Mic for voice acting any advice?

WildBillKelsoe

Total newb here. I am looking to start developing in-depth missions for DCS. Full blown, with emphasis on realism. One thing I lack so far is a decent microphone for voice acting. Anyone with hx of voice acting could shed some light on setups, mics and hardware. Apologies to moderators if this should be in hardware section (its not simming hardware, is it? :megalol: )

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

what about MXL 990 USB or do you prefer analog with USB preamp (or is it amplifier) (for better control on popping, etc) (I will also purchase or at least fabricate a pop filter, a shock mount, and a stand)..

http://www.amazon.com/MXL-990-Powered-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B000P5LWQG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1401600836&sr=8-2&keywords=mxl+990+usb

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

what about MXL 990 USB or do you prefer analog with USB preamp (or is it amplifier) (for better control on popping, etc) (I will also purchase or at least fabricate a pop filter, a shock mount, and a stand)..

http://www.amazon.com/MXL-990-Powered-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B000P5LWQG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1401600836&sr=8-2&keywords=mxl+990+usb

I have little preference as to interface. I have a bunch of amps and PC interfaces around, so it was never an issue.

The 990 looks good -- but I haven't used one myself. The SM58 is tried and tested, and has been used by everything from Bee Gees to Black Metal.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Save your money. Keep in mind that after a voice track has been created for a mission the next thing to do is to modify the voice so it sounds like it is coming through a radio. That means eliminating frequencies and causing an overall deterioration of the original track. Then you add static on top of that. My point is, why be concerned with the quality when you plan on modifying it anyway? I use the cheapest mic money can't buy for voice overs and after modification and added sound effects I doubt that anyone would know how much I had spent. I also use a free program called Audacity for editing and it works just fine. PM me for a link to a sound effects package that you may find useful.

Edited by Blooze

not only do I intend to use for DCS, I intend to create audio tutorials, narrations for topics of interest and what not. I can settle with my fatal1ty boom mic (and I've created airbus pilot voice for AXE in FSX using it and audacity as well as Spek for frequency and dB modulation to edit), but I'd rather get that extra mile.

I use a Samson C03U (Amazon link) for podcasting and am very happy with it. It's Plug&Play with USB. Audio quality is superb, and it can also be used for a wide range of applications because of the different recording patterns that can be selected.

However, I highly recommend a solid stand (at 1 kg the mic is pretty heavy and a suitable stand therefore was quite expensive compared to your standard mic stand), a spider and a pop filter. All around, the equipment set me back some 250 Euros, but it's quite worth it IMO.

I don't have any extensive knowledge in the recording sector, this is just what works well for me. :thumbup:

• ED Team
not only do I intend to use for DCS, I intend to create audio tutorials, narrations for topics of interest and what not. I can settle with my fatal1ty boom mic (and I've created airbus pilot voice for AXE in FSX using it and audacity as well as Spek for frequency and dB modulation to edit), but I'd rather get that extra mile.

The main problem you will encounter is echo. And to find a place where you can eliminate it will be the problem greater than the mike you searching.

USB Samson C03 is good except the noise level... but it's a minor problem if you have a noise supressor like in old Cool Edit , for example.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

The main problem you will encounter is echo. And to find a place where you can eliminate it will be the problem greater than the mike you searching.

Since you usually record in a static environment (as compared to cell phones, where echo cancellation must be done with adaptive filters), measuring the impulse response and multiplying the signal in the frequency domain with the inverse should do quite nicely... (e.g. it's very easy to calculate the impulse response out of an MLS measurement)

Should be less cost intensive than putting a lot of absorbers into your recording room.

On the other hand, winter is coming and i'm sure you know what they used for free field recordings before it was possible to build anechoic chambers. :)

Regarding the OP, an SM 58 will probably be more than enough and they are quite rugged and practically indestructible (people have driven cars over them to prove a point). :) If you consider such an expense, you should also go for a decent preamp/interface, or it will not pay off. Depending on how you will process the audio however, i agree with blooze that it may be overkill. Your target audience will probably not be able to tell the difference. The one thing i would look out for is that your setup has a decent signal to noise ratio.

In professional studio setups where money is not an issue, condenser mics are usually used because they tend to have a more linear frequency response. This does however require that your interface is capable of supplying phantom power. The price point of a decent condenser mic will however not be worth it in your situation.

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

I can always date a singer and ask to use her booth for recording :D

But seriously though, I am not looking for something fancy, just above average and in the cheap.

The only thing I can say is from my experience as a musician/singer/songwriter etc.

That is, unless you spend a fair bit of money on a good mic (eg: omnidirectional) and a decent portable recording studio and/or Equalizer/Amp etc etc, one thing people often find is that they don't sound like "they think they sound" in the audible world.

Even with proper mic's and processing, most people will still say "they don't like the sound of their own voice OR is just doesn't sound right".

That said, I tend to agree with Blooze.

I think you could easily and satisfactorily record yourself using any headset mic (or other mic that you use in Multiplayer) and Windows Wave Maker (or whatever it's called) ... any free recording software, and I think you will be quite satisfied with the end product. Especially after adding in or modifying for the sound effects.

I believe this will be an equally suitable solution for any Narrating.

PS> If you need any other Voice Over's .. i.e. different voices, I'd be happy to add "My Beautiful Voice" !! LOL

I even have a great FM Radio Broadcasting .. Monotone (i.e Boring) voice if needed.

SnowTiger:joystick:

Sound engineering is my business, and as been well said, get a 58 and a good quality USB preamp, that is all you need.

The audio is gonna be so compressed, that you will throw your money if you buy a more high-end mic and the 58 has the pop filter built-in for the same price .

and I know...is a old cliché, but give it a try, use your bathroom to record.

Even with proper mic's and processing, most people will still say "they don't like the sound of their own voice OR is just doesn't sound right".

In principle, that has nothing to do with the equipment or the quality of the sound engineering, but the fact that the majority of what you hear of your own voice is transmitted by bone. Once you hear a recording, you hear how other people perceive your voice (through transmission by air) and that sounds, to oneself, extremely unusual. If you were to make a recording of your voice with a transducer off of your temporal bone, it would sound more usual to you but completely whacky to anybody else.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

• ED Team

Making player's VO for Ka-50 I used an equaliser and a special track to imitate player's bone perception :).

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Ah, by the way, if you date a singer and she does the job, she will ask for some royalties afterwords....:thumbup:

Like what for instance? Sounding? :smilewink:

Total newb here. I am looking to start developing in-depth missions for DCS. Full blown, with emphasis on realism. One thing I lack so far is a decent microphone for voice acting. Anyone with hx of voice acting could shed some light on setups, mics and hardware. Apologies to moderators if this should be in hardware section (its not simming hardware, is it? :megalol: )

Bill, check your PMs.

I know I'm going back a few years...mid to late 70s :) when I was an engineer working at Grampian Records

We used Calrec 1000 series mics in the main, which actual model depended on the characteristics of the performance being recorded. If the performer was particularly sibilant then we would use a Neuman U67 mic as it had better sibilance reduction.

But then again in the band I played in we used Shure mics - mainly because we could not afford the Clarecs

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

In principle, that has nothing to do with the equipment or the quality of the sound engineering, but the fact that the majority of what you hear of your own voice is transmitted by bone. .

I understand and agree. All I was saying is that regardless how much money someone might spend on mics and equipment, the still might not be satisfied with what they hear. It won't necessarily be because of the equipment they use.

Therefore, and due to the likelihood that there will be post-processing to get Mic Clicks and Radio Static etc included in the voice tracks (other than the narrating), I am suggesting that WildBillKelsoe may well be satisfied with the equipment he currently has without any significant investment.

It's just an opinion/suggestion.

SnowTiger:joystick:

• 2 weeks later...

I might even use my fatal1ty mic but process and add special effects from my TV (my friends could play BF4 on it and shoot rounds as a gun fight or explosions, etc... ) I can record that and add as overlay..

The Shure SM58 is best used for live vocals and recording instruments. I'd recommend using the Shure Beta 58 for vocals as it will give a better result, or a Rode NT1 or similar. The Rode microphones are very well made and are reasonably priced. Also, a good microphone pre amp can help give a more warm valve sound. Presonus make some good preamps. Add a few FX and you should get a fairly good result.

Cheers, Scream.