will bite you. Right now I am about 50-50 after 3 days, seem to have more success not using full power but maxing it at 2500 rpm.

Think the X65-F is working against me as going from locked position for tailwheel is to abrupt.

Under strong x-win, and due to the deflected propwash ( DCS being probably the **only** flight simulator modeling this effect ?) over the downwind wind and portion of the horizontal stab, careful application of throttle makes the difference!

Slowly apply throttle, and gain speed until your tail surfaces are efficient, and only then increase to full takeoff power.

Edited by jcomm

I used to be able to take-off no problems but have had a few crashes and shaky starts lately. I guess I've over-thunk it now :P

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Well,

I have been learning how to deal with extreme crosswinds - x-wind component equal or superior to 7 m/s ~14 knot...

One of the things I noticed is that for medium weights ( 60% fuel, no bombs or rockets ), one should really:

1) Smoothly apply throttle. Don't firewall it.... Gain speed to build tail surface efficiency and reduce the propwash flow speed and deflection;

2) Do not use flaps, unless you're really heavy....

This way I could yesterday perfectly takeoof with direct x-wind components ( from 90º ) up to 11 m/s ~ 22 knot !!!

Remember to lock the tail wheel.

I just ram the throttle to the max and relase the brakes and simply use the rudder to steer.

At 100-150 km/h center the stick, 200 km/ we're in the air!

Nothing special or hard to do..

I'm using TM 16000m.

I have to say that having the rudder assist turned on full blast is much easier to takeoff with than without...:thumbup:

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

• 2 weeks later...

I just can't understand why this bird drops down left wing so easy at takeoff......it feels so wrong behavior. Even if my stick is almost full right it drops wing to left...I'm confused...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

HP Z420 | Xeon E5-1650 @3.20GHz/3.70Ghz | 16Gb DDR3-1333 | ZOTAC GTX 980 Ti AMP! | Micron RealSSD C400 256Gb | Sound Blaster Z | TrackIR4 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog| CH Pro pedals | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Ok...turned off wind and changed trimtab to -0.015.. it helped but there is still many things that I don't understand in fly dynamics...(I haven't fly real Dora so can't argue of anything)

Edited by Iku64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hmm..funniest thing is that you have takeoff position for flaps...but if you use them...you can't takeoff..:). Now I can get this damn bird off field if I use no flaps as somewhere have suggested to takeoff....but landing will need practice....back to the school...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hmm..funniest thing is that you have takeoff position for flaps...but if you use them...you can't takeoff..:). Now I can get this damn bird off field if I use no flaps as somewhere have suggested to takeoff....but landing will need practice....back to the school...

Flaps in a cross wind makes the DCS Mustang more difficult, perhaps so with the Dora. No need to use full power on takeoff though, less power/torque may help.

Taking off in the Dora with a 500Kg bomb - now that's a handful!

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit